Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

Watched the second season of The Crown.  Despite the great acting, it's not a very well written show.  Nevertheless, I couldn't stop the binge.  It just continues to be endlessly fascinating to me that this family even exists, that the UK allows the monarchy to continue to exist.  It's bizarre and absurd and also somewhat heartbreaking.  What's the point of it all beyond some vague nods to tradition and tourism?

I like Kate?

Brooklyn nine- nine is back on season record mode again.  Turns out I wasn' burnt out on it, just needed a breather.   

Most of these artsy fartsy shows that get acclaim for how they portray early doctors or early silicon valley, eh, they seem to blow.  Viewers might just be obsessed with earliness, and TV has figured that out.  Mr Robot would be an early view of a chaos era?   Outlander is a first look at Ireland for womens.  She's the first timetraveler to beat the crowds and blaze a trail backwards, so she arrived much earlier.  Star Trek is giving us a bleeding edge preview of how we won't be willing to chase shows which don't offer themselves for viewing, so that's a first of a sort.    They're ahead of the game.   Earliness.  That's what it's all about.

I watched the Assassin's Creed film, which in retrospect was a poor choice. The plot was both stupid and silly, it felt a bit like Dan Brown trying to write science fiction. It's got a good cast but they most seem on autopilot given that there's barely any characterisation.

Been on a western kick lately.

Watched Bone Tomahawk. Brutally graphic movie. Lili Simmons did the best job of any role I've seen her in.

Hatfield And McCoys. It was okay.

Making my way through Godless. Filled with cliches I've seen before and more "Hollywood" than both of the shows I mentioned before. The opening credits show images of life in the West. It made me think of Deadwood's superior opening credits and how great of a montage of western life it summed up. Gold, whiskey, women, bloody meats, mud, horses, and with the fiddle playing in the background. 

I love Westerns.

Saw a vintage black and white TCM Western that was impressive. Starred Henry Fonda, Harry Morgan, Anthony Quinn. It was called "The Ox Bow Incident", was nominated for Best Picture but lost the Oscar to Casablanca.

Henry Fonda would later describe it as one the most important roles of his career.

I also enjoyed Hillary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones in a Western set in the Nebraska territories after the Civil War. That Movie is called "The Homesman".

51 minutes ago, briantw said:

Loving sober Frank on Shameless.  Waiting to see if this is all some elaborate scam.  :lol:

That’s probably over now that he got layed off. 

Kevin gets MVP of the tonight’s episode for me. His desire to be gay to spite V and Svetlana was cracking me up.

15 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Hide contents

That’s probably over now that he got layed off. 

Kevin gets MVP of the tonight’s episode for me. His desire to be gay to spite V and Svetlana was cracking me up.

Spoiler

Yeah, I typed that up before I finished the episode.  :lol:

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I love Westerns.

Saw a vintage black and white TCM Western that was impressive. Starred Henry Fonda, Harry Morgan, Anthony Quinn. It was called "The Ox Bow Incident", was nominated for Best Picture but lost the Oscar to Casablanca.

Henry Fonda would later describe it as one the most important roles of his career.

I also enjoyed Hillary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones in a Western set in the Nebraska territories after the Civil War. That Movie is called "The Homesman".

I DVR'd The Ox-Bow Incident the other day. I've had the novel on my TBR list for a while so will pick it up from the library before watching the film.

I never saw The Homesman, but it's another adaptation of a novel on my TBR list. I loved Glendon Swarthout's The Shootist (adapted into the film starring John Wayne) and have been meaning to try this other novel by Swarthout.

I finished the Czech noir mystery Wasteland(Pustina). It wasn't reinventing the wheel, so typical clichés and red herrings included, but I was quite interested in the depiction of small town, economically depressed life on the Czech/Polish border. I've read Walter Presents was showing  Agnieszka Holland's The Burning Bush  miniseries in the UK. I'm waiting to see when that will appear on HBO since it's an HBO Europe original.

Finally watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle tonight.  Not quite as good as the first, but still highly enjoyable.  I hope they continue making more of these.

Very sad that Merlin died - and I cannot see them bringing him back if they do make a third after pulling that with Firth this go round.  I did keep expecting Roxy to pop back up alive.

Right now I'm watching Baby Driver.  Been looking forward to it... forgot Kevin Spacey was in it :unsure:

I watched Bon Cop Bad Cop 2.  Definitely needed the English subtitles with this!  More than half the film was in Quebecois French, exceeding the original film which was more 50/50.

As for the plot, standard action fare.  A bit Fast & the Furious meets Lethal Weapon.  Not bad at all, fun even, but nothing new.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Finally watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle tonight.  Not quite as good as the first, but still highly enjoyable.  I hope they continue making more of these.

Pretty much how I felt about it.  Fun and enjoyable, and great action, but not as good as the first.  Then again, the first one was such a surprise that it would be hard for any sequel to recapture that magic. 

On 13/12/2017 at 5:12 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Hide contents

Very sad that Merlin died - and I cannot see them bringing him back if they do make a third after pulling that with Firth this go round.  I did keep expecting Roxy to pop back up alive.

I was a bit surprised as well that they killed off Roxy, after having gone to the effort of building up a character who was more or a less an equal to Eggsy in the first film and who thankfully didn't have to be the love interest as well they did kill her off very abruptly.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Hide contents

I was a bit surprised as well that they killed off Roxy, after having gone to the effort of building up a character who was more or a less an equal to Eggsy in the first film and who thankfully didn't have to be the love interest as well they did kill her off very abruptly.

Spoiler

No body.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

My weekend binge was season 1 of Romanzo Criminale. Took me a few eps to get into it but once I did I couldnt stop watching. Not the same feel as Gomorra but still similar in many ways. Kinda like an Italian tv show version of Scarface. 

I didn't know there was a series based on Romanzo Criminale.  That too is based on a novel by the same guys who wrote the novel, from which Suburra was based (there wasn't much cross-over between the novel and the television series):

https://www.europaeditions.com/book/9781609454074/suburra

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

My weekend binge was season 1 of Romanzo Criminale. Took me a few eps to get into it but once I did I couldnt stop watching. Not the same feel as Gomorra but still similar in many ways. Kinda like an Italian tv show version of Scarface. 

I had no idea there was a series. I enjoyed the 2005 film, even though the second half of the film was a bit long-winded.

I just saw Gunpowder is premiering on HBO tomorrow night. I'll probably check it out. Haven't heard much of anything about it. Any UK boarders who have seen it care to share opinions?

Archived