Any examples of undying loyalty in the books?

FylkirKarl

To my reckoning more than half the people listed in this thread so far have died whilst displaying their loyalty.

Mayhaps we should change the topic to read "Unflagging Loyalty", as dying seems to come bundled with loyalty at least half the time!

Also I second the entire Reed family, and the entire Cassell family. 

Oh and Maester Aemon's loyalty to duty and the Night's Watch. 

The Bastard of Nightsong, Lewys the Fishwife, Triston of Tally Hill, Omer Blackberry, Maester Pylos and Andrew Estermont sticking their necks out to save Edric Storm from Melisandre's fires. I don't know if it's loyalty, or something else. Andrew Estermont was the only one of the group who was related to Edric.

Olyvar Frey was very loyal to Robb even after he married Jeyne Westerling.

23 hours ago, Aegon1FanBoy said:

arthur dayne, Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower. There knee do not bend easily even told ned that if they were in KL Jamie would be dead and aerys would still be in charge. My word man badass and loyal to the end

Those knights were loyal to Aerys all the way to the bitter end.  I have a theory that they were originally sent to look for Rhaegar, and take Lyanna back to KL so she can be used as a hostage against the rebels.  They arrived too late.  Rhaegar was already dead and KL had been sacked.  No need to forcefully carry Lyanna from the tower anymore. 

On 9/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, Widow's Watch said:

House Darry's loyalty to House Targaryen. Even though the Targs had been no where near the throne for fourteen years at the start of the story, Raymun Darry kept the portraits of the Targaryen kings up. 

Don't forget WIllam Darry, the knight who kept Prince Viserys and Princess Daenerys safe in Braavos.  He kept the faith and even worked out an alliance to put King Viserys III back on the throne. 

On 9/16/2017 at 9:12 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:
  1. Ser Willem Darry.  Loyalty to the Targaryens.  He took Prince Viserys and the young Princess Daenerys to the safety of Braavos.
  2. Ser Jorah Mormont.  
  3. Greyworm and The Unsullied.
  4. Drogon.  Loyal to Daenerys.

Yes to all.  I would add Dany's Bloodriders and her handmaidens to this list. 

How about this passage from the very last chapter of A Game of Thrones:

"and Dany only had to look in their eyes to know that they were hers now, today and tomorrow and forever, as they had never been Drogo's"

Add Dany's Khalasar to the list. 

Addam Velaryon: 

During the Dance of the Dragons, he was falsely accused of being a traitor, because of the other dragonriders who had betrayed Rhaenyra Targaryen. But even after he got accused of being a turncloak, Addam remained loyal. He gathered an army to fight for Rhaenyra in order to prove his loyalty and won a big battle. After his death, Addam's brother put on his tomb the words: LOYAL.

• 1 month later...

The non nobility southron army marching with Stannis in the North. They have been in the brink of their known world (I am thinking about the regular, foot soldier) fighting pretty much their own sandmen (wildlings, giants) and they keep going, following a King who isn't even charismatic, in a cold distant region. 

On 2017-09-17 at 9:34 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Ser Rodrik. The anguish when he is forced to choose between the life of his daughter and his duty to the Starks is palpable, and yet he still tells Theon that he cannot forsake his duty, even if it means his daughter's death.

Ironically, he did what Ned could not do. Ned gave up his honor in the end, to save Sansa. Rodrik did not.

How could everyone just ignore Rodrik anyway. His son went with Ned to TOJ and perished there. His grandson killed by Jaime in KL. Beth is his only descendant left in this world, and he was forced to either give up on her or the Stark he was sworn to serve (noted that Bran and Rickon were presumed dead).

Other people can give up their life and behold their honor, but the old Rodrik have to give up his daughter or betray his liege lord he and his house is sworn to serve. That's tougher than anyone in the series.

I completely agree about Rodrik Cassel. There are actually quite a few moments of unwavering loyalty in quite a few characters.

Brienne is one of the first non-Northern that came to mind as at the end of AFFC, she was caught between her two oaths: the one she made to Catelyn (and spent the whole book trying to live up to) and the promise she made to Jaime to find Sansa.

There is no denying that Daenerys's khalasar are incredibly loyal to her because they have followed her over the Red Waste, poisoned water and all about. There are others who have pledged loyalty to her for freeing them from slavery... and Barristan Selmy genuinely seems to have sworn himself to her. Prior to her, he showed remarkable loyalty to his oaths as a Kingsguard.

Wyman Manderly and the rest of his family really do seem to have a deep loyalty to the Starks based on their family history and their close relationship throughout history. All his scheming has been not just for revenge for the Red Wedding (though that is a large part of it) but a current loyalty he feels to the remaining members of the Stark brood (He wants to restore Winterfell to Rickon, and he likely knows Bran is alive too).

The Mountain Clans make me smile too. Their desire to rescue "Ned's girl" and the fact they still feel loyal to "The Ned" is almost sweet.

Meera and Jojen Reed are very loyal to Bran and make it seem effortless, too. They gave him much-needed friendship at a time when he was feeling particularly isolated and then provided him with differing yet good counsel when it was needed while ultimately allowing him to make the final call. I would also say that Bran returns this loyalty in kind, using his powers to keep them safe. Throw in Summer and poor ol' Hodor (Being skin-changed from time to time aside, he still stays despite being a bit of a scardey cat by nature) and you have arguably one of the most loyal and tight-knit groups in the books.

You can add their good ol' dad Howland to the list too. It seems he was known for being one of Ned's staunchest companions during the Rebellion and, as others have said before, he is the gatekeeper of both the North and Ned Stark's secrets. Moreover, based on his son's dream about a chained Winged Wolf alone, he sent his only children to Winterfell to pledge themselves despite the fact that neither of them had ever left the Neck before all because he suspected a Stark needed their help.

• 1 month later...

Archived