NFL 2017 Week 3: Now Panic Begins!

Rhom

8 minutes ago, Week said:

I should clarify -- I was overly harsh in tone, but my point stands. It's a problematic way of describing what is thought of as the issue (i.e. helmets). 

Ok Rhom, whatever you say. It hit me as an inappropriate way of talking about it. You disagree. Wonderful -- clearly I'm the racist. Re-posting the entire post is irrelevant. Some real fucking white fragility.

I reposted the entire post to show that at no point did Sperry mention race and it wasn't selectively left out.  

He gave a specific example of a player who's public profile is out of proportion to his performance on the field.  You then blasted him for the equivalent of "all black people look alike."  In my opinion, we get past race when we can talk about issues like this without needing to say "Kahlil Mack, a black player..."  In Sperry's post he gave an example that did not require race.  You were the one who made it an issue.  Call it white fragility, or maybe just call it you making an issue where none existed.  :dunno: 

I think @Maithanet makes a valid point about corporate sponsorship.  My original post plays into that as well however, the NFL does not push individual players forward for sponsorships the way the NFL actively promotes.

3 hours ago, Week said:

Why are you singling out black players? Plenty of other people don't have this problem. Sounds like a you problem.

Every game starts with showing the starting lineup and all the players headshots (or goofy intros if primetime) -- I can certainly pick out Von Miller, Zeke Elliot, Aaron Donald, Michael Bennett, OBJ, Julio, etc. -- that's not including Patriots who I would typically recognize if they've been around for more than a year. If you can't be bothered to pay attention -- that's on you bud. No wonder the players think they are treated like chattel. 

What in the fuck are you talking about?  I didn't single out black players. I mentioned Kahlil Mack because he is a star player that I have no clue what he looks like because every time I see him he's wearing a helmet. I used the caveat of 5 similarly built black guys, because if you put him in a lineup with 5 white guys I bet I could pick him out. Why don't you apply a bit of critical thinking for one second before you spout off?

24 minutes ago, Week said:

I should clarify -- I was overly harsh in tone, but my point stands. It's a problematic way of describing what is thought of as the issue (i.e. helmets). 

Ok Rhom, whatever you say. It hit me as an inappropriate way of talking about it. You disagree. Wonderful -- clearly I'm the racist. Re-posting the entire post is irrelevant. Some real fucking white fragility.

This has absolutely nothing to do with them being black. I could recognize the top 50 players in the NBA by seeing a picture of their face. At least 40 of those guys would be black. I can do that because every time I watch the game I see their face repeatedly. When they make a good play, the camera is going to zoom in on their face.  In the NFL, by contrast, it is literally a 15 yard penalty to remove your helmet on the field.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He gave a specific example of a player who's public profile is out of proportion to his performance on the field.  You then blasted him for the equivalent of "all black people look alike."  In my opinion, we get past race when we can talk about issues like this without needing to say "Kahlil Mack, a black player..."  In Sperry's post he gave an example that did not require race.  You were the one who made it an issue.  Call it white fragility, or maybe just call it you making an issue where none existed.  :dunno: 

Blasted - ok, fine, I said it was overly harsh. That said -- maybe consider that he chose Khalil Mack as his example and not, say, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Luke Keuchly, etc. Self-criticality is not a bad thing to check yourself. Your argument that I was the first to mention race is laughable - but I'm done discussing with you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or sperry's. Hope you'll be ok.

eta - and Rhom thinks my panties are in a bunch. Thou doth protest too much.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with them being black. I could recognize the top 50 players in the NBA by seeing a picture of their face. At least 40 of those guys would be black. I can do that because every time I watch the game I see their face repeatedly. When they make a good play, the camera is going to zoom in on their face.  In the NFL, by contrast, it is literally a 15 yard penalty to remove your helmet on the field.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of NBA players involved in nationwide commercials are black, which makes sense as the bulk of the top forty or fifty players in the NBA are black.  Kevin Love is one of the only white guys I can think of that you see in those types of commercials, and he plays with the best player in the world and one of the top two or three players to ever lace up and play in the NBA on the league's second-best team.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Blasted - ok, fine, I said it was overly harsh. That said -- maybe consider that he chose Khalil Mack as his example and not, say, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Luke Keuchly, etc. Self-criticality is not a bad thing to check yourself. Your argument that I was the first to mention race is laughable - but I'm done discussing with you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or sperry's. Hope you'll be ok.

eta - and Rhom thinks my panties are in a bunch. Thou doth protest too much.

I think in general you're right in that people can sometimes focus on race when they shouldn't, but Sperry isn't that guy. I've seen him discuss racial issues quite intelligently before. And as for his example, I think his larger point was that we only know what the QBs look like with their helmets off, and QBs are mostly white, and that if you took a star like Von Miller and 4 similar looking and built black men and had them stand next to one another he and others would have a much harder time identifying who Von was. 

Now back to football and the declining ratings. I haven't actually seen them, but to anyone who has, is the drop in ratings across the board or mainly with the prime time games (Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night)? 

Also, just heard about this. I didn't even know there was such a thing as stage 3 CTE:

Aaron Hernandez, the former NFL star who took his life while serving a murder sentence in prison, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy -- commonly known as CTE -- attorney Jose Baez said Thursday.

Baez cited study results compiled by the Boston University CTE Center, which examined Hernandez's brain for the neurodegenerative brain disease.

Hernandez played for the New England Patriots from 2010 to 2012 after a standout collegiate career at the University of Florida.

According to a statement from BU, Hernandez's brain was examined by Dr. Ann McKee, director of the CTE Center. The neurodegenerative brain disease has Alzheimer's-like symptoms, including memory loss, confusion, aggression, rage and, at times, suicidal behavior. It is believed to result from repeated trauma to the head, which results in a buildup of the abnormal protein tau that clumps in the brain.

The disease is categorized in four degrees, with Stage 4 being the most severe. According to McKee's analysis, Hernandez was found to have Stage 3 CTE, which is commonly associated with cognitive and memory loss, as well as behavioral changes and impaired judgment. Hernandez was found to have early degeneration of brain cells and large tears in the septum pellucidum, a central membrane of the brain.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/health/aaron-hernandez-cte/index.html

Obviously this doesn't excuse what he did, but it's troubling to see how much damage can be done in a short amount of time. It's not like he was a 10 year vet.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, just heard about this. I didn't even know there was such a thing as stage 3 CTE:

Obviously this doesn't excuse what he did, but it's troubling to see how much damage can be done in a short amount of time. It's not like he was a 10 year vet.

Another wrinkle - I don't know that this would go anywhere - Aaron Hernandez's family bringing a lawsuit against the NFL and Patriots.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandez-cte-results-jose-baez/

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now back to football and the declining ratings. I haven't actually seen them, but to anyone who has, is the drop in ratings across the board or mainly with the prime time games (Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night)? 

So the one thing I saw said it was across-the-board; the drop in ratings was for all televised games, not just the crappy ones.  And this could be a for a few factors, but the weather in major metropolitan areas during that time (Houston, Miami, Tampa) must have played a role.  

But also... Redzone.  Why would I watch one bad game in its entirety when I could watch all the best parts of every game?  I think that also played a role.  

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

CTE is a problem because it is an accumulation of strikes to the head that start as early as High School.  So in some ways, Hernandez WAS a ten-year vet. 

But also at this rate, I sort of want to see what a healthy brain looks like.  Or do we all have some trace elements of CTE in our brains at all times? 

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

But also... Redzone.  Why would I watch one bad game in its entirety when I could watch all the best parts of every game?  I think that also played a role.  

As someone who loves Fantasy, I get the Redzone love, but it in know way replaces a good game. I can see flipping back and forth between the game you're watching and Redzone, but I really don't understand why you'd just watch Redzone. There's no narrative there. It's all orgasm and no replay. Besides, as a fan of a specific team, I feel like I'm obliged to watch my team's game in its' entirety. 

2 hours ago, sperry said:

What in the fuck are you talking about?  I didn't single out black players. I mentioned Kahlil Mack because he is a star player that I have no clue what he looks like because every time I see him he's wearing a helmet.

Not only that, you can't spell his name either.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Besides, as a fan of a specific team, I feel like I'm obliged to watch my team's game in its' entirety. 

As someone who no longer lives in the media market of the team I root for, I often can't watch my team's game unless I go to a bar.  My apartment can't get Dish either, so I'm stuck with Spectrum and, thus, no Sunday Ticket.  This usually leaves me watching Red Zone since I don't really want to watch Panthers games in their entirety every week.

Just now, briantw said:

As someone who no longer lives in the media market of the team I root for, I often can't watch my team's game unless I go to a bar.  My apartment can't get Dish either, so I'm stuck with Spectrum and, thus, no Sunday Ticket.

I feel for ya. Yeah, I'm not so devoted that I'd seek out a bar every Sunday. Can't really justify the expense of Sunday Ticket, either. I guess I'm pretty lucky geographically in that I get both 49ers and Raiders games every week. It's especially nice when they play in the same timeframe, as that takes some of the sting out of watching the Niners get slapped on a weekly basis.  

Archived