NFL 2017 Week 3: Now Panic Begins!

Rhom

16 hours ago, Week said:

Another wrinkle - I don't know that this would go anywhere - Aaron Hernandez's family bringing a lawsuit against the NFL and Patriots.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandez-cte-results-jose-baez/

I’m not a lawyer, but I did get a 167 on the LSAT, and I’m pretty sure that case has no legs. But since I’m about to quote Rock, and I know he is a lawyer, I’ll let him have the final say on that.

16 hours ago, Rockroi said:

So the one thing I saw said it was across-the-board; the drop in ratings was for all televised games, not just the crappy ones.  And this could be a for a few factors, but the weather in major metropolitan areas during that time (Houston, Miami, Tampa) must have played a role.  

But also... Redzone.  Why would I watch one bad game in its entirety when I could watch all the best parts of every game?  I think that also played a role.  

Oh I totally agree that Redzone is behind a lot of it. I was going to mention that in a previous post, but it wasn’t exactly germane to the broader point I was trying to make.

Also, I think there is some validity to saying the weather is affecting the ratings, but in more ways than just the storms. We both live in northern metropolises, and I suspect the viewership in areas like ours is negatively correlated with the temperature outside. I know I personally went riding my bike for hours rather than watching football to enjoy what little was left of the warm weather.

16 hours ago, Rockroi said:

CTE is a problem because it is an accumulation of strikes to the head that start as early as High School.  So in some ways, Hernandez WAS a ten-year vet. 

But also at this rate, I sort of want to see what a healthy brain looks like.  Or do we all have some trace elements of CTE in our brains at all times? 

It’s hard to really know. I was my grade’s running back from 7th to 11th grade and played strong safety my senior year and I’ve always wondered if I have some low level of CTE that doesn’t affect me now but could in the future. Also, it doesn’t help that I’ve wiped out an immeasurable amount of times while skiing, snowboarding, water skiing and wakeboarding, plus all the other minor head injuries I’ve sustained while playing other sports.

I'm with @Rockroi that I want to see some healthy brains.

As a chiropractor, much of my education was spent on Neuroanatomy classes.  I readily admit that I don't fully understand why we have such difficulty diagnosing CTE.  When I see images like the ones that get circulated with every new study, its readily apparent that the CTE brain looks like a raisin compared to a grape for a health brain.  (For lack of a better analogy.)  I don't understand why our current MRI technology is not sufficient to see that on a living specimen.  With various contrast dyes, it seems the CSF and other fluids ought to have a way for us to visualize that.  :dunno: 

We know that in almost all the cases of brains where the family had reason to suspect CTE and therefore donated for study, the condition was found post mortem.  What I want to see is how many former players who don't suspect CTE have the physical signs?  How many that played through high school?  How many that played through college?  How many that never played?

What's a NASCAR driver's brain look like?

There are so many questions that we just don't have the answer to, and until we can image the brain for CTE without needing the patient to be dead, I don't know that we will get those answers.

ETA:  For what its worth, after a good hard half hour on the Google machine when I have better things to do... this is the best summation of why the brains can only be studied post mortem.

Long story short, it all hinges on the difficulty of differentiating deposits of a specific protein associated with CTE and a host of other neurodegenerative conditions.

I'm sure many of us had Rams vs. 49ers (Goff vs. Hoyer) on TNF as the first genuinely entertaining game of the year. But need to point out the reason why is because Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay are both geniuses. There's nothing at all special about 95% of all NFL coaches that those few who are stand out.

The creative wrinkles both bring to gameplans, the way they're able to manufacture guys getting open through clever play design, it's like night and day in a league filled with sheep. I nearly threw a brick through my TV when I saw the play Shanahan ran on the 1 yard line with two WRs running slants at the same time which caused one of the CBs to be effectively screened out from having any chance of making a play...it was so fucking easy. It's infuriating going on year 4 of Gruden trying fades from the 1 yard line, plays with, at best, a 20% conversion rate. I miss watching coaches who just get it, intuitively.  It's testament to the idiocy of the Skins franchise not finding a way to hold onto either. 

Also @Maithanet, I will say my Sundays are way better just watching RZ channel all the way and not setting aside 3 hours to watch the Skins exclusively. I'm way less invested in the Skins which I'm sure is a big part of it, but can still follow 60-75% of the things that matter exclusively on RZ without being subject to all the infuriating things they do on a play by play basis (like giving the ball to the completely untalented Samaje Perine 20 times in a row on first down which was painful to see even on RZ). RZ channel is like the one thing the NFL has done in the last 15 years that actually has improved the product and it's nice to indulge in it fully. 

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I'm sure many of us had Rams vs. 49ers (Goff vs. Hoyer) on TNF as the first genuinely entertaining game of the year. But need to point out the reason why is because Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay are both geniuses. There's nothing at all special about 95% of all NFL coaches that those few who are stand out.

I tend to agree, I just wonder why it took 3 weeks for this (the Niners) offense to wake up. Outside of a couple of gulping breaths throughout the first 2 games, this was the first signs of life this offense had showed.I know this stuff takes time, but those first 2 games were painful to watch from an offensive standpoint.

16 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The creative wrinkles both bring to gameplans, the way they're able to manufacture guys getting open through clever play design, it's like night and day in a league filled with sheep. I nearly threw a brick through my TV when I saw the play Shanahan ran on the 1 yard line with two WRs running slants at the same time which caused one of the CBs to be effectively screened out from having any chance of making a play...it was so fucking easy. It's infuriating going on year 4 of Gruden trying fades from the 1 yard line, plays with, at best, a 20% conversion rate. I miss watching coaches who just get it, intuitively.  It's testament to the idiocy of the Skins franchise not finding a way to hold onto either. 

Also @Maithanet, I will say my Sundays are way better just watching RZ channel all the way and not setting aside 3 hours to watch the Skins exclusively. I'm way less invested in the Skins which I'm sure is a big part of it, but can still follow 60-75% of the things that matter exclusively on RZ without being subject to all the infuriating things they do on a play by play basis (like giving the ball to the completely untalented Samaje Perine 20 times in a row on first down which was painful to see even on RZ). RZ channel is like the one thing the NFL has done in the last 15 years that actually has improved the product and it's nice to indulge in it fully. 

Welcome back (to the thread)! 

I am likewise very sad that we weren't able to hold on to either of those guys, but I see how it happened in both cases.  Shanahan wasn't going to replace his father as HC, and he wasn't going to stay on as OC when he had opportunities elsewhere.  That's a nonstarter.  McVay grew through the ranks here, and it's a shame we couldn't keep him, but I don't know how we could swing it.  When an OC gets offered a head coaching job, he takes it, every time.  Unless we were ready to fire Gruden and replace him with McVay (which I'm not on board with), there wasn't really much chance.

I guess I'm higher on Perine than you are.  He had a rough first few carries against the Rams, but lots of rookies try and play too fast early on.  Full Speed, Eyes Closed, Can't Lose.  But once he realized that wouldn't work, he settled in and looked decent.  I think he might be better than Kelly, although it is frustrating that we seem to constantly be trotting out mediocre backs ever since Morris' 2012 season. 

It is really unfortunate that our offense looks stuck in the mud the very moment that our defense improves from atrocious to so-so.  Early indications are we've gone from having a top 10 offense and bottom 10 defense to being in the middle for both. 

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I tend to agree, I just wonder why it took 3 weeks for this (the Niners) offense to wake up. Outside of a couple of gulping breaths throughout the first 2 games, this was the first signs of life this offense had showed.I know this stuff takes time, but those first 2 games were painful to watch from an offensive standpoint.

Ehh, offensive creativity can do a lot, but it can't turn water into wine.  The Niners offense is short on talent across the board, I think hit and miss is about the best you can hope for. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Ehh, offensive creativity can do a lot, but it can't turn water into wine.  The Niners offense is short on talent across the board, I think hit and miss is about the best you can hope for. 

Very true. That and the defensive opponents for those first 2 weeks were considerably better than the one they faced last night.

Bradford out again. The Vikings are doing him zero favors by not announcing what's going on medically. If it's a legitimate condition that could happen to anyone playing football, they need to come out and say it. Otherwise it's making it seem like his knee is just acting up cause it's bum, which means his career is basically over. No one is going to sign a guy like that. Thought he was past that after two seasons with no knee problems, but dude is just flat out cursed.

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

Bradford out again. The Vikings are doing him zero favors by not announcing what's going on medically. If it's a legitimate condition that could happen to anyone playing football, they need to come out and say it. Otherwise it's making it seem like his knee is just acting up cause it's bum, which means his career is basically over. No one is going to sign a guy like that. Thought he was past that after two seasons with no knee problems, but dude is just flat out cursed.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU, YOU HEXING, CURSING EVIL MONSTER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:angry::angry2:

That said, the Vikings need to be the team to grow a pair and sign Kaep, NOW!

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

WHAT DID I TELL YOU, YOU HEXING, CURSING EVIL MONSTER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:angry::angry2:

That said, the Vikings need to be the team to grow a pair and sign Kaep, NOW!

Wait King, that's Teddy Bridgewaters music!

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Welcome back (to the thread)! 

I am likewise very sad that we weren't able to hold on to either of those guys, but I see how it happened in both cases.  Shanahan wasn't going to replace his father as HC, and he wasn't going to stay on as OC when he had opportunities elsewhere.  That's a nonstarter.  McVay grew through the ranks here, and it's a shame we couldn't keep him, but I don't know how we could swing it.  When an OC gets offered a head coaching job, he takes it, every time.  Unless we were ready to fire Gruden and replace him with McVay (which I'm not on board with), there wasn't really much chance.

Thanks man. I get McVay couldn't be helped short of a somewhat controversial firing of Gruden after last year. But I think he was the real talent on the staff the last two years while Gruden is just a guy. I get the optics issue, but I'd have been in favor. 

Losing Shanahan was a result of the millionth relationship with Snyder turning poisonous. Everything he touches dies. 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Jaime L, How much does it have to do with being geniuses versus just not being cowards? Coach scared, play scared is exactly the same as prevent defense is the surest way to lose IMO.

Some. Way too many offensive coaches do defenses a big favor by never doing anything to actually threaten them. The criticism after the Superbowl last year was Kyle Shanahan was too aggressive. Fine. He's still also the difference maker who got them there and put them in position to win. And I still take that every day of the week over the Jason Garrett types who punt on 4th and 3 when they're down double digits in the fourth quarter.

But it goes beyond that. It's about knowing how to maximize talent. Kyle Shanahan is the guy who he keeps making Brian Hoyer look like a reasonable starting QB instead of an upjumped backup both in Cleveland and SF. He's also the guy who turned a good QB in Matt Ryan into an MVP QB. Or heck how'd RGIII look in his opener vs. DeShaun Watson? So much of that is understanding the talent you have and putting them in positions they can succeed.

Both McVay and Shanahan deserve shared credit for grooming Cousins from a 4th round joke to a coveted, above average QB. McVay also deserves special honors for making the Rams watchable for the first time since the Greatest Show on Turf days. In particular all the ways they're now using Gurley highlight perfectly the difference between a creative mind...and Jeff Fisher. 

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Apparently the president of America has called upon all NFL owners to fire any player that doesn't stand for the anthem. 

Fake ass, poser fan can eat a bag of dicks and STFU. 

/Do us all a favor Donny and stay the hell away from the NFL. It's already about as fucked up as we can stand.  

//Oh hey, remember the USFL? Yeah, neither do I.

///Not my President

Archived