Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

Slightly different note, but today was the first time I really could see shades of what Lagerbäck tends to bring teams - good organization and lots of hard work. 

Sure, NI haven’t really been at the races so far thonight, but we haven’t looked this organized in twenty years. Perhaps even this bunch of not-very-talented guys can make something happen next qualification.

Double posting to note that Søderlund was robbed of his third international goal in 31 matches (that’s a striker!) by sheer incompetense from the officiating team. Together with the wrestling allowed, I would say this team of refs shouldn’t come anywhere close to international matches. 

Still, a win. Whoop!

That performance stank of the 'old' NI: spend 90 minutes camped on the edge of our own box, struggle to string more than two passes together, and feed on scraps when we do get into the opposition box.

Still a massive achievement to come second in the group and make the play offs. Germany beating us was to be expected, but the way we played tonight was worrying. Hopefully it can be put do to the intensity dropping because the players knew they had made the play offs at least, as opposed to the team running out of ideas and other teams catching onto how we play.

Anyway, roll on the play offs. I suppose we shouldn't be too worried about seeding or who we get drawn against; we are going to be the underdogs no matter who we play. 

He's clearly doing his 'deadpan humour' thing there.

"Genetically, we are behind," said Strachan. "In the last campaign we were the second smallest, apart from Spain.
"Maybe we get big women and men together and see what we can do."

As it stands, we were within one goal of getting to the playoffs, after a shit start where we should have been dead and buried. Finishing third on goal difference is disappointing but not embarrassing. I'm not sure where we go from here, but then that's been a theme for years. New manager? Maybe. Not sure who we get that's better than Strachan, but I can see that having him in charge for a third campaign isn't necessarily going to work for everyone. But I doubt any new manager is going to suddenly realise our potential.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:31 AM, JordanJH1993 said:

Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, Carrasco, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois all started tonight also. I know he is the manager and is entitled to pick whoever he wants, but there is no need to go full strength when already qualified. It's not like they lack strength in depth. Spare my Chelsea boys and give someone else a chance to play, Robbie!

There are no games that are not important.

Every qualifying game counts for FIFA rankings which will count for play-off matches seeding as well as next year's group seeding and all that.

I'd love it if my national team had a manager that would go all out to win in every single match.

15 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I think Scotland are playing pretty much at their potential. If you look at the individual players 3rd in a group seems about right.

Yeah, I would agree with that. My comment was more sceptical about our having unrealised potential than about possible managers' ability to dig that out.

Rumours swirling around that Marc Overmars is set to leave his role as sporting director of Ajax at the end of the season for a return to Arsenal in some capacity. Arsene Wenger has always been against a sporting director / director of football, so I wonder if there is any truth behind it.

On 8.10.2017 at 11:45 AM, Consigliere said:

Err, I don't know why the hell you are bringing me into this since my complaint clearly stems from the fact that Fellaini was carrying a knock therefore there was no point in risking him especially when Dendoncker was available. The same goes for Lukaku who is carrying a knock as well - no point risking him in the next game when you have an in form Mertens available. I never even insinuated that Martinez should be sending out a second string side. I'd have no problem with Fellaini and Lukaku playing if they were fully fit.

Well,

On 7.10.2017 at 10:27 PM, Consigliere said:

Reports saying that it is a strain to his left knee with possible ligament damage. Fuck Roberto Martinez for playing him in a meaningless game for Belgium

maybe because you brought up this meaningless game argument Jordan ran with. Like I said, I understand that argument for Fellaini as not being fully fit (and since I don't rate him that much) and Belgium could have done without him. With Lukaku, I tend more towards the opinion that Lukaku and Mertens are not quite the same player.  Anyway, it was just the meaningless game bit that annoyed somewhat as it was still a vital game for the competition (as Bosnia and Greece still try to secure the playoff spot).

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Well,

maybe because you brought up this meaningless game argument Jordan ran with. Like I said, I understand that argument for Fellaini as not being fully fit (and since I don't rate him that much) and Belgium could have done without him. With Lukaku, I tend more towards the opinion that Lukaku and Mertens are not quite the same player.  Anyway, it was just the meaningless game bit that annoyed somewhat as it was still a vital game for the competition (as Bosnia and Greece still try to secure the playoff spot).

Well,

I clearly said that it was a meaningless game for Belgium, which it was. Besides, replacing Fellaini with Dendoncker would hardly be disrespecting the competition. Utterly moronic by Martinez to risk a player like that.

Archived