Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

17 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I watched Curse of the Black Pearl for the first time since it came out. Enjoyed it as much as I did when i was a kid aside from one or two moments. Quality blockbuster. 

Yep, solid film just a shame the franchise went downhill from there

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Did anyone end up watching Bright?  Curious what others thought.

I did.  The sheer loneliness portrayed by Nic, the orc character, broke my heart.  I could feel it.  

It started really well.  But the writers just didn't know what to do with the material, so it was 90% scenes of prolonged shoot 'em up and chase and shoot and chase.  That was too bad.  There was a a real film in there.  

The production is also real low-rent, i.e. very small budget, meaning cheap.  And it showed.  Worse, the elves are really vampires, or so it seemed -- as much as we saw them, which was hardly at all.

Smith showed he can handle less light roles, but the writers gave him little to do, really.

But the actor who played the orc cop partner -- that with such facial deadening make-up and prosthetics he could project such emotion -- he was by far the most interesting character, though it took little as nobody was given much to work with, and he had the most.

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I did.  The sheer loneliness portrayed by Nic, the orc character, broke my heart.  I could feel it.  

It started really well.  But the writers just didn't know what to do with the material, so it was 90% scenes of prolonged shoot 'em up and chase and shoot and chase.  That was too bad.  There was a a real film in there.  

The production is also real low-rent, i.e. very small budget, meaning cheap.  And it showed.  Worse, the elves are really vampires, or so it seemed -- as much as we saw them, which was hardly at all.

Smith showed he can handle less light roles, but the writers gave him little to do, really.

But the actor who played the orc cop partner -- that with such facial deadening make-up and prosthetics he could project such emotion -- he was by far the most interesting character, though it took little as nobody was given much to work with, and he had the most.

I completely agree.  Nic is what drew me into the movie enough to stick around to the end.  There was so much more there that I wanted to explore.  Too much missing story was left untold.  

14 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Did anyone end up watching Bright?  Curious what others thought.

Yep. Wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be, but it probably benefited from my low expectations. I think the most honest thing you can say about it is it was an interesting concept with potential, but the execution was poor. The dialogue was particularly bad. Joel Edgerton was solid, can’t say the same for Smith. What was the last good movie Smith was in? The Pursuit of Happiness?

Finished off Mindhunter. I liked it far more once it wasn't just the two dudes on their own. It's quite thought provoking in many ways, e.g. the norms of the time, the way women are spoken about generally is horrible, and what we would consider to be abusive behaviour today is just written off as no big deal. 

I watched two episodes of the Netflix doc, The Toys that Made Us: the Star Wars and He-Man episodes. I'll skip the Barbie episode and finish the current episodes with the GI Joe one. There are currently four episodes available, but sounds like eight total eventually. Fun little nostalgia trip.

Was convinced to watch Mr Selfridge (the tv show about Selfridges) by the other half. I have to say its maybe the worst tv show I've seen in a long time, some of the script is 'The Room' level bad at times. It did seem to improve as the episode went on, but it was so corny and cliched for large parts. Who wrote this trash?

On 12/20/2017 at 7:40 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Don't skip Sneaky Pete.

Thanks for that tip, I probably would have missed it otherwise and it's excellent. I'll definitely second the recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Other than Sneaky Pete over Christmas I caught Bridge of Spies on Netflix, which is a bit of a slow burner but good, and I had a bit of a John Hughes kick on tv with Home Alone, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Uncle Buck.

I continue wending my way through the 19 or whatever the number is of Montalbano dvds.  Montalbano the character and the actor, the ensemble of actors and characters of the series, the beauty of Sicily's urban centers and ritzy homes of victims, their families, the villains and their families, the countryside and sea side, the never too grim tone plus comic conflicts, make this first rate escapism from what bombards us here 24/7.

In a few days I'll be out of the country for a while, with no opportunity for either watching or reading, so I'm trying to gorge these next few days.

I was forced to “watch” A Christmas Story over the weekend, for only like the 20th time……

I don’t get why people love this movie so much. It’s not bad, per se, but it doesn’t deserved to be watched every year. If any Christmas movies do, it’s Gremlins and Die Hard.

:commie:

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was forced to “watch” A Christmas Story over the weekend, for only like the 20th time……

I don’t get why people love this movie so much. It’s not bad, per se, but it doesn’t deserved to be watched every year. If any Christmas movies do, it’s Gremlins and Die Hard.

:commie:

Christmas Vacation>>>

For no reason at all I saved the last episodes of Turn's final season for these last days of the turn between 2017 and 2018.  Somehow, they are perfect viewing for this liminal period as the season turns to winter (and lordessa, is it EVER winter here!) and to the next year.

I am bundled in Irish, Shetland and Finnish wool, some cashmere, and making a dinner that isn't left overs, of which there are a great many, by the way, while making lists of packing for Cuba -- where, unlike here -- it's in the 80's (here's in the under digits). Even though in Turn it is not winter, and we're in Virginia, in that turncoat Benedict Arnold's campaign -- this is the campaign which got Thomas Jefferson pillories for the rest of his life as a coward who ran, as he was governor of the state -- somehow this all feels appropriate to this interregnum of time.

I watched the first episode of the upcoming Starz series, Counterpart. The premise is very interesting and the premiere succeeded in hooking me. JK Simmons is great and Ulrich "Kai Proctor" Thomsen is in it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not a bad movie at all, but it isn't as rewatchable as Gremlins and Die Hard.

For me it is. And i don’t really consider Die Hard a Xmas movie (despite what the screenwriter says :P). Gremlins more so. Love both, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be the holidays for me to watch them. 

Archived