Any examples of undying loyalty in the books?

FylkirKarl

A trait that I enjoy in books and movies is when a character is very loyal to another character or faction that doesn't border on the level of zealousness or brainwashing, and I'm trying to find some examples of undying loyalty in the ASOIAF books. The love that the mountain clans hold for House Stark is a good example of what I'm looking for as they're marching in the middle of winter with the forces of Stannis for "Ned's little girl" out of love for Ned. Davos's loyalty to Stannis is also great with him still faithfully serving Stannis despite Dale, Allard, Matthos, and Maric, his four eldest sons dying, and even more so when his two youngest are named Stannis and Steffon, after Stannis himself and the father of Stannis. Another one is Courtnay Penrose staying loyal to Renly after his death and refusing to give up Storm's End to Stannis, although this may be more to protect Edric Storm rather that to Renly. Any others?

Howland Reed who has kept Ned's secrets and sent his two children into danger because Bran had a destiny to fulfill.

House Darry's loyalty to House Targaryen. Even though the Targs had been no where near the throne for fourteen years at the start of the story, Raymun Darry kept the portraits of the Targaryen kings up. 

Yohn Royce seems to have some degree of loyalty towards Ned and House Stark that he was pissed that Lysa didn't send Robb any kind of help. 

The original Brotherhood without Banners and the people that were on its fringes.

The Blackfish who is the living embodiment of his House words.

Cletus Yronwood towards Quentyn Martell. I mean yeah, we didn't know Cletus Yronwood, but he did put himself out there for Quentyn and died for it.

Illyrio when he talks about debts of affection. That stinks of promises made somewhere along the road. 

Septa Lemore, Duck, Ysilla and Yandry, Griff, Haldon's loyalty for the Aegon who is likely not an Aegon.

Ser Rodrik. The anguish when he is forced to choose between the life of his daughter and his duty to the Starks is palpable, and yet he still tells Theon that he cannot forsake his duty, even if it means his daughter's death.

Ironically, he did what Ned could not do. Ned gave up his honor in the end, to save Sansa. Rodrik did not.

Meera and Jojen Reed, following Bran acrossing a winter-y hellscape and risking life and limb when they could plausibly have returned home after Winterfell burned. I'll include Hodor here too, though it would be debateable how much choice he has in this journey

Osha. Osha's loyalty towards Bran and Rickon is beautiful. 

ETA: I can add Mikken and Farlen in that too. Super minor characters who were Stark men to the end. Jory. The Cassels were loyal AF. Martyn died in Dorne, Jory in KL trying to protect Ned and Rodrik outside the gates of Winterfell. Cley Cerwyn. Wex towards Theon.

Hodor.

Wyman Manderly, who's going to great length's to juggle keeping his house alive while trying to restore the Stark's to Winterfell.

Tytos Blackwood, who was the last Riverlord to hold out against the Lannister's.

Pretty much all the other main ones have been said already but I'd like to reiterate the Northern Clans and the Cassel's again. And Lyanna Mormont.

17 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Hodor.

Wyman Manderly, who's going to great length's to juggle keeping his house alive while trying to restore the Stark's to Winterfell.

Tytos Blackwood, who was the last Riverlord to hold out against the Lannister's.

Pretty much all the other main ones have been said already but I'd like to reiterate the Northern Clans and the Cassel's again. And Lyanna Mormont.

Tytos Blackwood only held out because house Bracken were leading the seige and lord Blackwood would rather die then yield his family home to his biggest enemy and rival. 

19 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Tytos Blackwood only held out because house Bracken were leading the seige and lord Blackwood would rather die then yield his family home to his biggest enemy and rival. 

He held out as long as he did because Bracken was leading the siege but he initially refused to bend the knee only out of loyalty to Robb, something that only he, Blackfish and Mallister can claim.

I think Jaime was truly loyal to his vows as a Kingsguard and that's what drove him to kill Aerys. It would have been easy to be complacent and take political sides but by forsaking his honor to do the right thing he's the real hero of that day; not Tywin Lannister and his unfettered brutality or Ned Stark and his wielding of honor like a hammer.

Arthur Dayne, who's already been mentioned. 

Aegor Bittsersteel was dedicated to the Blackfyre cause till the very end. I'd love to see/read more about him.

Aemon Targaryen, the dragon knight, was another person who truly embodied knightly virtues. To die for a king that despised you for being all that he is not takes true dedication.

2 hours ago, Фейсал said:

I think Jaime was truly loyal to his vows as a Kingsguard and that's what drove him to kill Aerys. It would have been easy to be complacent and take political sides but by forsaking his honor to do the right thing he's the real hero of that day; not Tywin Lannister and his unfettered brutality or Ned Stark and his wielding of honor like a hammer.

Arthur Dayne, who's already been mentioned. 

Aegor Bittsersteel was dedicated to the Blackfyre cause till the very end. I'd love to see/read more about him.

Aemon Targaryen, the dragon knight, was another person who truly embodied knightly virtues. To die for a king that despised you for being all that he is not takes true dedication.

I feel like Bittersteel was an opportunist who took advantage of Daemon. He didn't display any loyalty that wasn't also advantageous for him personally. 

If he was truly loyal he would have given Daemon II his rightful sword. 

3 hours ago, ChuckPunch said:

I feel like Bittersteel was an opportunist who took advantage of Daemon. He didn't display any loyalty that wasn't also advantageous for him personally. 

If he was truly loyal he would have given Daemon II his rightful sword. 

That may be true - but I think he was loyal still, in a different way.

The blackfyre claim is built on the sword. Aegor was ultimately grooming himself for leadership - but he was still incredibly dedicated to that fight. He could have cut his loses and lived it out with the Golden Company but he didn't even as it got more and more unlikely to seat  Blackfyre on the throne.

Archived