Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

19 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

City did look like the more energetic side. A tough CL game in Madrid for Chelsea probably had something to do with that. City were excellent though and Guardiola got his tactics spot on. Chelsea were made to look average in their own backyard.

We normally concede possession when we play City home or away, but today was ridiculous. Azpilicueta starting at RWB was the start of Chelsea showing them too much respect. He's a great defender, but he has never been a great attack threat when he played RB or LB for us. I think we missed Moses today because we looked completely short on players that could do something in the final third.

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

We normally concede possession when we play City home or away, but today was ridiculous. Azpilicueta starting at RWB was the start of Chelsea showing them too much respect. He's a great defender, but he has never been a great attack threat when he played RB or LB for us. I think we missed Moses today because we looked completely short on players that could do something in the final third.

Yeah, Moses and Pedro should have started. I expected Chelsea to cause problems on the counter but their counter-attack was practically nonexistent. 

3 minutes ago, Notone said:

Well, people who watched the Bundesliga said so beore the season, that Christensen is a pretty good defender, which made the signing of Rüdiger look a bit non-sensical.

Well, Christensen being a good young player is well known, and he has been very good in every game he has played for Chelsea this season, but today he was up against a fantastic attacking team for 90 minutes and didn't set a foot wrong.

I was just pointing out that despite the insipid performance from the team overall, his performance today proved how good he actually is. I would find it difficult to bring him out of the side even with David Luiz no longer suspended. 

41 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Certainly was not good at what he did today. There was almost universal laughter when he was given the man of the match award. The side looked so much sharper when Lanzini and Sakho came on and the rhythm of the side was built around someone else. At least Bilic saw how Noble was dragging the side down and brought him off, though I do not know what Chicharito did to deserve being subbed ahead of Carroll.

West Ham were lucky that Swansea did not have the creativity to turn their first half domination into meaningful chances and that they dropped off when West Ham pushed for a winner at the end rather than squeezing the life out when Kouyate was the only one left in central midfield. Ironic that after Niasse last week another frozen out Senegalese striker returned to save his boss.

Yeah Carroll was poor today, and he's been generally poor so far this season.  But a desperate manager could, and always seems to, reasonably bank on a healthy Carroll to be effective, and his inclusion virtually requires that the team set up a certain way.  

Even a thoughtful observer could be forgiven for not understanding Bilic's tactical preferences (the players certainly don't look like they do), but clearly "hoof it up to the massive lump up front" is NOT his natural preference.  

And yet that is obviously the objective when Carroll is in the side.  

Regarding Noble: I don't think he was any worse than any of the other West Ham players today.  Kouyaté was worse, I thought.  Antonio and Ayew were both poor today and I think Lanzini could have come on for either of them. Bilic's subs combined for the winner, so I can't reasonably criticize him for that, but the whole set-up of the side is so loose and incomprehensible.  Noble is definitely a player who thrives in a more rigid system.  His first season under Bilic was probably his best ever, but I think that that is down to the very good years under Allardyce that had preceded it, and the unarguable brilliance of Payet at that time.  

Well, it has been a rocky two games for Toronto, but our win last night clinched the league title for us. It's been a long road from the 'worst team in the world'. Huzzah!

One more trophy for the treble. Our form has dipped a bit, so I forsee it could be a difficult road. Two more games in the season, so hopefully they can use those to get back in step.

Also attended by first La Liga match yesterday (Sevilla vs Malaga), which was tons of fun. They got this young Argentine midfielder (Correa), who is pretty brilliant and the team in general looks really strong. Also great atmosphere at the ground.

Lovren ‘taking five pills before every game’ to ease pain

Dejan Lovren has admitted to taking five painkillers to get through games as the Liverpool defender battles a series of injuries that prevent him from training.

“I have problems with my whole body for the last two weeks, my back and now I have hurt my achilles tendon,” the centre‑back told the Croatian paper Sportske Novosti.

“I am taking pills so I can play – five before every game. I play but I cannot train at all. That’s why I skipped matches against Manchester City and Burnley.”

Well.that's not good news at all.

What a difference a good goalkeeper makes.

Horrible first half, just survived that thanks to our goalie having an excellent game, and he even saved a penalty (and the rebound) on top of that. Just to come out in a much better shape in the second half, to somehow score two goals and drive home with a 2-0 victory.

14 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Not that football really matters given what's going on outside the stadium.

Yeahhh. Some of the vids making the rounds on twitter are sickening. 

Sturridge starts for Firmino. Hope he takes advantage of this opportunity and plays much better than he did in Russia mid week.

The game should have been postponed. Apparently Barca asked the RFEF (Spanish FA) for permission to do so but their request was refused. According to Bartomeu, Barca would have been deducted six points if they failed to comply (3 points for not playing and 3 points via a La Liga sanction).

lol meanwhile Bayern bungled another 2-0 lead. 2-2 in Berlin. And they are looking quite vulnerable.

I expect Tuchel will be revealed within the next couple of days.

And Ribery picked up an injury. He might be out for a while.

Archived