Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Textbook Liverpool.

On the bright side, early elimination means less fixture congestion.

But it has also taken away the most likely way for Liverpool to earn some silverware. 

People will say 'it's only the league cup', but considering the league cup is all Liverpool has won in the past 11 years, its value should begin to rise for the club.

Missed chances, conceded a soft goal (and an unlikely belter to the top corner -- we call those a Jagielka at Anfield).  Same old story.

Only thing that caught my attention about this game was the statistic that in the last four matches we've had 87 shots to score three goals, and not won a single one of those games.

The good news is that this team is currently playing/achieving below its collective ability and has been able in the recent past to play/achieve above its collective ability.  We'll see some mean reversion eventually.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

But it has also taken away the most likely way for Liverpool to earn some silverware. 

People will say 'it's only the league cup', but considering the league cup is all Liverpool has won in the past 11 years, its value should begin to rise for the club.

I think Klopp did take it seriously judging by the team he sent out. It's just that Liverpool are shit defensively and Leicester's style of play is well suited to causing them problems. Doesn't matter what combination of CBs Liverpool plays either because their defensive organisation is weak and the midfield offers no protection.

22 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I think Klopp did take it seriously judging by the team he sent out. It's just that Liverpool are shit defensively and Leicester's style of play is well suited to causing them problems. Doesn't matter what combination of CBs Liverpool plays either because their defensive organisation is weak and the midfield offers no protection.

I'm not really questioning how seriously Klopp took it. It's more that I'm questioning how seriously he and the club will take getting knocked out of it.

It's very easy to palm it off, as it's the least important of the four competitions they were in this season. But given the lack of silverware at the club the past decade, I think there should be a real sense of frustration around Liverpool that they've got themselves knocked out of the competitions they had the best chance of winning, albeit the least glamorous of the four competitions they were competing in.

10 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I'm not really questioning how seriously Klopp took it. It's more that I'm questioning how seriously he and the club will take getting knocked out of it.

It's very easy to palm it off, as it's the least important of the four competitions they were in this season. But given the lack of silverware at the club the past decade, I think there should be a real sense of frustration around Liverpool that they've got themselves knocked out of the competitions they had the best chance of winning, albeit the least glamorous of the four competitions they were competing in.

Well, Klopp did not look happy in the post match interview and was particularly fed up with the defending. I think it is more that certain fans (of all the major clubs) tend to brush off the competition as "only the league cup/tinpot cup" etc. but only when their team doesn't win it. Top managers, otoh, are very competitive want to win everything. Klopp's team selection certainly reflected his intent of progressing in the competition so I'm going to assume that he is disappointed and frustrated that poor finishing and piss poor defending cost the team yet again.

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Missed chances, conceded a soft goal (and an unlikely belter to the top corner -- we call those a Jagielka at Anfield).  Same old story.

Only thing that caught my attention about this game was the statistic that in the last four matches we've had 87 shots to score three goals, and not won a single one of those games.

The good news is that this team is currently playing/achieving below its collective ability and has been able in the recent past to play/achieve above its collective ability.  We'll see some mean reversion eventually.

Saw something similar. Going further, someone somewhere mentioned 29 of them hitting the target, and only three goals to show for it. That's a horrible statistic - both the number of shots that miss the goal, and the terrible percentage that results in a score. 

At the same time, you're really not very good at keeping shots out either. Bad combo.

Easy win for United. Martial, Rashford and Lingard were all outstanding. Unfortunate that we let in a goal right at the end there through a comedy of errors. I can see why Mourinho chose not to start with Shaw; he still looks a fair bit short of match fitness. He started the 2nd half well but was strolling around in the last 15 minutes and there were a number of instances towards the end where he didn't/couldn't even manage to make an overlapping run.

1 hour ago, Nas! said:

TFC getting spanked by Montreal at home.  Good jinxing, LoON. 

No kidding. I spoke too soon. That was shocking. Horrendous mistakes on all five goals.

For a second there, I thought that they might start pulling it together. But no. Ricketts and Osorio were the only two that showed up to play. 

Chelsea agree to sell Diego Costa to Atletico Madrid.

Atletico are paying around £53m with additional bonuses. Not bad business on Chelsea's behalf.

Diego Costa was brilliant in his three years at Chelsea. His goals helped deliver two league titles and a league cup. I think he had a lot more to give, but clearly the bridges were finally burnt when he tried to leave in January, midway through a title challenge.

A sorry end to Costa's Chelsea career, but it was never going to be any other way, was it?

Good business for the club and a good move for the player as well (at least he is not going to waste his ability in China). That is a huge boost for Atleti as well especially if Costa can reproduce his best form. That extra firepower combined with their usual mean defence could see a genuine title challenge from Atleti this season.

And Real Madrid's poor start to the season continues losing at home to Real Betis last night. They have yet to win a league game at home this season. The game followed a familiar pattern with Real dominating, creating a boatload of chances but failing to finish (this time even with Ronaldo in the side) and conceding a soft goal totally against the run of play. Real Madrid fans are crap too - ever ready to boo/jeer their own players. Playing at the Bernabeu must be starting to feel like a hostile away game for the players.

I thought the MLS had only three teams with a support to speak of (Portland, Seattle, and to some degree Vancouver).

Anyway, at least our resident scousers can find some comfort in their team being able to create chances to squander. At least that shows the team itself is alive and not dead walking.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Good business for the club and a good move for the player as well (at least he is not going to waste his ability in China). That is a huge boost for Atleti as well especially if Costa can reproduce his best form. That extra firepower combined with their usual mean defence could see a genuine title challenge from Atleti this season.

And Real Madrid's poor start to the season continues losing at home to Real Betis last night. They have yet to win a league game at home this season. The game followed a familiar pattern with Real dominating, creating a boatload of chances but failing to finish (this time even with Ronaldo in the side) and conceding a soft goal totally against the run of play. Real Madrid fans are crap too - ever ready to boo/jeer their own players. Playing at the Bernabeu must be starting to feel like a hostile away game for the players.

So Liverpool have finally matched Real.  We are, after all, two of the Collossi of European football.  AC Milan should follow suit. 

Archived