Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

11 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Okay I'll steer clear of that sequel.

My favourite werewolf movie is Company of Wolves.

Next to watch is The Howling...

Oh and I bloody LOVED An American Werewolf in London 

I didn't really have any doubts that you were going to like Werewolf in London. I've never seen Company of Wolves, so maybe I should watch it sometime to compare. 

8 minutes ago, Isis said:

So I've been watching the Philip K Dick adaptations on C4. Quite enjoying them. Good performances and they've all been thought provoking. Is there a thread? There should be.

There is one, although there's not been all that much discussion in it:

I've watched the first three so far, I agree they've all been good, particularly The Commuter.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I didn't really have any doubts that you were going to like Werewolf in London. I've never seen Company of Wolves, so maybe I should watch it sometime to compare. 

I've watched the first three so far, I agree they've all been good, particularly The Commuter.

It's very much a totally different type of werewolf movie. It's dark fairy tale with coming of age themes. 

Mind Hunter on Netflix was fantastic. Mr. Robot is having a great season. The Gifted is surprisingly good, perhaps because the creator of Burn Notice is behind it. The Mayor is a solidly good comedy. 

There is what looks like a great show coming to USA on Nov 7. It's DamnNation. It's set in the US in 1931 and focuses on the labor movement and the opposition to it.

There is what looks like a great tv movie coming to Lifetime very soon, I forgot the date. Flint, about the water crisis.

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

Yes. That one was my favourite so far. I am finding them all rather atmospheric though. Good production values. Once I am completely caught up I will visit the thread. Thanks.

I finished the first season of Stranger Things and some added nostalgia appeal doesn't quite cut it, it's shamelessly exploiting nostalgia for 80s films throughout. The whole series is basically just a mix of classic 80s kids science fiction and fantasy films like E.T. and The Goonies with a bit of teen Brat Pack films and Poltergeist thrown in. With it being that derivative it really should be rubbish but it's awesome, I loved it.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Does the Dirk Gently books involve alternate worlds with elves, dwarves, trolls and faeries or is this 2nd season of the show just a radical departure?  Not sure I'm on board for this.

I don't think the second series has shown up over here yet. From your description it does sound quite different, although the second book did definitely have some fantasy elements as Dirk investigates a case in which the Norse Gods Thor and Odin are involved and at one points visits Asgard which probably counts as an alternate world.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Does the Dirk Gently books involve alternate worlds with elves, dwarves, trolls and faeries or is this 2nd season of the show just a radical departure?  Not sure I'm on board for this.

You have Dirk Gently S2 already? How disappointing! 

I really liked the first season and all I really want is to see the continued whimsical whackiness. I can deal with there being elves and dwarves and stuff so long as it's on par quality-wise with last season

On 10/27/2017 at 7:45 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

You have Dirk Gently S2 already? How disappointing! 

BBC America.  I can't figure out if it's actually on in Canada right now, but if it's on somewhere I'm watching it...

I really liked the first season and all I really want is to see the continued whimsical whackiness. I can deal with there being elves and dwarves and stuff so long as it's on par quality-wise with last season

The whacky is back.  It does seem pretty good this season so far (on ep 2) and the new characters are great, all of them.  Okay, to be fair I didn't actually see elves and dwarves and trolls, but perhaps some sort of faerie or shapeshifter.  And a magical land of Wendimoor with some very annoying humans.  It was just a couple scenes so far with none of the main cast, and I was a bit distracted by the giant scissors for swords they were using.  I'm getting the impression from an article I read that at least some of the magic in Wendimoor is same holistic connectedness of everything amped up to 11 -- so this is starting to make more sense -- but there is definitely non-holistic magic going on too.  At least I'm not hallucinating elves any more.

By golly I liked Atomic Blonde even more than I thought I would. Superb music throughout. Probably a good six times I was gleefully nodding along to 80s techno mixes during the carnage. 

Fucking Charlize Theron. Between this and Fury Road, she has cemented herself as a cornerstone of my Total Lady Badass pantheon. The fight scenes were impeccably choreographed and performed to make her look like she really was kicking the piss out of a whole lot of really big, mean looking dudes. In between her taking all that punishment, she manages to be absurdly sexy when she wanted to be, as well. What a lady. 

Rest of the cast didn't disappoint, I love Toby Jones and his smarmy maybe-a-bad guy, maybe just a prick roles. McAvoy can do unhinged so well. Sofia Butella doesn't have a great range, but she might have even been sexier in her role than Theron, and oh so charming. She managed to craft a nuanced character in small screen time. Goodman seemed to be having fun as well.

Anyway, it was terrific. I am really enjoying this resurgence in well-made pure action movies. Keep em comin, Hollywood.

On 28/10/2017 at 4:38 AM, Argonath Diver said:

By golly I liked Atomic Blonde even more than I thought I would. Superb music throughout. Probably a good six times I was gleefully nodding along to 80s techno mixes during the carnage. 

Fucking Charlize Theron. Between this and Fury Road, she has cemented herself as a cornerstone of my Total Lady Badass pantheon. The fight scenes were impeccably choreographed and performed to make her look like she really was kicking the piss out of a whole lot of really big, mean looking dudes. In between her taking all that punishment, she manages to be absurdly sexy when she wanted to be, as well. What a lady. 

Rest of the cast didn't disappoint, I love Toby Jones and his smarmy maybe-a-bad guy, maybe just a prick roles. McAvoy can do unhinged so well. Sofia Butella doesn't have a great range, but she might have even been sexier in her role than Theron, and oh so charming. She managed to craft a nuanced character in small screen time. Goodman seemed to be having fun as well.

Anyway, it was terrific. I am really enjoying this resurgence in well-made pure action movies. Keep em comin, Hollywood.

Surprising. I thought it was pretty awful. Like a brazen attempt to do John Wick but with Drive's 80's style. It had almost no story and was maybe the most 'style over substance' movie I've seen in a long time. Plus the fight scenes were really weak, lacking energy or grit and compared to many other movies, seriously unimaginative. 

Oh well. 

23 hours ago, williamjm said:

According to the Internet is should show up on UK Neflix sometime in December.

Oh what! I have to wait that long? S1 was a slow grower on me but I have a real urge to watch the next one. 

11 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Oh what! I have to wait that long? S1 was a slow grower on me but I have a real urge to watch the next one. 

I'm guessing maybe they're waiting until it's all been shown in the US (is it on  weekly there?) and then the whole thing can go up on Netflix at once. I did enjoy the first season, even if it had only the vaguest of resemblance to Adams' books.

9 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm guessing maybe they're waiting until it's all been shown in the US (is it on  weekly there?) and then the whole thing can go up on Netflix at once. I did enjoy the first season, even if it had only the vaguest of resemblance to Adams' books.

Maybe its because it felt like it was a British tv show to me, I felt we should be able to watch it first  ( I know its not and I know there was a British one.. which I never saw)

10 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Maybe its because it felt like it was a British tv show to me, I felt we should be able to watch it first  ( I know its not and I know there was a British one.. which I never saw)

I did watch the pilot of the British Dirk Gently series back when it was first shown, but I wasn't that impressed. It's a bit closer to the books but I didn't think it was funny enough and it feels a bit unambitious compared to the American version.

I watched a movie called Bad Day for the Cut. It's a pretty straightforward revenge thriller set in Ireland that has some good acting, visuals and plenty of violence. I would check it out if you're into that scene. There was also a GoT alum in it that I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even recognize. 

Thor: Ragnarok was very good. I think it falls just short of being great but it had its moments and is definitely worth seeing in the theatres. 

I'm watching Wanted, an Australian series on Netflix, on five of six episodes right now.  I love the way the stakes keep escalating throughout the season.  The interaction between the two main characters is fantastic as well, especially how they play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Archived