Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

Dornishwoman's Husband

33 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Sansa - Sandor

Jaime - Brienne

Arya - Gendry

Bran - Meera - she is coming back folks, and bringing her father and their men.

All of them great!^_^ YES!!!!!!!!!!! They are saving the best for the last

Frikidoctor said that Martin said that Howland Reed would appear in the last season in one of his last videos.

Yes, I think we will se Howland, and that means Meera as well (They'd no bring him back alone!). Also, the preliminary outlines of the last episodes had lots of differences from the finale ones (we just have to see the wight hunt). A preliminary outline is different from a definitive one.

On 18/9/2017 at 7:15 PM, MakeThemBurn said:

Sansa and Gendry. Sansa is the younger, more beautiful queen Cersei was warned about. She has also caused the deaths of Joffrey, Myrcella and Tywin by telling Olenna about Joffrey. This fits into the "takes everything you hold dear" -part. Also, half of Sansa's story happened in King's Landing and her entire story arc began as she was supposed to marry a Baratheon. That Baratheon will be Gendry in the end. The show has also made it clear that Sansa is a great ruler who the northern lords respect more than Jon. While Jon is chasing after zombies, Sansa is ruling the north. As for Gendry, his story has been all about the power of King's blood. Him rowing his way to the Iron Throne might seem like a curve ball but it has to do with the show putting such a big emphasis on the Iron Throne and GRRM ditching his original plan of a 5-year jump after book 3 where we last saw Gendry. Arya's path is darker. She's a killer, not a queen.

Jaime and Brienne. These two definitely share a bond. Will Brienne be more than plot tool to push Jaime towards a road of redemption? We shall see.

Not really a pairing but Tyrion falling for Dany and becoming her betrayal for love. In his original story GRRM had a love triangle between Jon, Arya and Tyrion. This ended in Jon marrying Arya while Tyrion was left alone and jealous. GRRM has changed a lot but what is interesting is that he has kept many plot lines but changed the characters and modified the situations they occur in. I believe this is one of these cases. Replace Arya with Dany and the last scene with the three starts to make sense. We had Jon knocking Dany's door and Tyrion looking at them with a grim look in his face. Also, Tyrion has a history of unrequited love and bitterness towards women. In the fifth book he keeps repeating "where do whores go?" in a manner of asking where he might find his one true love Tysha. And he keeps asking this on his way to Daenerys. For Tyrion, Dany will become yet another whore who breaks his heart.

Gendry is a character too secondary, he is not going to be the King.

and because Gendry / Sansa ?, They have absolutely nothing to do, It would be a "romance" that came out of nowhere, and that is gaining some ground thanks to the fake "filtration" of the Next and Last season, but anyway I refuse to believe that crap.

Romance in general?

1. Dany and Jon, obviously.
  2. Missandei and Grey Worm, very little screen time. 
  3. Sam and Gilly, again, very little screen time.
  4. Dany and Jorah, unrequited love.
  5. Dany and Tyrion, unrequited love.
  6. Jaime and Brienne, romantic endgame.
  7. Jaime and Cersei, that story is not over yet but it's not very romantic. :unsure:
  8. Arya and Gendry, probably an ambiguous ending, like maybe not now but in the future.
  9. I really don't see Sansa ending up alone, or a least, without a romantic endgame or political marriage, it's part of her arc. 
  10. Tyrion needs to be allowed to have a romantic arc of his own but I can see him ending up alone, he is a very grey character. 
  11. Cersei and Euron? Maybe, I'm not sure but I don't consider that romance. 
  12.  No love for Bran. :P (Or maybe Meera? That would be great) 

5 hours ago, TRILOGY said:

Romance in general?

1. Dany and Jon, obviously.
  2. Missandei and Grey Worm, very little screen time. 
  3. Sam and Gilly, again, very little screen time.
  4. Dany and Jorah, unrequited love.
  5. Dany and Tyrion, unrequited love.
  6. Jaime and Brienne, romantic endgame.
  7. Jaime and Cersei, that story is not over yet but it's not very romantic. :unsure:
  8. Arya and Gendry, probably an ambiguous ending, like maybe not now but in the future.
  9. I really don't see Sansa ending up alone, or a least, without a romantic endgame or political marriage, it's part of her arc. 
  10. Tyrion needs to be allowed to have a romantic arc of his own but I can see him ending up alone, he is a very grey character. 
  11. Cersei and Euron? Maybe, I'm not sure but I don't consider that romance. 
  12.  No love for Bran. :P (Or maybe Meera? That would be great) 

No Tormund and Brienne? I would say that there's much more unrequited love between those two than between Dany and Tyrion. At least we know that Tormund is into Brienne, while it's really up in the air if Tyrion has that sort of feelings for Dany. (If he has, then the show really a shoddy job depicting it.)

Tyrion might end up with Sansa, they have yet to consummate their marriage after all, but I can also see him ending up alone. He has had two romantic relationships after all, and they both ended catastrophically. 

14 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

All of them great!^_^ YES!!!!!!!!!!! They are saving the best for the last

Frikidoctor said that Martin said that Howland Reed would appear in the last season in one of his last videos.

Yes, I think we will se Howland, and that means Meera as well (They'd no bring him back alone!). Also, the preliminary outlines of the last episodes had lots of differences from the finale ones (we just have to see the wight hunt). A preliminary outline is different from a definitive one.

If D&D wrote Meera out of the series, which the preliminary outline strongly implies they did, they're not going to change their minds.

Even assuming for the sake of argument that Meera does return, though, Bran/Meera is DOA. Their goodbye scene made that very clear.

10 hours ago, TRILOGY said:

1. Missandei and Grey Worm, very little screen time.

LOL, their love scene was longer than Jon and Dany's.

Jaime and Brienne, romantic endgame.

If you think Jaime's making it out of the series alive, I have a bridge to sell you.

I really don't see Sansa ending up alone, or a least, without a romantic endgame or political marriage, it's part of her arc. 

What better culmination of her arc for Sansa, having dreamt of nothing more than marriage and having been used and abused as a marriage pawn for the entirety of the series, than choosing to abstain from marriage once and for all and being completely fine with it? Turning her back on romantic illusions and political marriage altogether in favour of her own autonomy and power is the perfect resolution to her arc. 

Tyrion needs to be allowed to have a romantic arc of his own

Why on earth why? As pointed out, Tyrion has had two canon romantic entanglements that ended very badly for him. He doesn't want love anymore, anyway; all he wants is a vineyard where he can throw parties for his friends. Give him his goddamn vineyard and leave the man in peace.

No love for Bran.  (Or maybe Meera? That would be great) 

The Bran Meera loved is dead.

On 16.9.2017 at 3:16 PM, Dornishwoman's Husband said:

Arya and Gendry

I don't see this at all. Why do you think this is likely? They had an escape together, but are very different types. I guess Arya stays single and adventures "west of westeros" as she once said she is interested in. We have no indication at all that Arya has romantic feelings or sexual interest at all.

The only point in favor would be the simple "Ned's daughter, Robert's son" issue to join the families. I am very sceptical.

2. Sansa and Sando

Very unlikely. Watched "Beauty and the biest" to often? Sandor might have a better heart than initially presented, but a romance with lady-like Sansa? I don't see any indication of that in the movies.

Sansa end in bittersweet single status after two catastrophic marriages would be fine with me.Can be left open for the far future....maybe she will eventually find someone...

3. Brienne and Jaime/Tormund

This is the most likely of your speculations. Brienne and Jamie for sure have some kind of weird attraction that actually was presented in the movies several times -- in stark contrast to your other theories. Thus, I could imagine them coming together now that Jamie/Cersei is not anymore.

Tormund might have fallen for Brienne, but surely not Brienne for Tormund. Brienne is ladylike and believes in the knight-stuff of honor and loyalty. Nothing of that in crude Tormund.

Jon/Daenerys is a certain couple anyway, for some time at least. Whatever role Tyrion will play...

I am sure Missandei and Grey Worm will play a role. Maybe she betrayes Daenerys because of her love or he does something stupid because of it. There were too many clear scenes involving their love.

In summary, I believe love will not be in the center of season 8.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Even assuming for the sake of argument that Meera does return, though, Bran/Meera is DOA. Their goodbye scene made that very clear.

Their goodbye scene made it very clear that Meera cares for Bran a lot; and in the scenes in Winterfell we see that his siblings and Sam do care about him as well. I think it's reasonable to suspect that Bran's story will have some twist and he'll be kind of the Bran we were accustomed to. And Meera could come back and he'd be very concerned about what he did, but she would pardon him. Bran cared a lot about Meera in the show every season, that's not a proper goodbye scene, and they changed it. The showrunners said that it was a matter of time (downloading info too quickly) that stressed Bran, but he needs time to control his powers. The other three-eyed raven behaved normally and we know that he said that he'd not stay in that cave forever. No twist and being absent contradicts the words of BloodRaven, since the way he behaves now is even worse than staying in the cave.

23 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Tormund the crude and Brienne the lady-like knight? Really? Any hint for Brienne liking him?

What about all the actual indications of Brienne and Jamie liking each other?

19 minutes ago, Tywinelle said:

1. Definitely.

2. No way.

3. Jaime, possibly. Tormund, no way.

Lol, you guys take shipping too seriously. ;)

With only 6 episodes left and so many things to resolve, there won't be much time for romance plots except Jon and Dany.

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

LOL, their love scene was longer than Jon and Dany's.

Yes, that's so funny but they're secondary characters and this is the final season. What's there left to explore? 

If you think Jaime's making it out of the series alive, I have a bridge to sell you.

I never say anything about Jaime's endgame, I'm talking about his romantic endgame, it's different. 

What better culmination of her arc for Sansa, having dreamt of nothing more than marriage and having been used and abused as a marriage pawn for the entirety of the series, than choosing to abstain from marriage once and for all and being completely fine with it? Turning her back on romantic illusions and political marriage altogether in favour of her own autonomy and power is the perfect resolution to her arc.

I don't think that's the point GRRM is trying to make, it's not about marriage.

"It’s only when her romantic ideals are shattered that she becomes able to see people as individuals instead of characters from a song, and discovers the value of people she once would have dismissed due to their failure to live up to the way she wanted the world to look." That's the point of her arc. Why can't she have both? Family and power? Love and autonomy? 

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

Tyrion has had two canon romantic entanglements that ended very badly for him. 

And? That hasn't stopped Dany or Jon. Tyrion wants to love and wants that love to be returned even though he believes it’s impossible because it has been drilled in him that he’s unlovable because of what he is. I'm expecting GRRM to do something about that, something much more intelligent than "It's Tyrion, he only fucks prostitutes, drinks wine and knows things."

8 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

No Tormund and Brienne? I would say that there's much more unrequited love between those two than between Dany and Tyrion. At least we know that Tormund is into Brienne.

I forgot about Tormund and Brienne, but again, this is what the actress said:

Tormund/Brienne:

"She seems fairly repelled by Tormund’s strong overtures toward her. She’s more enthused by a more cerebral approach."

Brienne/Jaime: 

“They have had this complex relationship which really can’t be defined, so it’s a really fascinating setup to move forward, for where we will go in the final season."

Source: http://watchersonthewall.com/gwendoline-christie-game-thrones-season-7-finale-jaime-tormund/

While it's really up in the air if Tyrion has that sort of feelings for Dany. (If he has, then the show really a shoddy job depicting it.)

Tyrion might end up with Sansa, they have yet to consummate their marriage after all, but I can also see him ending up alone. He has had two romantic relationships after all, and they both ended catastrophically. 

Picture someone who looks like Jon or Jaime looking at Dany and saying stuff like “It’s yours, now and always”, “I believe in you”, “If you die, everything ends”, “He wasn’t the first to love you, and he won’t be the last” and tell me it doesn’t sound romantic. Is it so hard to believe that this man would have more than platonic feelings for the "most beautiful woman in the world", the one that gave him a purpose in the darkest moment of his life and the validation he's always sought but never received from his family? And yeah, I like Tyrion with Sansa or alone but he's a complex character. 

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Sansa end in bittersweet single status after two catastrophic marriages would be fine with me.

Me, too. Not to mention that Sansa is unlikely to be keen on producing heirs after Ramsay repeatedly raped her with that goal in mind.

38 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Their goodbye scene made it very clear that Meera cares for Bran a lot; (...) Bran cared a lot about Meera in the show every season, that's not a proper goodbye scene, and they changed it. 

The Bran Meera loved (and who cared for Meera) died in the cave, as Meera realized in that scene. D&D couldn't have spelled it out any more clearly. They're not big on subtlety.

30 minutes ago, Zapho said:

With only 6 episodes left and so many things to resolve, there won't be much time for romance plots except Jon and Dany.

I agree. It looks like Jon and Dany's romance will bring the angst once Jon's parentage is outed as well, so there will be no shortage of romance-fueled drama in Season 8 from Jon and Dany.

7 minutes ago, TRILOGY said:

I never say anything about Jaime's endgame, I'm talking about his romantic endgame, it's different. 

In fandom parlance as far as I know, endgame usually means "together at the end and alive."

"It’s only when her romantic ideals are shattered that she becomes able to see people as individuals instead of characters from a song, and discovers the value of people she once would have dismissed due to their failure to live up to the way she wanted the world to look." That's the point of her arc. Why can't she have both? Family and power? Love and autonomy? 

Because this isn't a fairytale about characters learning valuable lessons and self-actualizing. GRRM isn't telling tidy little parables about Having It All. Characters have to make hard, painful choices and give up things they value in order to get what they want. Sansa wants autonomy and power above all, and love/marriage would weaken her. Cersei warned Sansa that love would make her weak, and Sansa says that she learned a lot from Cersei, so...

And? That hasn't stopped Dany or Jon.

Dany and Jon are a lot younger and considerably less jaded than Tyrion, who (in the show) has never slept with a woman who wasn't being paid for the privilege. Not to mention that Jon and Dany are incredibly hot and lack Tyrion's complex about his looks, which has informed a lot of his issues with relationships for obvious reasons.

Tyrion wants to love and wants that love to be returned even though he believes it’s impossible because it has been drilled in him that he’s unlovable because of what he is. I'm expecting GRRM to do something about that, something much more intelligent than "It's Tyrion, he only fucks prostitutes, drinks wine and knows things."

Tyrion doesn't have any kind of romantic arc in the show post-S4, but then, he doesn't need one. It's much better for Tyrion to start accepting the love that is in his life from people who care about him as a friend--Jon, Varys, Bronn, Pod, etc.--than to chase after a romantic fantasy which is never going to be realized, which is how he got into trouble with Shae in the first place. His big postwar fantasy in the show--having a vineyard and inviting his friends to hang out--suggests to me that Tyrion grasps this. Tyrion seems to be very slowly inching his way towards this understanding in the books as well, in spite of his downward spiral in ADWD.

18 hours ago, Newstar said:

Nope. Meera's gone, permanently. The leaked outline spelled that out.

What's with assuming multiple major characters are suddenly going to hook up in Season 8? Harry Potter this ain't. We already have three canon romances, and one of them is (apparently) the only one that matters: Jon/Dany. Jaime/Brienne might have a shot--although I doubt it will take the form of a capital-r Romance--but Arya/Gendry and Sandor/Sansa? LOL no.

The cast and crew have been very clear that Brienne has no interest in Tormund; the whole thing has been played for laughs. I doubt that will change anytime soon. Doesn't mean Jaime/Brienne is any more likely, of course. Tormund's crush on Brienne is little more than a joke that D&D decided to run with because the fans loved it.

Nah, she will be back, no one gets a send off that simple, also, her dad was at the Tower of Joy and will meet Jon / Aegon again.

2 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Do not change my words when you quote me. correct this.

He didn't twist your words, it was his way of saying that Jamie, Brienne and possibly Sandor have a large chance of ending up dead, so there won't be a happy romance in the end for these pairings. 

45 minutes ago, Newstar said:

The Bran Meera loved (and who cared for Meera) died in the cave, as Meera realized in that scene. D&D couldn't have spelled it out any more clearly. They're not big on subtlety.

They are subtle actually, many many times, they are actually both things, subtle and direct depending on the ocasion; like when Sandor says: "I hate gingers" regerring to the opposite thing or when Jon's destiny/duty/origins are "secretly" revealed,  (his origins are subtletly revealed many times during the show).......

She feels he died, but he hasn't died, Bran is still inside and can reappear. One thing is what the characters say/feel the other is the reality. It's expected that the viewer makes a little effort and doesn't take everything literally, even if the person doesn't like the characters involved.

You are not gonna stay in that cave forever

And we have this:

Brandon Stark needs you. ...

He isn't gonna stay here forever.

And out there. He needs you.

Archived