Why did GRRM make Griffin POV character instead of Rhaegar's son Aegon?

Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn

Daenerys and all characters who are likely to be  Targaryen are POV: Jon, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime. Viserys was exception because GRRM wanted to kill him from the beginning.  

There can be two reasons why Aegon is not POV character:

• Aegon is going to die like Robb Stark and Viserys Targaryen.
  • Aegon knows more than Jon Connington who participated in Robert's Rebellion and GRRM doesn't want to reveal it.

If  the second reason is true is it possible that Aegon knows his true parentage?

8 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Maester Aemon was not a POV. Varys is not a POV. Bloodraven was not a POV. 

GRRM used Aemon's parentage as shocking moment for Jon in AGOT. So he couldn't make him POV.

Varys and Littlefinger cannot be POV. They know too much.

If I remember correctly Bran won't be POV in TWOW. Maybe Bloodraven will be POV character.

But what is the reason for Aegon Targaryen, trueborn son of last dragon? Does he have the knowledge of Aemon, Varys and Bloodraven combined?

12 minutes ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

But what is the reason for Aegon Targaryen, trueborn son of last dragon? Does he have the knowledge of Aemon, Varys and Bloodraven combined?

Why would he need the knowledge combined ? It would be enough if he knew the true rumoured dornish master plan TM.

23 minutes ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

GRRM used Aemon's parentage as shocking moment for Jon in AGOT. So he couldn't make him POV.

And you think all three of the Lannisters are secret Targs, but that's not going to be a shocking revelation?

Also, if you think all three Lannister are Targs, and also Varys, and that Aegon is real, maybe it would be easier to make a list of characters who aren't Targs rather than those who are.

Or, if you go with the people who are definitely Targs, the two who are probably the most important characters in the story get PoVs, while none of the others do, so most likely there is no rule about Targs getting PoVs in the first place.

I don't think Targ=POV, I don't know why Aegon has no POV but its the same as Robb - another boy leader, then king - who is seen mainly through the eyes of his mother, Aegon through his 'father' and through Tyrion.

It maintains mystery about Aegon, he is already invading Westeros and so far we know very little about him - is he just a dickhead, is he actually quite interesting, does he have any real ability? With Jon Con seemingly doomed and losing interest in Aegon's mission (shown in surrendering control to Aegon) I wonder if Aegon will die soon, too. Of course, another POV might pick up the slack of reporting on him, or he might be given his own POV.

Having no POV makes him more like a pretender in history that you speculate about.

18 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I don't think Targ=POV, I don't know why Aegon has no POV but its the same as Robb - another boy leader, then king - who is seen mainly through the eyes of his mother, Aegon through his 'father' and through Tyrion.

It maintains mystery about Aegon, he is already invading Westeros and so far we know very little about him - is he just a dickhead, is he actually quite interesting, does he have any real ability? With Jon Con seemingly doomed and losing interest in Aegon's mission (shown in surrendering control to Aegon) I wonder if Aegon will die soon, too. Of course, another POV might pick up the slack of reporting on him, or he might be given his own POV.

Having no POV makes him more like a pretender in history that you speculate about.

Yeap. It is all about the story that the storyteller wants to tell and how he wants to tell it. 

33 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Who will break guest right?

I think that you misunderstood me. I don't say that Targ=POV. But Targaryen is main house in this story, Dunk and Egg tales, World of Ice and Fire, Fire and Blood. if Targaryen character who was thought to be dead from the beginning is revealed he deserves being POV. Aegon is not same with Robb, Renly, Joffrey, Viserys and all other characters died in ASOS.

1 hour ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

Daenerys and all characters who are likely to be  Targaryen are POV: Jon, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime. Viserys was exception because GRRM wanted to kill him from the beginning.  

• Aegon knows more than Jon Connington who participated in Robert's Rebellion and GRRM doesn't want to reveal it.

If  the second reason is true is it possible that Aegon knows his true parentage?

I have a suspicion that Aegon is not going to last very long.   The fact that he was introduced so late in the story doesn't help his case.

Jon Connington knowing about Robert's Rebellion would actually be a factor as to why he is a POV.  If he has information, late in the series is the perfect time to reveal it.  With only two books (supposedly) left, it's a good time for some revelations about the past, and even the present activities of secretive characters.

I think that Connington is a POV character because of the two, he's more important to the story.  Aegon is is probably a Blackfyre mummer and so is not directly descended from Rheghar.  Jon, however, has Greyscale and as such will likely have a major impact on the story.  I also think that the history of his House during the Age of Heroes could be important to the back story. The legend of Winged Knight of House Arryn fighting and killing a Griffin seems to indicate that the two families are descended from dragon lords, which I think could be of importance.

He's going to die and he has no character arc. There's no meat to the character, he's Dany's sense of entitlement with barely anything more. He is just the face of Varys's plans and beliefs, the logic that manipulating the game of thrones to an altruistic end will outweigh the damage done to achieve that end and is therefor justified. And Varys didn't even get a POV.

It seems to be a theme with GRRM that none of the kings (de jure or de facto) get POVs, instead we view them through the eyes of other characters who react to them. Stannis, Robb, Mace, Tywin, Joffrey, Tommen, Euron, Balon, Renly, Robert, none of them get POVs. I guess he didn't want to break the pattern.

8 hours ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

I think that you misunderstood me. I don't say that Targ=POV. But Targaryen is main house in this story, Dunk and Egg tales, World of Ice and Fire, Fire and Blood. if Targaryen character who was thought to be dead from the beginning is revealed he deserves being POV. Aegon is not same with Robb, Renly, Joffrey, Viserys and all other characters died in ASOS.

Not even Stannis has a POV and he is narrated through Davos. Why does he deserve a POV ? Connington is the Davos to young Griff. 

10 hours ago, Grazdan zo Azer said:

There's a third possible reason, GRRM may have just wanted Aegon's story told from the perspective of an outsider. Davos was created because GRRM wanted someone to tell Stannis' story without making Stannis himself a POV, so it may be the same here. 

53 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Not even Stannis has a POV and he is narrated through Davos. Why does he deserve a POV ? Connington is the Davos to young Griff. 

44 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

There's a third possible reason, GRRM may have just wanted Aegon's story told from the perspective of an outsider. Davos was created because GRRM wanted someone to tell Stannis' story without making Stannis himself a POV, so it may be the same here. 

The difference between Stannis and Aegon is that we have no suspicion about Stannis' parentage. 

The similarity is that both are included to lies that Daenerys should break (House of Undying).

And I believe that this lie is Aegon's true parentage. 

2 hours ago, Nihlus said:

It seems to be a theme with GRRM that none of the kings (de jure or de facto) get POVs, instead we view them through the eyes of other characters who react to them. Stannis, Robb, Mace, Tywin, Joffrey, Tommen, Euron, Balon, Renly, Robert, none of them get POVs. I guess he didn't want to break the pattern.

This.

I think the older Connington has a much more interesting POV than Young Griff at this point anyway. He's the former Hand of the King whose failure led to his ruin and, indirectly, the death of someone he loved. I'm much more interested in seeing his thoughts than I am Aegon, who realistically knows about as much as his apparent secret half brother.

I do think it's interesting that both Daenerys (Queen, not a King) and Jon Snow (likely Rhaegar's son) do get POVs. It's one of the things that makes me question whether either will ever sit the Iron Throne.

Archived