Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

I'd still count us as favourites to sign Griezmann but you never know what can happen should state funded PSG get involved, although they will have to pay the €180m for Mbappe next year. €100m in this market for a world class (and highly marketable) Griezmann is too good a deal to pass up. Hopefully we pull the trigger in January even if it means agreeing to Griezmann seeing out the remainder of the season at Atleti.

8 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Chelsea agree to sell Diego Costa to Atletico Madrid.

Atletico are paying around £53m with additional bonuses. Not bad business on Chelsea's behalf.

Diego Costa was brilliant in his three years at Chelsea. His goals helped deliver two league titles and a league cup. I think he had a lot more to give, but clearly the bridges were finally burnt when he tried to leave in January, midway through a title challenge.

A sorry end to Costa's Chelsea career, but it was never going to be any other way, was it?

About time. Great 3 years at the Bridge but he finally burned it down. I'll appreciate all the goals and tenacity, but happy the headache is gone. Sick of him speculating about what team he wants to play for next seaon when he's in the midst of a title run. He seems like a fun guy to play with but has to be a pain in the ass to coach. From his perspective, he better get his ass in shape. He got dropped from the international squad for Villa the last time around. I'd imagine that was a wake up call. 

9 hours ago, Notone said:

I thought the MLS had only three teams with a support to speak of (Portland, Seattle, and to some degree Vancouver).

Anyway, at least our resident scousers can find some comfort in their team being able to create chances to squander. At least that shows the team itself is alive and not dead walking.

There are other teams drawing good crowds. Atlanta United had 70,500 fans at their new stadium a week or so ago when they opened up the upper level. One of the biggest football crowds ever. And before that, they were drawing 45,000 or so.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017-mls-attendance/

Here were the numbers after the 28th week of play:

Team Average Total Matches Week 28 Week 28
1 Atlanta United FC 47,926 575,114 12 42,511 70,425
2 Seattle Sounders 43,400 607,598 14    
3 Toronto FC 27,447 384,262 14    
4 Orlando City SC 25,235 353,286 14    
5 NYC FC 23,428 374,844 16    
6 LA Galaxy 21,844 283,973 13 19,650  
7 Vancouver Whitecaps 21,548 344,764 16 17,368 20,592
8 Portland Timbers 21,144 296,016 14    
9 New York Red Bulls 20,929 293,001 14 20,534  
10 San Jose Earthquakes 20,330 284,617 14 18,000

That's a bit misleading, as it doesn't actually state the arena sizes.  Anyway, I can also name a few more subjective factors, like away support, and quality. And traditionally Seattle/Portland have had the more lively audiences over there. No idea, if the other MLS teams caught on.

47 minutes ago, Notone said:

That's a bit misleading, as it doesn't actually state the arena sizes.  Anyway, I can also name a few more subjective factors, like away support, and quality. And traditionally Seattle/Portland have had the more lively audiences over there. No idea, if the other MLS teams caught on.

A good point, but those top teams are not far from sellout. Atlanta (Lower Bowl 42.5k, 71k when then open up the top), Orlando City (25.5k), Toronto (30k) ...

I think you may be underestimating the audience sizes. A lot of teams are drawing significant numbers of fans, and the sport is clearly growing in North America. Even a lot of European teams play to fields that aren't completely sold out or even near so.

Away support can be hit and miss. Especially with the distances involved. The Northwest teams have good away contingents. And TFC usually sends a small army to Montreal on the regular and occasionally some cities in the Northeast. I'm not as familiar with other teams supporters groups.

I wonder if Atlanta's attendance will hold up when they become more established in MLS and less of a novelty. Also, many of those going to their matches in the last week or so could be wanting to see the stadium more than the football - so bought a ticket to something more accessible than a Falcons game.

Didn't see the game, but more dropped points from Bayern at home to Wolfsburg. Not only that, but they blew a two goal lead. If things continue as they are I cannot see them winning the league ahead of BVB. They are only as close to them as they are due to a few questionable refereeing decisions as ever. The sooner they get Nagelsmann in, the better for them.

Bayern are missing Neuer, who has picked up another foot injury, and will be out for the rest of the year. Ulreich was on the hook for Wolfsburg's first goal. For all the scouser moaning about wobbly goalkeeping, take a look at what Ulreich was doing there. That's what an actual goalkeeping error looks like (well it was a real howler), Ulreich is a seasoned goalkeeper with nearly 200 Bundesliga games, so he should be able to fill in for Neuer, but he is no Neuer.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Looks like Spurs are switching to playing 3 at the back with their new signings.

Lovren's apparently unlikely to play for Liverpool and Matip's a doubt. Great.

Spurs have been playing three at the back for a while. Pretty much since Dier moved to midfield he's been scooching back whenever Spurs had the ball to allow the full-backs to push forward, but it's been more formalised as a regular system they use since January at least.

18 hours ago, Notone said:

there are some solid supporters all over mls. Seattle and Portland get too much press really. 

here on dc our supporters go hard and loud for 90 minutes even though the team is shit. 

The SPL has lost most of its allure of the 90's/00's and the gulf between Celtic and Rangers is still blatant, but the Old Firm will always remain a massive match. 

It hasn't been a game of great quality - much more a scrappy affair - but the atmosphere still seems incredible. Pure hatred for 90 minutes. 

Switched over to the West Ham vs Tottenham game at half time and you could hear a pin drop it's that quiet. This is meant to be a big derby, too.

Lunacy to bring Carroll on. Destroyed West Ham's shape and isolated Chicharito out on the wing where he is ineffective. Ayew or even Sakho would have been considerably better options when Antonio came off. If Bilic cannot see how obvious this is then he has to go. Even had the same setup failing against Huddersfield until it was changed.

Archived