Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

I've had a serious bout of insomnia lately so lots of tv time.  I'm catching up with the CW superhero shows.  Not that impressed and have already dropped Arrow.  I started Godless, but kept zoning out so might try to check it out in the daytime.  I'm going to start season 2 of Glitch on Netflix, the show about people coming back from the dead.  

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Just finished the Longmire final season... it was a little weird...  adding Vikings, and Agents of Shield into the rotation this week... considering what to binge next...

Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the final season of Longmire. I was debating starting Glitch. Seasons and 1 and 2 are only 6 episodes each, so not too big of a time commitment. Dark, which I've been looking forward to,  starts on December 1 and Vikings starts tonight.

I finally managed to finish all of Mad Men

I started years ago but because I was watching it on DVD I never got past the 4th season and if I couldn't watch it regularly I'd lose interest. So me and the mrs binged all 7 seasons in maybe a month or so. 

And wow. What a show. I cannot describe how sad I feel knowing that there are no more episodes for me to watch. I feel like I've been living with these characters for so long and I feel so close to them that I have a real sense of loss now! Its just one of the most perfectly written shows I've ever seen, and even the later seasons which sometimes were not quite as perfect, had so many incredible episodes and moments that I think this show will stay with me forever. 

The Czech series Wasteland (Pustina) has been added to HBO On Demand so I checked out the first episode. A Czech mayor's daughter goes missing on the day of a referendum for the sale of land to a foreign mining company. Interesting first episode. Small town so I'm sure the mayor will suspect each of her neighbors at some point, but I like the atmosphere so far.

I watched Hacksaw Ridge. It was good. The beginning was a little slow (and his relationship with his girlfriend, sweet as it was, was uninteresting), and the very ending, the second battle, Gibson flubbed with some terribly cheesy directorial choices, but the meat of the film- the training, the main battle, and the rescue, I thought he nailed. And Garfield was really good.

On 20.11.2017 at 8:04 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

"Shameless" has been interesting this Season. They are actually doing a "Good Frank" with K. Macy's character and even though thats an enormous twist, i'm actually enjoying it.

Agreed. Quite an unexpected development, but it works just fine. Lip staying sober for so long is also bit surprising. The only thing I'm not buying so far is Fiona the landlady, it's not her. Still wondering if we ever gonna see Jimmy/Steve again. Probably not, which is a shame, I liked him.

On 11/26/2017 at 0:15 AM, Nictarion said:

Went and saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, tonight. It’s excellent. Tough call between it and Wind River as my favorite film of the year. Just a perfect balance of dark humor and drama. You would be hard pressed to find a recent film with a cast as good as this one, Frances McDormand, Woody Harreleson, Sam Rockwell, John Hawkes, Clarke Peters, Peter Dinklage, Kerry Condon, Lucas Hedges... It’s pretty much impossible to upstage Frances McDormand (who’s a national treasure) but Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson were both great as well. Especially Rockwell. I highly recommend it.

Totally agree about everything. This movie was excellent and the superb cast really delivered on all fronts. McDormand better win awards for this. She was amazing and her incredible range was on full display throughout. Besides being funny I was surprised at how touching it was as a few scenes had me close to tearing up. I hope more people go and see this. 

I rewatched Wind River a few days ago and these two are also my top movies of the year.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

I've had a serious bout of insomnia lately so lots of tv time.  I'm catching up with the CW superhero shows.  Not that impressed and have already dropped Arrow.  I started Godless, but kept zoning out so might try to check it out in the daytime.  I'm going to start season 2 of Glitch on Netflix, the show about people coming back from the dead.  

At which point did you drop Arrow? I've decided to also catch up on the DC CW shows - just to see what people are constantly talking about. I hadn't seen any of them until a few months ago. I was always aware that they're not supposed to be top quality and that they have lots of lame romantic plots in particular, but I'm watching them as background noise/(un)pleasant semi-distraction while working. This is a great strategy for watching bad shows - I've even managed to get through Inhumans and season 7 of The Walking Dead that way.

So far I've seen Supergirl season 1 (starts terrible, becomes watchable/almost OK at times but still really cheesy), Arrow season 1 (surprisingly good, especially the ending), season 2 (still mostly good but with some stupid/annoying things), and now I'm nearing the end of Arrow season 3 (notably worse than the first 2 - half of it is atrocious, half of it is OK) and The Flash season 1 (intentionally cheesy at times, but fun and feels great after the disaster that's a lot of Arrow season 3). I'm bracing myself for Arrow season 4, since, from what I've heard, it's utterly atrocious and has all the things I hate in season 3, only up to 11.

such as all the forced, cringeworthy Olicity romance stuff.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:55 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Since I abandoned Sons of Anarchy, I've hit a pretty rich vein of TV viewing:

-The Americans S1-3 has been very good and I'm looking forward to S4
Stranger Things 2 was good and not too much of a horror flick
Ozark was pretty good (reviews were mixed on this) albeit pretty derivative and quite slow paced, but overall well done.  

Godless is up next for some long flights on Wednesday-Friday this week, and The Americans S4.  I do most of my TV watching on an iPad during flights.  I'm getting tempted to do a Breaking Bad rewatch sometime in the new year -- I think it's three years now since I binged the entire show in just 2-3 months.

My wife is watching Charmed.  We are just light years apart in our TV tastes.  That said, I've been saving GoT S7, Westworld, Outlander (S3?) and Black Sails (S4?) for a TV binge over the Christmas break.  I think we'll both like the first two, while the latter two have one like and one tolerate from each of us, so that's pretty good common ground for some shared TV viewing.

Movie-wise, we went to see Murder On The Orient Express with friends, which is our first movie theater experience since a couple of kid movies for our son in the summer (Despicable Me 3 was terrible).  I thought it was pretty well done even though I knew the ending already.  And I persuaded my wife that we shouldn't all go to see Justice League over the Thanksgiving weekend, which I'm counting as a win.  We already have tickets bought for The Last Jedi on 12/15.

Season 4 of The Americans is awesome.
My ranking of seasons so far would be: Season 4 > Season 3 > Season 1 > Season 2 > Season 5.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

At which point did you drop Arrow? I've decided to also catch up on the DC CW shows - just to see what people are constantly talking about. I hadn't seen any of them until a few months ago. I was always aware that they're not supposed to be top quality and that they have lots of lame romantic plots in particular, but I'm watching them as background noise/(un)pleasant semi-distraction while working. This is a great strategy for watching bad shows - I've even managed to get through Inhumans and season 7 of The Walking Dead that way.

So far I've seen Supergirl season 1 (starts terrible, becomes watchable/almost OK at times but still really cheesy), Arrow season 1 (surprisingly good, especially the ending), season 2 (still mostly good but with some stupid/annoying things), and now I'm nearing the end of Arrow season 3 (notably worse than the first 2 - half of it is atrocious, half of it is OK) and The Flash season 1 (intentionally cheesy at times, but fun and feels great after the disaster that's a lot of Arrow season 3). I'm bracing myself for Arrow season 4, since, from what I've heard, it's utterly atrocious and has all the things I hate in season 3, only up to 11.

Reveal hidden contents

such as all the forced, cringeworthy Olicity romance stuff.

I think I gave up entirely in season 4ish.  I'm now caught up on all the other shows, including the crossover events.  I read a summary for to tell me what I missed.  Made all the rest of the DC CW shows more enjoyable to skip the Arrow watching and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. 

Finally got Wind River from netflix.  It was excellent as discussed quite a bit already in this thread, so I don't think I need to rehash that.  One thing that really bothered me was how they kept talking about how terribly cold it was, and, other than the scenes when it was actually snowing, nary a puff of condensation was to be seen.

The fourth and final season of AMC's Revolutionary drama concerning Washington's spy network is now up and streaming from Netflix.

The tension and suspense are even higher than before, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

It's such a relief, however, to find tension and suspense in situations that aren't about a kidnapped woman, and lost child, etc.  These are also matters of real substance.

It was funny though -- netflix sent the notice that Turn's 4th season was up, and I said to myself -- "What?  I already watched that!"  But no, what I'd done was read another book about Washington's intelligence service and about Benedict Arnold, who does show up in the historical situation.  As did Benjamin Franklin's son, the King's governor of New Jersey (though he's not in this series, naturally).

Archived