RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

28 posts in this topic

We're also watching Top of the Lake S1 from 2013, before we get into S2... Elizabeth Moss is an absolute monster... holy cow she is a good actress

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think the story this season was different, and can understand why some found it less compelling, but this actually ended up being possibly my favourite season of the show. The character moments (especially the stuff between Elizabeth and Paige) were absolutely excellent, and I actually ended up liking Stan this season (and have disliked him since the start). I also though the Tuan story was very interesting. My favourite scene of the season

Hide contents

was after Elizabeth and Phillip have decided they will return home, and Elizabeth is seen look around at everything she will lose when she returns. I think the look on her face as she realised how "American" she had become was deeply moving. Keri Russel Killeen it of course, as she always does

I did like all the elements you mentioned. I think one thing it might have missed slightly compared to previous seasons is...

that there didn't seem to be quite the same sense of tension, that everything could be on the verge of going horribly wrong. Of course, there are still plenty of ways that things could have fallen apart at any given moment, but it didn't feel like there was a threat of the same magnitude as the FBI actually closing in, or the bioweapons plot or Paige not being able to keep their secret.

I agree, there will still plenty of great character moments, I thought Paige got some great scenes and I liked Martha's brief cameos

I finished the last episode of Strike (the BBC adaptation of the thrillers J.K. Rowling wrote under her pseudonym). Kind of bummed out by the fact that this was the last one. I really liked the characters and the stories (although the episodes based on the second book were definitely a bit weaker plotwise). I hope they'll decide not to wait for the release of further books and just make their own original mysteries for the series. I think that would be nice and it would mean I had a new crime series to look forward to every year. We are also all in dire need of more Tom Burke in our lives, so that alone is already a good excuse to make more of these. 

I also watched Kobayashi's Seppuku (1962). I had this one on my watch list for quite some time and I am very happy to say that it did not disappoint at all. It's an incredibly sad story, that manages to tug at the heartstrings without being manipulative. It was also pretty unpredictable. I honestly couldn't really predict where the story would go (I guess that that is both a result of the cultural strangeness and expectations shaped by the way modern films would go about telling this story), but I really like the way Kobayashi eventually developed it. It was compellingly tragic and surpringly calm (the action is handled extremely well when it occurs though).  

The acting was also great, I get why Tatsuya Nakadai was such a famous actor back in the day. He was very subtle, which was quite the pleasant surprise, because sometimes those Japanese actors can go really annoyingly over the top (one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy Rashomon). The film also made clever use of symbolism to convey its central (and imo very valuable) message and it contains some incredibly disturbing scences (If you have seen the film, you know the one I'm talking about). It's hard to talk about without spoiling anything, but I would definitely recommend it to you all.

On 17-9-2017 at 0:13 AM, GallowKnight said:

From what I've seen of Ruby Rose elsewhere, what makes her works so well here is that she does not speak.

Oh, that's a shame. She really had great presence in this one :( 

My thoughts exactly. I dug the first film for what it was, but the Net hype on JW2 was massive and I found it ultimately to be a big let down.

Now that I have had some more time to think about it, I can't help but notice just how unmemorable the movie is. Barring the collar bar pin Keanu weares when he gets his new Italian suit, I don't think I'll remember much about it in like a week or so. 

Edited by Veltigar

Currently watching the Sinner on USA. On ep 6/8 right now, and it's pretty good. The last 2 episodes have especially picked up. Not bad coming from a station that I thought just aired Law and Order reruns (besides Mr. Robot). 

Keeping up with AHS: Cult. I typically watch a handful of episodes of AHS each year before I get burned out on it and tap out. The content this season is an interesting take on current affairs in US politics. I'll keep watching for now.

Watched Edge of Seventeen last night. Thought it was entertaining, funny, pretty clever, etc. Worth a watch.

14 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Currently watching the Sinner on USA. On ep 6/8 right now, and it's pretty good. The last 2 episodes have especially picked up. Not bad coming from a station that I thought just aired Law and Order reruns (besides Mr. Robot). 

Watched Edge of Seventeen last night. Thought it was entertaining, funny, pretty clever, etc. Worth a watch.

Agreed with both.

Just finished The Lost City of Z by James Grey, starring Sienna Miller, Charlie Hunnan and Robert Pattinson. I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about this online, it really is a great film. And here I was thinking that 2017 was quite a bad year for films (well, I actually still think that to be honest, but at least we got this one and Logan). 

The film really feels like a throwback to an older kind of film. Some of the better reviews I read described it as a cross between one of those epic New Hollywood films of the 1970s and a David Lean epic. I can see where they got that from, although I feel like its a lot closer to David Lean in feeling than New Hollywood, without actively copying it.

The story of Fawcett's obsession is staggerinly well-portrayed, the actors all gave great performances. I never really payed much attention to Charlien Hunnan before, but he was really good in this. And Robert Pattinson was a revalation. I knew he was in this and I knew which character he was playing and I still had trouble recognising him. That was a really great performance I have to say. The lighting and cinematography was really beautiful. I can't really remember any of Grey's other films, but here he really displays great attention to detail. I wish more directors put this much care in their craft. I definitely warmly recommend this one.

Spent the weekend watching American Vandal on Netflix. I was very entertained! It takes the obsessive mystery investigation format of Serial and applies it to a lower stakes setting (dicks spray painted on teachers' cars at an American high school). The investigation is played straight, but the nature of the crime leads to more than the occasional bit of hilarity!

One thing I was very impressed by was how the show did a good job of showing the way modern teenagers' lives are full to the brim with technology. The sheer quantity of video footage the characters take of themselves and others means the narrative has plenty of evidence to work with, and it all felt very natural. With the caveat that I haven't been a teenager for a decade now, it all felt very believable.

So yeah, I would recommend this one, especially if you enjoyed Serial but don't mind it being given a light ribbing.

@Risto I'm most disappointed not to see you with an Emmy thread -_- for shame, standards are truly slipping.

Anyway, I'm watching The Expanse season 2. I think thisnshow is great and I'm only sorry the UK had to wait so long to get it. Hope this is fixed for future seasons because I don't want to wait