Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

34 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Have you seen Patriot? I would recommend checking out the pilot. 

I've been meaning to watch Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton too at some point.

I watched the pilot after work the day it was released and fell asleep - I don't think that had anything to do with the show's quality, but it is coloring my opinion of it and I haven't worked up to trying it again yet.  I keep meaning to try Goliath too, and now I'm wondering if I ever finished season 2 of Hand of God.

I keep hearing good things about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but haven't had the time to try it yet.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So is the new Will Smith movie Bright,as bad as the reviews seem to suggest? :unsure:

Is it another take on SyFy's The Dresden Files, except set in LA and with Will Smith, so, then, Dresden Files lite?  Well, Dresden was  wizard who helped the police, and this cop buddy duo are, well, cops . . . .

The initial conceit - modern race relations in a fantasy world - sounds intriguing. I can't imagine it being something the general populace would ever be interested in. Even Smith, whose face guaranteed a hundred million dollar movie for a long stretch of his career, couldn't make the trailer look anything less than dreadful. I've already seen several very negative reviews, including a few putting it on the shortlist of worst films of the year.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's worse. It's probably one of the worst movies I've seen. That said, didn't stop me from watching it all. 

ETA meant to quote @Ancalagon the Black. Stupid phone

I'm totally planning on watching it this weekend to see if it's that bad.

8 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

The initial conceit - modern race relations in a fantasy world - sounds intriguing. I can't imagine it being something the general populace would ever be interested in. Even Smith, whose face guaranteed a hundred million dollar movie for a long stretch of his career, couldn't make the trailer look anything less than dreadful. I've already seen several very negative reviews, including a few putting it on the shortlist of worst films of the year.

Shadowrun fans are excited about it, mainly because it is Shadowrun nearly. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to soon, despite the bad reviews.

Peaky Blinders off to a good new season it appears.

I tried Quarry after I saw people talking about it on here. Definitely was a good suggestion. Good visuals and surprising story choices. Has a real No Country for Old Men vibe to it. Also makes good use of the era. I'm a couple eps into season 1. 

Mr. Robot completely killed it in season 3.

Two parts in on SFDebris' "Hermit's Journey".

Holy Shit.

It's the best defense of George Lucas I've ever heard. And he's doing it not by defending the merits of the prequels but by putting Lucas in a position of not deliberately ruining Star Wars for ego or for whatever reasons, but as a competent writer/director that along with some serious but understandable miscalculations had to make the least worst of decisions as his only option many times.

Doesn't change that the prequels were still very bad. But it makes them more of a regrettable tragedy than a reckless disaster.

23 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The problem is Lucas is that when making the OT he had people not afraid to criticise.  With the PT he surrounded himself with people who didn't.  He wasnt a huge fan of Empire.

That criticism has been made many times since the prequel trilogy, and i totally agree with it. But that was the last stopgap that failed the prequels. What SF Debris is doing is showing what he thinks Lucas' mindset was and backing it up with examples. It's not trying to say the prequels were good just "here's what happened", how Lucas was capable but just totally messed up. 

I don't buy all of it. But i do find it all interesting.

We went to see The Shape of Water, mainly because Neil Gaiman said it was the best movie he'd seen in years.... I liked it more than my wife did... Poor Michael Shannon has been type cast as the uptight asshole....lol.... I love Octavia Spencer... Richard Jenkins was fantastic..... But ultimately this film was carried by Sally Hawkins, who, I thought, was a really strong lead... 

Guillermo del Toro really knows how to tell a story.... 

So I finally finished Godless. This Western worked for me, especially scenery wise, it was exactly what youd hope for, really good job with the settings and vista shots which really can be so important overall.

Tantoo Cardinal: 

"Life in the business is also highly challenging. Sometimes you are dissatisfied, it's difficult sometimes. You're always thinking of how it could be better. It's a 20-legged race, you don't work alone. There are so many others working to tell the same story. We as Indian artists don't have the luxury of being individuals. We represent ages and ages. The work of an artist is a highly responsible one."

Archived