Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Finally got Wind River from netflix.  It was excellent as discussed quite a bit already in this thread, so I don't think I need to rehash that.  One thing that really bothered me was how they kept talking about how terribly cold it was, and, other than the scenes when it was actually snowing, nary a puff of condensation was to be seen.

Yah -- you see this all the time in the palaces of emperors, etc. of historicals made in China, Korea, and even England, even when it's supposed to be spring or summer, but not in Hollywood movies.

12 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Finally got Wind River from netflix.  It was excellent as discussed quite a bit already in this thread, so I don't think I need to rehash that.  One thing that really bothered me was how they kept talking about how terribly cold it was, and, other than the scenes when it was actually snowing, nary a puff of condensation was to be seen.

That's such a weird nitpick. They obviously weren't actually filming in those weather conditions, so what do you expect them to do, waste money to CGI that?

Use some suspense of disbelief. How would you watch a theatre play? They don't even try to create a realistic setting.

12 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

That's such a weird nitpick. They obviously weren't actually filming in those weather conditions, so what do you expect them to do, waste money to CGI that?

Use some suspense of disbelief. How would you watch a theatre play? They don't even try to create a realistic setting.

Suspension of disbelief (for most) isn't something you do on purpose. It's part of the filmmakers craft and their job to sort it out for you. And I haven't seen Windy River yet myself, but if they do constantly draw attention to the cold, then a small detail like that is a (minor, but visible) failure of that craft...

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:
1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Suspension of disbelief (for most) isn't something you do on purpose. It's part of the filmmakers craft and their job to sort it out for you. And I haven't seen Windy River yet myself, but if they do constantly draw attention to the cold, then a small detail like that is a (minor, but visible) failure of that craft...

Yep.  And they beat us over the head with how cold and dangerous it's supposed to be.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Actually, yes, it is something you do on purpose. When you're watching a fictional movie or show, you know you're watching something fictional rather a documentary, so you don't expect actors in The Last Kingdom to actually speak Old English or Old Norse, you don't expect aliens in the original 1960s Star Trek to look like anything other than a guy in a costume or a rug (unless they're one of those Trek aliens who looked 100% human), and you don't expect a movie with a 10 million $ budget to do CGI condensation. They're saying it's super cold? It's super cold then. If it were a theatre performance of a play, you would just get some obviously fake snow at best, or, if it's a more minimalistic production, you wouldn't get anything except characters saying it's cold - so just work with that, audience. That's why it's called suspension of disbelief. People have been doing it for thousands of years, since humans first started performing on stage.

Look, you can and should go into films willing to suspend your belief but if the film breaks you out of it by drawing attention to something that doesn't make sense or fit into the context, that's the film's failure.

The standards are different for a stage play. Obviously. Standards are different for different films and different moments (and heck yeah, from person to person). A sci-fi that makes a big deal of scientific verisimilutude is going to draw more notice for a sudden rubbish rubber alien than old Trek or Doctor Who. A film that sets out rigid, specific rules for its journey to the center of the mind but then breaks them is going to cause more people more issues than one that goes 'pffft fuck it dreams are weird' from the start.  A film that's set in a cold area but doesn't make a big deal of it is less likely to break someone's suspension than one that, as is apparently true of Windy River, one that repeatedly says look how fucking cold it is but misses out on an environmental detail of how cold it is. But stage plays are an entirely different medium and as such the standards there are even more different and bringing them up here is an irrelevant move.

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Look, you can and should go into films willing to suspend your belief but if the film breaks you out of it by drawing attention to something that doesn't make sense or fit into the context, that's the film's failure.

The standards are different for a stage play. Obviously. Standards are different for different films and different moments (and heck yeah, from person to person). A sci-fi that makes a big deal of scientific verisimilutude is going to draw more notice for a sudden rubbish rubber alien than old Trek or Doctor Who. A film that sets out rigid, specific rules for its journey to the center of the mind but then breaks them is going to cause more people more issues than one that goes 'pffft fuck it dreams are weird' from the start.  A film that's set in a cold area but doesn't make a big deal of it is less likely to break someone's suspension than one that, as is apparently true of Windy River, one that repeatedly says look how fucking cold it is but misses out on an environmental detail of how cold it is. But stage plays are an entirely different medium and as such the standards there are even more different and bringing them up here is an irrelevant move.

So, you're saying that people should never, never make movies tbat take place in exceptionally cold weather and that's not just casual thing but an important part of the movie, unless they are able to 1) ensure a big budget just to do CGI condensation, or 2) ensure filmimg only in locations with extremely cold weather and durimg the times when it's extremely cold, and find a cast and crew that are willing to and able to endure extremely cold weather?! :blink:

Went and saw the new Martin McDonagh flick Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night. Loved every second of it. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell were magnificent, as expected. Would have loved to see more of Peter Dinklage, but he made the most out of a small role. And, once again, McDonagh's dialogue is second to none.

6 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

So, you're saying that people should never, never make movies tbat take place in exceptionally cold weather and that's not just casual thing but an important part of the movie, unless they are able to 1) ensure a big budget just to do CGI condensation, or 2) ensure filmimg only in locations with extremely cold weather and durimg the times when it's extremely cold, and find a cast and crew that are willing to and able to endure extremely cold weather?! :blink:

It doesn't have to be extremely cold to see your breath.  It's not like they have to film in subzero temperatures for that to happen.

3 hours ago, matt b said:

Went and saw the new Martin McDonagh flick Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night. Loved every second of it. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell were magnificent, as expected. Would have loved to see more of Peter Dinklage, but he made the most out of a small role. And, once again, McDonagh's dialogue is second to none.

Us too.... really dug it...Frances MsDormand is great in everything she's in... Sam Rockwell killed... Woody Harrelson has really come into his own as an actor... very under rated...  plus Napoleon Dynamites grandma... and Sweet Pea from Sucker Punch...

"I was reading a book about Polio.... wait... which is the one with the horses?"

I finally watched the last 10 episodes I had left unwatched of The Sopranos. Excellent. I was afraid of a shitty finale, but I wasn;t disappointed.

Also, I continued watching Downtown Abbey from season 2 where I had left it. Sometimes I find it dull but I can't stop watching it...

This weekend I watched Atomic Blonde. Meh. I like Charlize Theron, but I think I've seen a lot of films like this, and better done. 

Also, these days my city is holding a Bizarre Movies Festival. I already watched a national candidate and I've been thinking on attending the screening of Hostile (2017).  I'll try going, but if not I'll just try find it online. 

11 hours ago, matt b said:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this. Trailer was interesting and reviews have been great.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Omg tonights show was brilliant comedy, just a treat for me.

Spoiler

"Susie, let me tell you something, okay?  I've known Sammi since she was born and one of the great joys in my life has been watching her blossom into this beautiful, sophisticated young lady.  I wouldn't miss her wedding.  No way."

"Oh, Lar, that's so sweet.  Are you serious?"

"No."

Fucking dying.

I've just watched American Sniper. Sadly because I expected it to be a bit of an 'obvious' film, maybe even like some other similar films I've seen before I was doing some writing while it was on and didn't give it my absolute full attention until close to the end. I recall all the controversy at the time of its release and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I found it surprisingly engaging. But it does make you ask all those questions like, why doesn't anyone think it's a good idea to check out the mental health of people whose job it is to focus on killing people instead of just expecting them to immediately fit back into family life (and what about work?) on their return. It's one of those things (I'm married to someone who served in the British Army) that kind of freaks me out the more I think about it. 

I watched a documentary called Bad Rap, about four Asian-American rappers and their struggles with finding success and their place within the Hip-Hop scene and community, as well as within mainstream media as well. It was good and really highlighted something that I never really though about with regards too Hip-Hop and Rap.

36 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

We are finishing up Dark on Netflix... Holy shit this show is really good... It's like stranger Things but much, much more serious... the young people in the main plot are older...we're watching it in dubbed in English, rather than subtitles...

Awesome. About to start it.

Archived