Dornishwoman's Husband

Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

492 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I'm going to transcribe what he actually says for the sake of clarity:

Interviewer: Do you know--speaking of chaotic--do you know the endgame, do you know sort of what happens after the books end? Have you been let in on where things are going?

Dinklage: Yeah. A little bit, yeah. I'd have to kill you. [Banter over killing interviewer] Yeah, I mean, they've sort of hinted at things. I sort of don't want to know, but I've heard rumours from the people who know, you know, usually over a couple glasses of wine. You gotta loosen up their tongues a little bit.

It sounds like he knows something, but it's all very vague.

Alex Graves bragged that he told some actors about their characters' future plotlines and in some instances endgames when he was filming S4 in 2013, so Graves may very well have filled Peter Dinklage in back in 2013. We don't know which actors he told what, though.

I take the 7x07 insiders videos hinting at conflict and bad things in store for Jon/Dany in the same vein as we can now take the 6x10 videos hinting at conflict and bad things in store for Jon and Sansa: with a big pile of salt. Jon and Sansa squabbled, but there was never any real suspense that she would go against him. I'm sure Jon and Dany will have to deal with drama in S8, in between the aunt thing, the rightful heir thing, and the Dany burning the Tarlys thing, but will it amount to much? Probably not.

Edited by Newstar

4 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I'm going to transcribe what he actually says for the sake of clarity:

Interviewer: Do you know--speaking of chaotic--do you know the endgame, do you know sort of what happens after the books end? Have you been let in on where things are going?

Dinklage: Yeah. A little bit, yeah. I'd have to kill you. [Banter over killing interviewer] Yeah, I mean, they've sort of hinted at things. I sort of don't want to know, but I've heard rumours from the people who know, you know, usually over a couple glasses of wine. You gotta loosen up their tongues a little bit.

It sounds like he knows something, but it's all very vague.

I take the 7x07 insiders videos hinting at conflict and bad things in store for Jon/Dany in the same vein as we can now take the 6x10 videos hinting at conflict and bad things in store for Jon and Sansa: with a big pile of salt. Jon and Sansa squabbled, but there was never any real suspense that she would go against him. I'm sure Jon and Dany will have to deal with drama in S8, in between the aunt thing, the rightful heir thing, and the Dany burning the Tarlys thing, but will it amount to much? Probably not.

Yup. Lets also not forget Theon’s ability to ruin things.

What did you ask him about in return?
You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html

Just now, jcmontea said:

Yup. Lets also not forget Theon’s ability to ruin things.

What did you ask him about in return?
You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html

Does this quote relate to Jonerys, though? The first part seems to be referencing the similarities between Jon and Luke, but the bit about proper succession and incest seems like a non sequitur. I guess Alfie Allen smoked a lot of weed that day or something.

9 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Does this quote relate to Jonerys, though? The first part seems to be referencing the similarities between Jon and Luke, but the bit about proper succession and incest seems like a non sequitur. I guess Alfie Allen smoked a lot of weed that day or something.

Its either a non sequitor or it relates to Jonerys, or Jonsa or what ever other toned down incest marriage we get to ensure proper succession. 

Wow, this escalated quickly.

Anyways...

1 hour ago, Newstar said:

I don't enjoy Tormund creeping on Brienne, though, so I guess if Jaime could shut that shit down, it would be a welcome relief.

I'm happy to see someone else who is pointing out that Tormund is creeping on Brienne. His attentions are clearly not welcome by her and it stopped being "quirky and cute", like, with the awkward dinner scene back in S6. Their focusing on it almost feels like pandering now.

That said, if there is an altercation between Jaime and Tormund, it'll probably be to bring some comic relief or something.

2 hours ago, valgrel said:

Jonerys, Sansan, JB : way to much for a bittersweet ending, either you like the ships or not. So multi shippers be ready to be greatly disapointed at the end of season 8. I'm not even sure that one of these 3 will have it's happy ending.

Expecting anything much in the way of ships sailing into the sunset in the show doesn't feel likely. I have said before that much of the popular ships feel like they are doomed for at least one of the pair dying. If this were the books, maybe. You can have the survivors pair off and still have it feel bittersweet, especially when you have two tomes of 15,000+ pages still to go. In the show, it would be hard to sell any of the popular ships without it feeling like too many characters survived because the cast is much smaller and the plot might tighter now... if that makes sense. :huh:

But yeeeeeeeeaaaaah, I agree that - at best - SamAndGilly will make it to the end, and maybe, just maybe, Jon and Daenerys will. But I kinda hope not for pathos sake more than anything.

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Way to twist his words there.

1) Dinklage doesn't know the ending. The interview you're referring to was made post/during S7, way before they got the scripts for any S8 episodes.

2) He didn't hint that it wouldn't end well, he simply stated that their romance should feel good but it doesn't due to circumstances (and he's right, it's a bad time to get romantically involved right now) and that romance has a long history of not ending well in Game of Thrones (right again).
Stating known facts is not foreshadowing anything.

I saw an i terview where he implies jnowig he ending. That is from some seasons ago when the shoe was not as popular.

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yes it waa this one. It is from i started watching thrones. So peter knows and Liam also knows a secrrt and Alfie knew the "a bit likeca luke skywalker" situation (jon being a targ but  could also bre jon and dany beibg twins, not liklely).

1 hour ago, Faera said:

Anyways...

I'm happy to see someone else who is pointing out that Tormund is creeping on Brienne. His attentions are clearly not welcome by her and it stopped being "quirky and cute", like, with the awkward dinner scene back in S6. Their focusing on it almost feels like pandering now.

I'll cop to thinking it was funny at first, but him foisting his attentions on her despite her obvious lack of interest is not cute. D&D, however, predictably responded to the positive fan reaction to Tormund's crush on Brienne as they usually do: by cranking it to 11 and banging the audience over the heads with it. At least Tormund hitting on Sandor shows that he's an equal-opportunity harasser (and Tormund's comment at Hardhome that Jon is "prettier than both my daughters" takes on an interesting meaning in light of the hints in 7x06 that Tormund is bi).

Expecting anything much in the way of ships sailing into the sunset in the show doesn't feel likely. I have said before that much of the popular ships feel like they are doomed for at least one of the pair dying. If this were the books, maybe. You can have the survivors pair off and still have it feel bittersweet, especially when you have two tomes of 15,000+ pages still to go. In the show, it would be hard to sell any of the popular ships without it feeling like too many characters survived because the cast is much smaller and the plot might tighter now... if that makes sense. :huh:

No, it makes a lot of sense. Rereading the books, though, it's clear how few happy, healthy relationships there are. There are romances, sure, but they're usually dysfunctional at best, abusive at worst, and almost entirely all doomed to a horrible, untimely end. It's really not the sort of series where one should expect everyone to pair off and live happily ever after.

But yeeeeeeeeaaaaah, I agree that - at best - SamAndGilly will make it to the end, and maybe, just maybe, Jon and Daenerys will. But I kinda hope not for pathos sake more than anything.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Sam and Gilly's relationship is the only one on the show--romantic or otherwise--that feels remotely realistic or like real people having a real relationship. (A possible runner-up is Beric and Thoros, who seem like they might actually be friends.) The other relationships on the show, as entertaining as they might be, are of the kind that don't really exist outside fiction. Jaime/Brienne is a good example. It's great fun, but that's not how real people interact with each other. It's a specific idea of a relationship rather than a relatable living, breathing dynamic. 

I will say that for all that GRRM is praised for his characterization, I think that a lot of the ASOIAF characters are more ideas of characters--even straight-up cliches or tropes in some cases--than characters who think and act and relate to each other the way that real people do. And it's hardly surprising that given how many characters there are, and given how GRRM is openly playing with genre tropes, that you get some pretty abstract, unrealistic characters in the mix. Sometimes this flat or tropey quality to the characterization works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it doesn't matter all that much, but I feel that that aspect of the books has an impact on how the relationships come across. If you have two characters who are written more like ideas or thought experiments than like real people, then of course their interactions won't ring true as realistic and character-driven and will feel like boiled-over romcom nonsense or like rehashed romance novel cliches.

Of course, the plot-focused, shallow writing in the show compounds the problem, but I don't think all the blame for shitty romance and poor relationship development can be laid at D&D's feet. You take two cartoons and smash their faces together, you still have two cartoons.

Edited by Newstar

10 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes it waa this one. It is from i started watching thrones. So peter knows and Liam also knows a secrrt and Alfie knew the "a bit likeca luke skywalker" situation (jon being a targ but  could also bre jon and dany beibg twins, not liklely).

Hiding out with his uncle, too. Luke doesn't get the girl, the rogue does (Han Solo). Anyway yeah Peter knows.

32 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I saw an i terview where he implies jnowig he ending. That is from some seasons ago when the shoe was not as popular.

I posted the transcript from that interview upthread, but here it is again (from May 2014):

Dinklage: Yeah. A little bit, yeah. I'd have to kill you. [Banter over killing interviewer] Yeah, I mean, they've sort of hinted at things. I sort of don't want to know, but I've heard rumours from the people who know, you know, usually over a couple glasses of wine. You gotta loosen up their tongues a little bit.

He implies he knows something, but as I said before, it's very vague.

18 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Hiding out with his uncle, too. Luke doesn't get the girl, the rogue does (Han Solo). Anyway yeah Peter knows.

Luckily, because "the girl" is his twin sister. I can look past aunt/nephew in a fictional romance, but siblings (and parents/children) is where I draw the line, even if they don't know they're related. As far as Star Wars-parallels go, GoT is well past that point now. Luke and Leia kissed once or twice; Leia didn't end up pregnant because she never had sex with Luke on a space ship in the first place. :P

Either way, Dinklage still didn't hint or foreshadow that their (Jon and Dany's) romance would end in tragedy, he simply stated that now is a bad time for romance (which it is) and that romances in Game of Thrones tend to not end well (which they don't.) No arguing there because he's absolutely right.
As also pointed out by Newstar, the info about what Dinklage actually knows and was told seems very vague. I very much doubt that Dinklage got specific info regarding several main characters ultimate fate. Hints and teases? Sure. D&D spilling the beans outright though? Possible but unlikely. They don't want to spoil the show, and the more actors who know, the bigger the chance of leaks.

Edited by MinscS2

7 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

The show did most certainly not deal with her traumas in season 5 as she was still being abused in season 5.
Her being strong enough to face LF and Ramsay does not mean that she has processed everything that has happened and moved on, it just means that she's strong enough to not reduce herself to a victim sobbing in the corner.

As for the show inventing the Sansa storyline in S5, that's highly irrelevant here. The show is the show and what happens in the show is canon for the show, even if you don't like it or agree with it or consider the books superior.

How can you even say that Sansa healed two seasons ago? Best case scenario is that she finally managed to heal and move on in S7, but even that it unlikely. I actually know a victim of sexual abuse and despite being one of the strongest women I know, she still hasn't fully moved on 25 years later. Sansa went trough much much worse, and I'm willing to concede that the show has portrayed her as actually processing her abuse, but she has not moved on. What she endured is not something you can simply walk off in a couple of months. That statement in itself is a huge disservice to men and women everywhere who has been sexually abused, as you basically reduce their trauma to "Bah, snap out of it!"

There's no time to deal with Sansa's traumas, she killed her abusers and they included some references about her rape, that's more than a lot of other female characters get, don't expect more from D&D.