Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm more concerned that Coutinho will carry on with his current M.O. of beating two players, ignoring all of the options around him, then ballooning a shot into the crowd. Every bloody time he gets the ball. 

So on point :lol:. Reminds me of 14/15 Coutinho. Hopefully he looks better today. 

Leroy Sane is an unreal talent. The best purchase City has made these last few years imo.

49 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I guess, but really managers need to be able to trust their players to not be dumb; they can't sub off every defender who ever gets a yellow.

No, but sometimes it's obvious that they're either not up to pace or losing their cool a bit and need to be protected from themselves- and both were the case here.

Anyway, Redmond is tearing into our right hand side in the second half.

Another game were we played poorly. At least we picked up the three points and even though Southampton pushed us back in the 2nd half, we created the best two chances of the half and should have scored one of them. Lemina was Southampton's best player - given that he is a defensive midfielder says alot about their attack. Most disappointing was that we went defensive with 20-25 minutes remaining. Think Martial should have come on just to give us some attacking threat and provide support for Lukaku - we could have still defended in numbers and it's not as though Southampton's attacking play is going to any defence sleepless nights.

ETA. that is a shocking miss by Salah.

ETA2. and now he tucks away a much more difficult chance.

Surely we can't keep playing and conceding goals like this.Something has got to change.If it wasn't for Mignolet's save,it would have been 3-3 and Leicester i'm sure would have tried for the win.We barely managed to get the 3 points,despite comfortably being 2 up.

We need to score 3 goals minimum each game for a chance to win haha!

Your lot will continue to concede alot of goals. There's no way around it as the midfield is not going to just suddenly start consistently providing better defensive cover, the back four aren't suddenly going to get better and Klopp isn't going to change his tactics.

Putting aside the defensive issues, this was a massive win for Liverpool in a tough fixture away from home. Especially important given the earlier results.

So...

We looked sh*t. Lot of work from DCL, well done, but little support, and our game plan of cross field passes to give the full back crossing opportunities only works if we can properly cross the ball into the box. 

Then, of course, we switch off for a couple of minutes, King scores and Defoe should have put the game to bed. 

Instead, we get an ending I couldn’t have dreamt up, with Oumar Niasse coming on and scoring a brace. Well taken, too. This feels sort of a bizarro universe. Happy with the three points, though.

On 24/09/2017 at 10:16 AM, Rorshach said:

So...

We looked sh*t. Lot of work from DCL, well done, but little support, and our game plan of cross field passes to give the full back crossing opportunities only works if we can properly cross the ball into the box. 

Then, of course, we switch off for a couple of minutes, King scores and Defoe should have put the game to bed. 

Instead, we get an ending I couldn’t have dreamt up, with Oumar Niasse coming on and scoring a brace. Well taken, too. This feels sort of a bizarro universe. Happy with the three points, though.

Your inititally good-seeming transfer window is looking increasingly hobbled by the fact that you bought three no10s and another kinda false-9 type and have apparently no gameplan to use even two of them together, let alone all four.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Your inititally good-seeming transfer window is looking increasingly hobbled by the fact that you bought three no10s and another kinda false-9 type and have apparently no gameplan to use even two of them together, let alone all four.

Yeah, it seems stranger by the day. Seeing us play, we have two defensive mids who do not venture far into opposition territory, two-to-three number 10s scrambling across the front line - but well within the limits of the 16-yard box extended to midfield, one number 10 if DCL plays, otherwise Sandro wanders and leaves the box empty, and two fullbacks trying to attack the flanks with no support from a winger. 

It does my head in at times. We’ll have to see if this can in some way be rectified by Coleman coming back (offering more attacking talent down the right), Lookman getting in (he has flair, if little experience) or someone like Rooney or Klaasen dropped more often. IDK

I did watch the Liverpool game, I was just too busy all weekend to post about it.  The combo of missing chances and conceding soft goals was still there but we were better on balance and deserved to win.  Leicester looked a lot more like their title-winning selves: Okazaki restored to his crucial role, high energy combative MF and quick breaks via wingers, Vardy diving for a penalty and lots of wrestling allowed in both boxes.  But as good as Leicester were -- and their points belie their form -- we would have been comfortable all game if the referee was even semi-competent.  Their first goal came from Vardy blatantly diving to win a free kick instead of a goal kick, then Okazaki fouling Mignolet on the following corner.

Liverpool were still a mixed bag, with good and bad from almost every player.  Can was good on the ball at times and hit the post with a sweet shot, but gave away sloppy passes several times.  Firmino and Gini were pants and anonymous respectively.  Gomez was generally good but got burned by Albrighton for their second (and only legitimate) goal.  Migs saved a penalty but conceded a penalty (perhaps if his kick had made better contact there couldn't have been any excuse for an incompetent referee to overlook it) and almost got closed down by Vardy several times.  Some fans praised Hendo after the game but Ndidi was better at protecting his defense and breaking up play.  Coutinho did really well on his return but also turned over the ball too many times.  Salah scored a great header and was a real threat but missed his easiest chance.  Sturridge looked simply great and was much more in tune with his teammates -- has earned a start as CF.  

Archived