Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was sick these weekend and watched a ton of movies. Odd thing is I can't remember much about any of them. Guess that means they must not have been that good and/or I was delirious from the fever. 

Weren’t you unimpressed with Heathers? You were obviously delirious. :P

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Weren’t you unimpressed with Heathers? You were obviously delirious. :P

Honestly I think it’s an age thing. The people who told me I need to see it were teenagers when it came out. I was born a few years later and have seen several similar movies before seeing it, so the construct wasn’t new. It’s kind of like showing a kid Star Wars today. It’s not as impressive because they’ve already likely seen several quality space operas before.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I think it’s an age thing. The people who told me I need to see it were teenagers when it came out. I was born a few years later and have seen several similar movies before seeing it, so the construct wasn’t new. It’s kind of like showing a kid Star Wars today. It’s not as impressive because they’ve already likely seen several quality space operas before.

Kids fucking love Star Wars though.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's a goddamned shame. I love that film and even when I see it now it still cracks me up. I guess it's a bit like the people who read Snow Crash and then later on tried to read Neuromancer and were a little underwhelmed. :(

15 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Tony Perez, Dave Concepion, George Foster, Ken Griffey, Joe Morgan, Don Gullet........:D

How could you leave out Johnny Bench?... he was their best player!!!....lol

... We are starting Frontier, S2...  It's been two weeks since we went to see Justice League.... and the wife needs her Jason Momoa fix....lol...even though she'll see him Saturday at Ace Comic Con

Gads, I've been slogging through Frontier season 2 just as I slogged through season 1.  It should be a lot more interesting and exciting than it is.  What it is, is just, well, dreary.  Lots of pretty fur though.

Okay im full nerd tonight, watching an amazing episode on Animal Planet of a photographer in the Canadian Arctic following and filming a wolf pack that has never had human contact, its just awesome viewing. The episode is titled "The Snow Wolf Family and Me: Arctic Wolf Pack"

Last night I watched In Bruges for what I thought was the first time. And yet many parts of it felt familiar. Had I actually seen in before and forgotten or have I just seen so many little snippets of it that it just seems like I've seen it? Anyway. Fantastic performances from Farrell and Fiennes. All the stuff about Bruges being like a fairy tale had me cracking up.

On 5.12.2017 at 9:04 PM, polishgenius said:

Kids fucking love Star Wars though.

Yeah, I can confirm that on the example of my own girls (8 and 11). We started to watch Star Wars just few weeks ago. They've watched all of them but Rogue One by now and they're simply crazy about it. They want me to take'em on the Midnight premiere of Episode VIII.

17 hours ago, Isis said:

Last night I watched In Bruges for what I thought was the first time. And yet many parts of it felt familiar. Had I actually seen in before and forgotten or have I just seen so many little snippets of it that it just seems like I've seen it? Anyway. Fantastic performances from Farrell and Fiennes. All the stuff about Bruges being like a fairy tale had me cracking up.

I watched it for the first time a few weeks back and thought it was excellent. 

Heat was on yesterday and I caught it at the beginning. What a great film that is, the bank scene is still insane.

I watched A Most Violent Year while I was off sick this week. I don't know if it was because I didn't feel well but I didn't really care what happened to the characters. I just didn't engage with it. I thought it was an interesting role for Jessica Chastain, nice to see her do something 'complex' and multidimensional, and not necessarily be a 'nice girl'. 

Started watching Mindhunter last night. It's good but I'm a little disappointed with the sex scenes, seems a bit heavy-handed. I just wish people would do MORE with sex scenes. I think of The Affair as a show that uses sex scenes (and there are A LOT) to tell you stuff about the characters, so it doesn't feel gratuitous. I don't know, I just think sometimes sex gets shoehorned into series because there's an expectation that you need sex in a 'gritty adult series' but if it's not doing anything useful then it just irritates me. 

Just saw the last episode of Curb. Thought it was brilliant. Lin Manuel Miranda did a great job in the 2 episodes he was in. I enjoyed the conflicts he and Larry had. Looking back I think the highlight episodes of the season are 5,6,9, and 10. The show has grown away from the heavy improv scenes they did early on in the series, and I think that showed more this season, but still great stuff. Hope LD does another. 

Yeah, Curb really delivered for me as well. Loved almost every episode. 

I watched a new movie called Sweet Virginia starring Jon Bernthal and Christopher Abbott. It was getting pretty solid reviews but I thought it was just ok. I'm so used to seeing Bernthal as the tough guy and Abbott as a softy that it was kind of distracting seeing their roles reversed, even know Abbott did a solid job as a weirdo sociopath.

Archived