Who's this song about? Ashara?

theMADdestScientist_

In AFFC, Arya hears a song:

He is a man of the Night's Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead. The lady should go kill the ones who killed her prince. And the singer should be on the Wall.

Who's this song about? who's this lady who threw herself off some tower? and who's this prince?

I thought it could be Ashara, but i'm not sure...

4 hours ago, theMADdestScientist_ said:

In AFFC, Arya hears a song:

Who's this song about? who's this lady who threw herself off some tower? and who's this prince?

I thought it could be Ashara, but i'm not sure...

Oh hey i forgot about this. I took it for Ashara too the first time i read it.

Ashara Dayne was accused of killing herself over the child she lost, the brother she lost, and supposedly the man who dishonored her at Harrenhal.

Who i think is Prince Rhaegar. If your curious for my rough narrative, it's the Jon and Dany true identities thread. Esentially, before Rhaegar decided to have his third child with Lyanna, he had planned to have it with Ashara Dayne. But dishonored her at Harrenhal by choosing Lyanna. The dishonoring was at the end of the Tourney as Barristan tells us that if he had won, he would have crowned Ashara, and perhaps Ashara would have turned to him instead of Stark. 

Edit- Funny, that if Arya was paying attention, she would have remembered Edric Dayne's tale to her about Ashara.

4 hours ago, Tucu said:

Other candidates are Helaena Targaryen and the Stark girl "kidnapped" by Bael The Bard.

Would members of the Royal House be called Ladies? or something else? I thought it was something else but totally cant draw anything to head. I know Ashara Dayne and Joanna Lannister were Ladies in waiting, but they're not of the royal house, just ladies at court. Any one else know anything about this? 

The Stark girl is a good idea though, as didn't she kill herself upon her son killing his father? Would Bael be a prince or a King though? Since they're elected and not by birth shouldn't they not have princes?

Doing a general word search off Sea, Cliff, Tower, Herself, Off, and such, i can't seem to find any text in all 5 books or TWOIAF that mentions any one else throwing them selves off some cliff or tower into the Sea. Except for Ashara Dayne.

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q=herself+into+the+sea&scope[]=agot&scope[]=adwd&scope[]=acok&scope[]=twoiaf&scope[]=asos&scope[]=affc

The Cat of the Canals chapter contains symbolic exposition regarding Lyanna and Rhaegar, so I'd hazard an assumption that Ashara's death could be referenced, as well. If "her stupid prince" refers to Rhaegar, then Arya's thought that Ashara should have killed the people who killed Rhaegar is an ironic reference to Ned Stark and co.

6 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Would members of the Royal House be called Ladies? or something else? I thought it was something else but totally cant draw anything to head. I know Ashara Dayne and Joanna Lannister were Ladies in waiting, but they're not of the royal house, just ladies at court. Any one else know anything about this? 

The Stark girl is a good idea though, as didn't she kill herself upon her son killing his father? Would Bael be a prince or a King though? Since they're elected and not by birth shouldn't they not have princes?

As Ygrette puts it "a bard's truth is different than yours or mine". We can expect a level of artistic licence and misinformation in the songs.

52 minutes ago, Tucu said:

As Ygrette puts it "a bard's truth is different than yours or mine". We can expect a level of artistic licence and misinformation in the songs.

A lady who threw herself is a motive that is just begging to be incorporated into a song, especially by people who don't know shit about the real reason of her suicide. Whatever reason Ashara might have had, we won't learn through a song.

4 hours ago, cgrav said:

The Cat of the Canals chapter contains symbolic exposition regarding Lyanna and Rhaegar, so I'd hazard an assumption that Ashara's death could be referenced, as well. If "her stupid prince" refers to Rhaegar, then Arya's thought that Ashara should have killed the people who killed Rhaegar is an ironic reference to Ned Stark and co.

Yea i noticed that too haha i think that was intentional especially given Arya and her death list and killing spree. Almost like she's gonna kill the wrong person maybe, or just blame the wrong person? Idk but it definitely caught my eye too :) 

I'm afraid the song might be foreshadowing. If so, I suspect the prince might be Jon Snow. He is strongly associated with towers. I don't think Arya will be the lady to throw herself from a tower, but she probably will be the one to go kill all the people who kill her prince.

Just a guess.

23 hours ago, Seams said:

I'm afraid the song might be foreshadowing. If so, I suspect the prince might be Jon Snow. He is strongly associated with towers. I don't think Arya will be the lady to throw herself from a tower, but she probably will be the one to go kill all the people who kill her prince.

Just a guess.

If it's Jon then maybe the woman is Val, who has been residing in a tower at the Castle Black. 

Although I'd think Jon would be represented by mention of a king rather than a prince.

Archived