Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

4 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Given Chelsea were playing against 12 all day with Michael Oliver giving everything to Arsenal, I'll take that. Begrudgingly.

Can't imagine any situation where Oliver was blatantly in arsenals favor and certainly no situation that changes the game.

Even if Luiz didn't get a straight red for a studs up challenge, he'd get a 2nd yellow and still get sent off.

Nothing game changing, but he kept blowing up any time an Arsenal player was tackled, even when barely touched, ruinning chances for us to break. The opposite was also true, as Mustafi was roughing Morata up but Morata got nothing in the way of free kicks. Morata barges Mustafi over once and he's in the book.

All in all, a draw was fair. Arsenal better team first half, Chelsea probably edged it in the second, despite our best chance coming in the first. 

If Arsenal performed with the pressure and aggression they do when they play against Chelsea, they'd be right up there. Alas, soon enough we will see the limp old Arsenal of Stoke and Liverpool, and today's performance will be another anomaly.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Morata's card was for his reaction to the foul, not the foul itself.

No worse than Kolasinac's reaction to a free kick given against him straight after he got a yellow card for a seperate foul; no second yellow for him.

No point crying over spilled milk, though. Arsenal played well and deserved their point.

ETA: Everton look like they're going to struggle badly for goals this season.

Neither team played well although Everton were a fair bit worse than us even before the last 10 minutes. As soon as Everton brought on more attacking players, space opened up and we ripped them apart - very reminiscent of the Swansea and West Ham games. Pogba's creativity in midfield was sorely missed and Lingard has proven that he is no more than a squad player. Martial and Herrera needed to come on sooner.

My local reds (Toronto FC) are 6 points away from tying the all time points record for MLS (68 points, by LA Galaxy).

With five games left, and with their current form (unbeaten in 11, 6th consecutive win yesterday) that looks like a good bet to make.

To watch a Toronto team be so dominate is very, very weird for a local. 

12 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

My local reds (Toronto FC) are 6 points away from tying the all time points record for MLS (68 points, by LA Galaxy).

With five games left, and with their current form (unbeaten in 11, 6th consecutive win yesterday) that looks like a good bet to make.

To watch a Toronto team be so dominate is very, very weird for a local. 

meanwhile in dc we are absolutely dogshit. 

Haven't watched any of their games, but Napoli seem to have got off to a flier in Serie A. Really hope this is the season that someone else wins the title or at least takes Juve down to the wire. But a hat trick for Dybala coupled with his form so far suggests this could be the year he hits the elite level.

5 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Giovinco still tearing it up for Toronto?

Oh yeah. He probably has about 30 - 35% of our total goals this year.

But the great part about this year's team is how well everyone else is playing. Last night in LA, they didn't even bring Giovinco and Alitdore along for the trip, and still won 4 - 0. LA is dire right now, but still, a lot of other teams could not do that. There are lot of other guys that can score when needed. 

Bringing in Victor Vasquez has made a huge difference. The guy is a menace on the front line for other teams. Great player.

Vázquez looks like that 'final piece' for TFC, and the team has worked hard to shore up what was long one of the worst defenses in MLS.  They are cruising to the Supporters' Shield this season, obviously, and will be hard to beat in the post season I am sure.  

I always like seeing Canadian clubs do well, even if they are from Toronto.  I hope they can win the MLS cup, too, so long as they aren't up against my Whitecaps in the final, who, I might add, aren't doing too badly in the Western Conference these days. 

Archived