Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

Dornishwoman's Husband

On 9/16/2017 at 6:16 AM, Dornishwoman's Husband said:

Brienne and Jaime/Tormund - Now that on the show Jaime finally broke up with Cersei, we can hope that Jaime will take Brienne's virginity. Will Brienne give up to him or to Tormund remains to be seen.

Brienne and Jaime!

Now that Jaime has dumped Cersei. And is NEVER LOOKING BACK AGAIN according to the script.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/c45c9c696c70a7f37b7cbc3680f01c83/tumblr_ouga44N4xV1wuoip6o2_1280.jpg

The Beauty and the Beast romance is on. It's been setup for seasons.

Episode Commentaries:

Season 3:

Over the “we don’t get to choose who we love” scene when Brienne is holding Jaime by the hair.

“An unexpected moment of tenderness between them, foreshadowing what may happen.”

-Daniel Minahan (Director, 3x2)

"We wanted to plant a little seed here. For the first time, she addresses him as “Ser Jaime”, and that doesn’t go unnoticed. I think what we’re trying to do is put a little tiny spark between the two. Whether it’s romantic or not, we don’t know yet but she saved his life, and what they’ve gone through now has taken it to another stage. From being enemies to being friends and potentially more." -Michelle MacLaren (Director, 3x7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxdRxzj_5w

Season 4:

Michelle MacLaren (Director, 4x4): I love the relationship between these two because I think they actually love each other, I really do. I think she’s in love with him and I think that Jaime has such a huge regard for her. I think there’s a part of him that loves her too. It's such a sweet romance.

Robert McLachlan (cinematographer): So poignant. 

MacLaren: It is. I think that when they say goodbye here, to me it’s like a love that never gets to... at least in this episode gets to... I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future...

McLachlan: I got a real sense here that neither one of them thinks they are ever going to see each other again.

MacLaren: Yeah, exactly. I think we shot it as if two people who love each other are saying goodbye forever.

http://virgin-who-cannot-drive.tumblr.com/post/110913875467/got-s4-commentaries-director-michelle-maclaren

Season 6:

"Brienne of Tarth and Ser Jaime Lannister is the ultimate love story to me. I find it quite beautiful."

- Mark Mylod (Director, 6x8)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7KIYcSBtnGJQktoT29EaHgyMmc/view

“It’s yours. It will always be yours.”

Mark Mylod: I love that line.

Essie Davis: Aww...

Mark Mylod and Davis: [laugh]

Essie Davis: He loves her.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: My heart...

Mark Mylod: He’s talking about his heart, you know.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: Of course he is.

Essie Davis: What about his sister?

Mark Mylod: [Laughs]

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: That’s ... I don’t know what that is anymore.

https://vid.me/o4oY

Tormund has been dismissed by DnD as "creeping out on Brienne". He's an unwanted suitor and will play the role of Hyle Hunt/the Red Ronnet. Someone to make Jaime jealous. All good fun.

1 hour ago, sapphire_lion said:

Tormund has been dismissed by DnD as "creeping out on Brienne". He's an unwanted suitor and will play the role of Hyle Hunt/the Red Ronnet. Someone to make Jaime jealous. All good fun.

Even GC has said Brienne doesn't welcome Tormund's advances.

40 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

Even GC has said Brienne doesn't welcome Tormund's advances.

Yup.

"As far as I’m aware, has Brienne displayed anything that says I’m engaged with this? I really want this to happen?" -Gwendoline Christie 

"Certainly, I think there's something of some significance that's causing Brienne to give [male companionship] some thought, but it isn't in the form of Tormund I don't think. I think that possibly Brienne has a slightly more complex relationship with someone else and perhaps that takes up her fullest capacity." -Gwendoline Christie 

http://www.etonline.com/tv/223744_westeros_weekly_game_of_thrones_7x05_eastwatch_gwendoline_christie_tormund)

Gwen: Do you think she actually likes [Tormund]?

Interviewer: No.

Gwen: Well, there you go!

http://www.newsweek.com/2017/07/21/game-thrones-has-many-unforgettable-characters-gwendoline-christies-brienne-634270.html

"Well, let’s not forget Tormund does certainly have his, very well put, creepy smile. He also enjoys masticating that chicken leg. Didn’t do much for her, did it?" -Gwendoline Christie

“I think maybe it’s the nature of Tormund’s advances, whilst amusing, they’re not really enticing,” Christie added. “She’s a woman that is inspired [by] and attracted to mutual respect.” -Gwendoline Christie

http://www.etonline.com/tv/223744_westeros_weekly_game_of_thrones_7x05_eastwatch_gwendoline_christie_tormund)

I don't see Sansa or Arya as ending the story with a love interest. I think it's much more likely for Arya to go off and do her own thing in Essos/elsewhere, and perhaps find companionship as an adult with someone new. As for Sansa, I suspect that healing herself after everything she's endured will take some years, at the very least.

Trauma, especially sexual trauma, isn't something that you can wave away with some magical lovin'. They both have deep, deep scars that'll make loving and trusting men in the future at least more difficult. I wouldn't write off love, romance or companionship for either of them, but I think whatever development takes place there will be beyond the scope of the main series. Both of them are very young and have no reason to seek or desire romance right at this moment in the story. 

As for Bran, that's largely up in the air and will depend on if his 3ER state is permanent or not. Who knows, it may come to pass that all the weirwoods and therefore all the Old Gods will be eliminated by the end and he'll resume life as Bran Stark. I think we can safely write Meera off as out of the story at this point. 

I don't think there's any reason to believe that Game of Thrones will suddenly pair off every major character at the end a la Harry Potter. This isn't that kind of story. The important pairs have been established, and most of the "romance time" will be devoted to them. 

38 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I don't see Sansa or Arya as ending the story with a love interest. I think it's much more likely for Arya to go off and do her own thing in Essos/elsewhere, and perhaps find companionship as an adult with someone new. As for Sansa, I suspect that healing herself after everything she's endured will take some years, at the very least.

Trauma, especially sexual trauma, isn't something that you can wave away with some magical lovin'. They both have deep, deep scars that'll make loving and trusting men in the future at least more difficult. I wouldn't write off love, romance or companionship for either of them, but I think whatever development takes place there will be beyond the scope of the main series. Both of them are very young and have no reason to seek or desire romance right at this moment in the story. 

As for Bran, that's largely up in the air and will depend on if his 3ER state is permanent or not. Who knows, it may come to pass that all the weirwoods and therefore all the Old Gods will be eliminated by the end and he'll resume life as Bran Stark. I think we can safely write Meera off as out of the story at this point. 

I don't think there's any reason to believe that Game of Thrones will suddenly pair off every major character at the end a la Harry Potter. This isn't that kind of story. The important pairs have been established, and most of the "romance time" will be devoted to them. 

Of the core seven characters on the show, the only one who I think needs to end up paired up in order to complete their arc is Dany (assuming she survives). Her core arc since episode 1 has been about returning home which really means family. Her ending up with Jon and a magic Tag baby is probably how she "goes home."

I agree with your points about Sansa on the whole. The only reason why I could see her ending up paired up is if the show does not want to leave it ambiguous on whether or not House Stark will survive (assuming Jon ends up ruling Westeros which seems like a safe assumption at this point). Her ending up paired up and Lady of Winterfell could be a way for the show to unambiguously signal that House Stark continues and will continue through her line. 

6 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Of the core seven characters on the show, the only one who I think needs to end up paired up in order to complete their arc is Dany (assuming she survives). Her core arc since episode 1 has been about returning home which really means family. Her ending up with Jon and a magic Tag baby is probably how she "goes home."

Agreed. Dany's core emotional complex is specifically about love, home and family. Motherhood is the dominating motif of her story, and her story won't be done until she has a living child, and gets to mother that child like she never got the chance to with Rhaego. Ultimately, i suspect her 3 dragon "children" will die and be replaced by human Targaryen children. I also don't see her being truly happy with anyone except another Targaryen. Incest taboo be damned, lol. 

I agree with your points about Sansa on the whole. The only reason why I could see her ending up paired up is if the show does not want to leave it ambiguous on whether or not House Stark will survive (assuming Jon ends up ruling Westeros which seems like a safe assumption at this point). Her ending up paired up and Lady of Winterfell could be a way for the show to unambiguously signal that House Stark continues and will continue through her line. 

That's a good point. I could still see Sansa arranging her own marriage by the end, or giving some kind of sign that a husband and child are in her future. 

What I don't see is Sansa having sex with a character we already know before the story ends. That would be a rushed development, in my opinion, and do a disservice to the degree of trauma she's endured thus far. She seems to be satisfied for the moment, being among her family and in control of her own destiny. To me, that seems 100% something that may be addressed in an epilogue, some years down the road.

There's no reason a young survivor of abuse needs to be paired up right at this moment, when she has a multitude of other, more pressing concerns. Sansa as a character is more than who she ends up fucking, if it has to be anyone at all. Let the girl heal some, let her have some emotional space before another man gets thrust her way. 

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Yes and yes. I would just add that I don't see Arya pulling a Catelyn and marrying one dude and staying with him forever; the pseudo-Aryas in the Westeros histories either had multiple husbands (Elaena Targaryen, Nymeria) or scandalous affairs (Daena Targaryen, Nettles, etc.).

I think we can safely write Meera off as out of the story at this point. 

I agree.

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

I agree with your points about Sansa on the whole. The only reason why I could see her ending up paired up is if the show does not want to leave it ambiguous on whether or not House Stark will survive (assuming Jon ends up ruling Westeros which seems like a safe assumption at this point). Her ending up paired up and Lady of Winterfell could be a way for the show to unambiguously signal that House Stark continues and will continue through her line.

Paired up with whom, though? Unless they do a flashforward, there's no realistic way to show Sansa going from traumatized rape survivor to happily paired up over the course of six episodes, and if she were going to wind up with an established GOT character (as opposed to random Northern lord #39), D&D would have laid the foundation for that relationship prior to S8 as they have with the other established relationships. So if they do pair her off, it will be random Northern lord #39 in a flashforward, or nothing.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

That's a good point. I could still see Sansa arranging her own marriage by the end, or giving some kind of sign that a husband and child are in her future. 

What I don't see is Sansa having sex with a character we already know before the story ends. That would be a rushed development, in my opinion, and do a disservice to the degree of trauma she's endured thus far. She seems to be satisfied for the moment, being among her family and in control of her own destiny. To me, that seems 100% something that may be addressed in an epilogue, some years down the road.

I'd go even further and say that it would be rushed for Sansa to start showing interest in romance at this point, let alone sex. Give her a few years, maybe, but with a war on, with her trauma still fresh? No way. Sansa's also unlikely to be interested much in romance after realizing that Littlefinger did all this horrible shit to her family while genuinely loving her on some level; that's likely to mess with her head.

As I said, the only way I could see it is if they did flashfoward several years in the future showing her married to random Northern lord #39 or what have you. 

10 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Yes and yes. I would just add that I don't see Arya pulling a Catelyn and marrying one dude and staying with him forever; the pseudo-Aryas in the Westeros histories either had multiple husbands (Elaena Targaryen, Nymeria) or scandalous affairs (Daena Targaryen, Nettles, etc.).

I agree.

Paired up with whom, though? Unless they do a flashforward, there's no realistic way to show Sansa going from traumatized rape survivor to happily paired up over the course of six episodes, and if she were going to wind up with an established GOT character (as opposed to random Northern lord #39), D&D would have laid the foundation for that relationship prior to S8 as they have with the other established relationships. So if they do pair her off, it will be random Northern lord #39 in a flashforward, or nothing.

I'd go even further and say that it would be rushed for Sansa to start showing interest in romance at this point, let alone sex. Give her a few years, maybe, but with a war on, with her trauma still fresh? No way. Sansa's also unlikely to be interested much in romance after realizing that Littlefinger did all this horrible shit to her family while genuinely loving her on some level; that's likely to mess with her head.

As I said, the only way I could see it is if they did flashfoward several years in the future showing her married to random Northern lord #39 or what have you. 

Random northern lord #39 or bust feels about right. The last 30 min of that last episode prob covers a whole lot of time to leave us with those dreams of spring. If it happens happens there.

31 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Random northern lord #39 or bust feels about right. The last 30 min of that last episode prob covers a whole lot of time to leave us with those dreams of spring. If it happens happens there.

If all that matters is that Sansa bears children to continue the Stark line, it hardly matters whom she marries. It's like Captain America and Peggy Carter; the identity of her husband didn't matter, because all that mattered was that it wasn't Steve. True Blood did something similar with Sookie's endgame husband. 

The more I think about it, the more likely it is that Sansa understanding in S7 that LF truly loved her while simultaneously doing all manner of horrible things to her --and her mixed feelings about executing someone who for all his nefariousness seemed to have genuine feelings for her and passionately declared his love in his last moments--is going to compound her trust issues and openness to any kind of romantic relationship. In between LF messing with her head and what Ramsay did to her, I can't imagine any character less likely to embark on a whirlwind romance in S8.

We know that D&D decided way back in S2 to swap in Sansa for Jeyne Poole in the S5 Winterfell storyline. Such a big change would be a bold move...unless they already knew that Sansa was going to end up alone as the Lady of Winterfell. We know that D&D got their big endgame info dump from GRRM in April 2013, but it's possible that they already had some inkling from GRRM as to where Sansa would end up. If they already knew she would end up as the single LOW, that might explain why they had no problem marrying her off to Ramsay to be raped and brutalized. Such trauma would make her balk at marriage and romance, but that would work out well for D&D if they knew back in Season 2 that ending up alone was always in the cards for her.

2 minutes ago, Newstar said:

If all that matters is that Sansa bears children to continue the Stark line, it hardly matters whom she marries. It's like Captain America and Peggy Carter; the identity of her husband didn't matter, because all that mattered was that it wasn't Steve. True Blood did something similar with Sookie's endgame husband.

I agree. I think the only reason to even go the paired up route is to communicate that House Stark continues. Random Northern Lord serves that purpose just fine.

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

I agree. I think the only reason to even go the paired up route is to communicate that House Stark continues. Random Northern Lord serves that purpose just fine.

Random Northern Lord actually serves other purposes, too. A political marriage that she chose and negotiated means that being in charge of her destiny as Lady of Winterfell is more important to her than being in charge of her destiny as pretty princess Sansa. It echoes the Hornwood case, but with her playing Bran rather than Donella (and also succeeding where Bran failed). It contrasts with Tywin demanding that everyone in the family but himself sacrifice for the family line. And so on.

7 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Did he say he would appear in the books or the show?

The books:

We will meet Howland Reed, but not in the next book... he(Howland) knows just to much about the central mystery of the book...

SSM 1261, Sentry Box Books Signing (Calgary, Canada), November 16, 2000

Question 3: It had been stated that Howland Reed would come out in The Winds of Winter, which is the 5th book. Will he still come in the 5th book (A Dance with Dragon)?

Answer: He will appear eventually.

SSM 1270, Tidbits from the Con (Worldcon, Philadelphia, PA), September 01, 2001

7 hours ago, jcmontea said:

do we even know if he is alive in the show?

Howland Reed is presumably still alive in the show, since there is no reason to believe he has died, but I highly doubt he will make an appearance in Season 8, given that the writers had Bran say, "No one knows. No one but me." regarding Jon's parentage, as well as the Preliminary Outline indicating we won't see Meera again after she left to be with her family. Just another consequence of the streamlined race to the finish, I guess.

5 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

The books:

Howland Reed is presumably still alive in the show, since there is no reason to believe he has died, but I highly doubt he will make an appearance in Season 8, given that the writers had Bran say, "No one knows. No one but me." regarding Jon's parentage, as well as the Preliminary Outline indicating we won't see Meera again after she left to be with her family. Just another consequence of the streamlined race to the finish, I guess.

Thanks for that. Bran did say Jon was named Sand so he could be wrong but i agree with you. At this point if the show can have one of the existing characters take a role they will. 

7 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

The books:

Frikidctor aaid that Geore had said that Howland would appear in season eight. He said it twice in two of his videos

Archived