Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

Seems like this was so easily preventable. Pretty obvious what would happen when a club with a huge fanbase had their first European tie in decades at an easily accessible away ground. Especially when lots of home tickets were floating around and their supporter culture accepts away fans in the home areas.

Arsenal really need to scrap this 343 formation. It worked well for them in the run in of last season, but it should have been a short term idea. Even when they have everyone available, they don't have the players to play in it. 

Chelsea and Spurs can use it well as they have centre midfielders who actually protect the back three, with the likes of Kante, Bakayoko, Matic (last season), Wanyama, Dier and Dembele. Arsenal's preferred two are Xhaka and Ramsey, who both offer no protection and leave the defence exposed, particularly Ramsey. The two genuine defensive midfielders they have, Elneny and Coquelin, clearly aren't in favour.

Everytime I see an Arsenal XI lately it just looks full of square pegs in round holes. I mean, Iwobi in centre midfield rips it.

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

ETA: Elneny isn't a defensive mid and Coquelin is hurt (also isn't good enough).

I don't know if you are joking by saying Elneny isn't a defensive mid, insinuating he can't defend.

But if you're not, I'd definitely say he is a defensive mid. He certainly isn't attacking, nor is he quite box to box. Wenger had him playing centre back in preseason, after all.

Just now, JordanJH1993 said:

I don't know if you are joking by saying Elneny isn't a defensive mid, insinuating he can't defend.

But if you're not, I'd definitely say he is a defensive mid. He certainly isn't attacking, nor is he quite box to box. Wenger had him playing centre back in preseason, after all.

Elneny is a box to box midfielder who was basically told to stay a bit more defensive and stop shooting (watch him play at Basel and you'd understand what I mean). He isn't and hasn't been a pure defensive mid pretty much ever to my knowledge. He's not a Matic, Kante, Schneiderlin or even Coquelin. He isn't a strong tackler and provides zero steal in the midfield. What Elneny is good at is running a lot (even if he's not fast) and moving the ball quickly (albeit backwards or sideways).

Kolasinac is my favorite player.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Elneny is a box to box midfielder who was basically told to stay a bit more defensive and stop shooting (watch him play at Basel and you'd understand what I mean). He isn't and hasn't been a pure defensive mid pretty much ever to my knowledge. He's not a Matic, Kante, Schneiderlin or even Coquelin. He isn't a strong tackler and provides zero steal in the midfield. What Elneny is good at is running a lot (even if he's not fast) and moving the ball quickly (albeit backwards or sideways).

Kolasinac is my favorite player.

I'd never seen him play at Basel, which maybe clouded my judgement. At Arsenal, he's been restricted to nothing more than a Mikel John Obi role; winning the odd tackle and passing the ball ten yards right and left. He was quite impressive in the Community Shield game against, though.

Good finish from Kolasinac. Something about him reminds me of Branislav Ivanovic.

Archived