Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

Dornishwoman's Husband

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

That's true actually, and really f*cking grim when you think about it. :angry2:

Sansa: Sexually abused by Joffrey, raped by Ramsay.
Daenerys: Raped by Drogo.
Missandei: Most likely sexually abused at some point during her time as a slave in Astapor.
Brienne: Briefly sexually abused, was about to be raped by Locke's men before Jamie prevented it.
Cersei: Raped by Jamie.
Melisandre: Probably got sexually abused at some point when she was a slave, before becomming a priestess.
Gilly: Raped by Craster.
Meera: Briefly sexually abused, was about to be raped by Karl Tanner and the rest of his men before they got interrupted.
Yara: Status unknown. May or may not currently be getting raped by Euron.

This leaves Arya (and Lyanna Mormont but she doesn't really count) as the only big character currently being alive who has not been sexually abused.

As I said, grim...

dany was also sexually harrased by the dothraki in season 6 

cersei was also raped by robert and sexually harrased during the walk of shame

13 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I am not going to lie. I think that would be a very satisfying moment for most people who watch the show. Literally 8 years building towards that. 

Me, too. Give Dany her fucking crown!

Could you imagine if [D&D] actually did subtle? 

You know, I'm so used to D&D's obvious writing at this point that I would be alarmed and unsettled by anything resembling subtle writing. Even their best-written scenes in recent years--Davos confronting Melisandre over Shireen's death, for example--are about as subtle as a brick to the head. I mean, it is what it is, and frankly there aren't that many TV shows with exquisitely nuanced, layered writing even in this age of Peak TV, but I think a bit of subtle writing here and there could have enhanced the show immeasurably.

2 minutes ago, larastone said:

Good point.

5 hours ago, jcmontea said:

He never really appears in the books either, at least that I can remember. 

I think wanting to see him is more a function of hearing a character spoken about and wanting to just see him play a role in the story.

GRRM has explicitly said that Howland Reed will appear in one of the last two books. Back then, the last two books were due out in 2 and 4 years respectively; it's now more than a decade later, and neither of them is done yet. And if that didn't build up the anticipation enough, he's hinted at least twice that the reason Howland hasn't appeared yet is that he'd probably give away too much. Which is tantalizing on its own—and then you start thinking that "give away too much" probably just means R+L=J, which means GRRM is making us wait on the really juicy and fun background information just to avoid spoiling something else that we already know, which makes it even harder to wait. GRRM is such an evil bastard; why can't he just make his books boring so w don't care? :)

3 hours ago, Faera said:

Aha! Yes, the show will end with all the survivors going to Sansa's wedding to Random Northern #7.

Random Northern #7? I thought you were behind Random Northern #39! Have you changed teams? San39 all the way, screw San!

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

He does have the information. Isn't that part of being the Three-Eyed Raven?

Having all the information isn't the same as having access to all the information. He explains that on-screen, and D&D and IHW explain it in more detail in interviews. He can look at anything, but he has to know where and when to look, and he doesn't know that any better than anyone else. He's like a guy with the best library in the world, but only a few rushed weeks of training in library research.

Anyway, the Bible and other religious texts are full of the same thing, starting with God stomping around Eden calling out "Where are you?" because he doesn't know where Adam is, or why he's hiding, or what Adam and Eve have been up to while he was walking around some other part of the garden. God is supposed to be omniscient and it's ok for him; Bran is explicitly not omniscient except in potentia, so what's the problem?

48 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Could you imagine if they actually did subtle? 

Like, no. I really can't even imagine it and I like to think I have a good imagination. :huh:

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

That's true actually, and really f*cking grim when you think about it. :angry2:

Sansa: Sexually abused by Joffrey, raped by Ramsay.
Daenerys: Raped by Drogo.
Missandei: Most likely sexually abused at some point during her time as a slave in Astapor.
Brienne: Briefly sexually abused, was about to be raped by Locke's men before Jamie prevented it.
Cersei: Raped by Jamie.
Melisandre: Probably got sexually abused at some point when she was a slave, before becomming a priestess.
Gilly: Raped by Craster.
Meera: Briefly sexually abused, was about to be raped by Karl Tanner and the rest of his men before they got interrupted.
Yara: Status unknown. May or may not currently be getting raped by Euron.

This leaves Arya (and Lyanna Mormont but she doesn't really count) as the only big character currently being alive who has not been sexually abused.

As I said, grim...

38 minutes ago, larastone said:

...Wow, you're right.

Pretty much all of our female characters have been victims of sexual abuse, attempted rape or completed rape. Plus, if we add sexual harassment then the list piles up. I would say they should start a support group but the realisation of all of this has made me feel quite cold inside.

5 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Random Northern #7? I thought you were behind Random Northern #39! Have you changed teams? San39 all the way, screw San!

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

:laugh:

6 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Having all the information isn't the same as having access to all the information. He explains that on-screen, and D&D and IHW explain it in more detail in interviews.

The reason why this bugs me so much is that Bran implies that he can "remember" so much. If it was just a case of him needing to go looking for the information, like going through a filing cabinet, then why is he the way he is now i.e. so stilted and devoid of personality. It can't just be 3ER memories because "Bloodraven" seemed perfectly fine. It doesn't make the best sense to me. Then again, nothing about his sudden switch from being just-a-bit-wobbly-but-still-fine at the end of S6 and a literal robot in S7. I guess that weirdwood in the cursed forest must be some bad tree.

48 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Me, too. Give Dany her fucking crown!

This lol! Even if Dany must die, please give Dany a proper coronation.  I cannot imagine D&D missing out on that!  

I do also wonder how much information Clapton was privy to when she gave those interviews.  I believe Alan Taylor said he knew the basic gist of the episode he was going to shoot before any of it had even been written down (and the prelim scripts are from April 2016), so I'd imagine Clapton would have S8 info at the time of these interviews.  Besides, she had no problem spoiling that Jon would meet Daenerys and Cersei before 7x01 even aired lol

3 minutes ago, TheSlayerofLies said:

This lol! Even if Dany must die, please give Dany a proper coronation.  I cannot imagine D&D missing out on that!  

I do also wonder how much information Clapton was privy to when she gave those interviews.  I believe Alan Taylor said he knew the basic gist of the episode he was going to shoot before any of it had even been written down (and the prelim scripts are from April 2016), so I'd imagine Clapton would have S8 info at the time of these interviews.  Besides, she had no problem spoiling that Jon would meet Daenerys and Cersei before 7x01 even aired lol

They can't miss out on it. Dany and Jon coronation is a legit series finale level event. When they were asked if the ending was satisfactory three years ago they were super adamant that it was. Given the popularity of those two characters, not sure what else would inspire that level of confidence that the conclusion is satisfactory. 

13 minutes ago, Faera said:

The reason why this bugs me so much is that Bran implies that he can "remember" so much. If it was just a case of him needing to go looking for the information, like going through a filing cabinet, then why is he the way he is now i.e. so stilted and devoid of personality. It can't just be 3ER memories because "Bloodraven" seemed perfectly fine. It doesn't make the best sense to me. Then again, nothing about his sudden switch from being just-a-bit-wobbly-but-still-fine at the end of S6 and a literal robot in S7. I guess that weirdwood in the cursed forest must be some bad tree.

I noticed a change in him after he woke up in 6x06. he was super weird and calm when he woke up. i think it makes sense that he is the way he is. you are you because you have your memories. if you also had the memories of every other person that lived inside of you not sure you would really be you any more. 

29 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I noticed a change in him after he woke up in 6x06. he was super weird and calm when he woke up. i think it makes sense that he is the way he is. you are you because you have your memories. if you also had the memories of every other person that lived inside of you not sure you would really be you any more. 

Yes, I agree. He was weird when he woke up after that massive download before Uncle Coldhands thundered in with his incense burner. Buuuuuuut, then Bran had a sleep, woke up later in that very same episode and was pretty much Bran again. He expressed concern that he wouldn't be able to control the 3ER powers, has a genuine gasp in his voice when saw Benjen and was still on good terms with Meera. I even thought it was interesting at the time, this idea that part of Bran's next arch would be to actually learn to control his powers and make them his: rule them rather than have them rule him...

Now, had they done it that way in S7 as they sort of did in S6 - having him flipped back and forth throughout the season between normal and warped, creepy-3ER, like a personality struggle, or shown Bran trying to reassert himself with all this new stuff in his head, then maybe it'd have made more sense and it wouldn't bug me. But they didn't do it that way -- he went from fine at the end of S6 to fullblown creepy, monotone and characterless at all times. Now, had he been playing up the creepy for a purpose, again, maybe it wouldn't be been so bad but... nope. He's just like that all the time now.

Thus, I find the random switch incredibly distracting. <_<

They messed it up with Bran, making him change JUST when S7 began, because if he had been normal he'd have exposed LF in episode 1, and that would have meant no "prom Queen Games" in Winterfell.

The writing was so so bad...

10 minutes ago, Faera said:

Yes, I agree. He was weird when he woke up after that massive download before Uncle Coldhands thundered in with his incense burner. Buuuuuuut, then Bran had a sleep, woke up later in that very same episode and was pretty much Bran again. He expressed concern that he wouldn't be able to control the 3ER powers, has a genuine gasp in his voice when saw Benjen and was still on good terms with Meera. I even thought it was interesting at the time, this idea that part of Bran's next arch would be to actually learn to control his powers and make them his: rule them rather than have them rule him...

Now, had they done it that way in S7 as they sort of did in S6 - having him flipped back and forth throughout the season between normal and warped, creepy-3ER, like a personality struggle, or shown Bran trying to reassert himself with all this new stuff in his head, then maybe it'd have made more sense and it wouldn't bug me. But they didn't do it that way -- he went from fine at the end of S6 to fullblown creepy, monotone and characterless at all times. Now, had he been playing up the creepy for a purpose, again, maybe it wouldn't be been so bad but... nope. He's just like that all the time now.

Thus, I find the random switch incredibly distracting. <_<

Interesting. I actually interpreted the scene completley differently. I saw that and thought this guy is is seeing his uncle who he hasn’t seen in years and thought was dead and is so non reactive 

1 minute ago, jcmontea said:

Interesting. I actually interpreted the scene completley differently. I saw that and thought this guy is is seeing his uncle who he hasn’t seen in years and thought was dead and is so non reactive 

Same with Jon in the wight hunt, he barely says anything. But why? Benjen was just a plot device, being killed by a group of wights which he knew he'd no kill bc the horse was too tiny for both of them. Reminded of Jack in Titanic. So badly written as well.

3 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Same with Jon in the wight hunt, he barely says anything. But why? Benjen was just a plot device, being killed by a group of wights which he knew he'd no kill bc the horse was too tiny for both of them. Reminded of Jack in Titanic. So badly written as well.

Jon was near death. Bran was not

3 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I really didn't see anything all that changed about him outside of that opening scene when he wakes up after they escape the cave, which makes sense. I'd feel out of it too if I'd had literal hallucinations for hours on end. But I definitely didn't think his reaction to Benjen was non-reactive, just shocked, (and kinda like poor Jon before he plopped him on that horse and died for no reason.) Then, his last few scenes in the season 6 finale, again, he was far too emotive when talking to Meera for it to square with S7 for me. 

1 minute ago, Faera said:

I really didn't see anything all that changed about him outside of that opening scene when he wakes up after they escape the cave, which makes sense. I'd feel out of it too if I'd had literal hallucinations for hours on end. But I definitely didn't think his reaction to Benjen was non-reactive, just shocked, (and kinda like poor Jon before he plopped him on that horse and died for no reason.) Then, his last few scenes in the season 6 finale, again, he was far too emotive when talking to Meera for it to square with S7 for me. 

yes, he was emotive with Meera

11 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He was just saved by Benjen just after Hodor had died

He'd also only just come around to lucidity after his Weirwood binge, and he and Meera were very nearly killed by a load of wights. Even so, I still stand by that his reaction didn't strike me as all that out of the ordinary.

11 minutes ago, Faera said:

Interesting. Well I thought there was something weird about him last year. But if only one of us saw it than the show failed to appropriatley make it clear enough. 

10 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Interesting. Well I thought there was something weird about him last year. But if only one of us saw it than the show failed to appropriatley make it clear enough. 

Oh, they definitely failed. You are pretty much the first person I have found to even suggest it was consistent. 

But what else is new? Sometimes it feels there are more failures than successes in the writing these days. -_-

15 minutes ago, Faera said:

He'd also only just come around to lucidity after his Weirwood binge, and he and Meera were very nearly killed by a load of wights. Even so, I still stand by that his reaction didn't strike me as all that out of the ordinary.

yeah, I think he behaved normally in season 6 after he became 3ER.

Archived