MinscS2

How good a swordsman is Jon actually?

65 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Just my opinion but based on what I have seen (and realizing that Jon is as good as the writers need him to be) he definitely could not have won against pre-amputee Jaime.  He would have also lost to the Clegane Boys, Sylvio would have sliced and diced him.  I don't think that he would have stood a chance against Sir Arthur Dane and probably would have lost to Barristan Selmy in his prime.  He might not even have been as good as Eddard Stark. 

To take it outside of Westeros and ASOIAF I think that  you would have had to go deep into the Round Table before you found someone he could actually beat.  Of course any of Dumas' Four Musketeers would have easily taken Jon's Lunch Money, as would Rochfort.  (I include Dumas because that is essentially the fencing that Silvio is teaching Arya). A Japanese samurai would also probably have won.  

Frankly I was surprised at what Ramsay said about Jon's skill as nothing that I have seen so far in the series has shown Jon to be particularly outstanding.  He always seems to win by luck, he is always rescued at the last second.  

Well, I guess Ramsay means that when it comes to Jon's current competition. Arthur and Barristan are dead, Jaime is sans his sword hand, Syrio is (presumably) dead, The Mountain fights with his hands by ripping off heads Sub-Zero style, no one knows the Hound is alive and Loras hasn't shown any particular fighting ability with the sword.

Posted (edited)

On 12/11/2017 at 9:26 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Well, I guess Ramsay means that when it comes to Jon's current competition. Arthur and Barristan are dead, Jaime is sans his sword hand, Syrio is (presumably) dead, The Mountain fights with his hands by ripping off heads Sub-Zero style, no one knows the Hound is alive and Loras hasn't shown any particular fighting ability with the sword.

Well, if the Jon that I have seen is the best than the quality of swordsmanship has pretty much hit rock bottom.  Jon had better hope that Daario doesn't show up to challenge him for Dany's hand.  How about Brienne or maybe even Arya?  Both are living in Westeros and both could probably slice and dice "the best swordsman who ever lived".

Edited by Byfort of Corfe

On 12/17/2017 at 7:47 PM, Giomax said:

Who do you think would win in a sword fight: Jon or Jorah?

I think Jorah has the greater skill but Jon's speed and endurance would give him the win. I also believe Jon is better at adapting to different fight settings.

What I find frustrating with Jon are the showmakers desire to have him go one step forward/one step backwards.

He was great at Hardhome (the ending of which is still my favourite scene/moment from the entire series) but he then had to be rescued in the Battle of the Bastards and was thoroughly out-manouvered without nothing to offer.

And then in the mission behind the wall, he didn't seem to lead or take charge of the fight on the lake until they were all ready to leave. So when the zombies are pouring across the lake, he's seemingly having a crisis of confidence contemplating the futility of their situation, yet when Dany arrives and they are ready to leave suddenly he can't get enough of killing the zombies, showing off to Dany and feeling that he needs to clear a 10 metre circle of walkers before they can leave.

I just wish they could show him as being more switched on in fights - having him recognise the Bolton trap before lamely getting comprised and having to be embarrassingly rescued, having him suggest breaking the ice on the lake before the second assault or him being the one to see Tormund in trouble and pull him from the hordes.

I just wish they would SHOW us him being cool in battle rather than TELLING us how cool he is.