NFL 2017 Week 3: Now Panic Begins!

Rhom

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Fake ass, poser fan can eat a bag of dicks and STFU. 

/Do us all a favor Donny and stay the hell away from the NFL. It's already about as fucked up as we can stand.  

//Oh hey, remember the USFL? Yeah, neither do I.

///Not my President

Yeah, there's no doubt he's using football to "fire up" his idiotic base. He clearly doesn't give a shit about the game, like at all. 

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Apparently the president of America has called upon all NFL owners to fire any player that doesn't stand for the anthem. 

For our board constitutional scholars. Why isn't this a violation of the first amendment? I know the constitution doesn't actually mean anything in our age of partisan politics, but still.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

For our board constitutional scholars. Why isn't this a violation of the first amendment? I know the constitution doesn't actually mean anything in our age of partisan politics, but still.

The first amendment only protects you from being jailed from your beliefs, not from your company firing you for them.  If you go on TV and protest and your company thinks it makes them look bad, they can and probably will fire you.  It's why we saw some of those white supremacists in Charlottesville get fired following that protest.

That said, not really sure about the implications of the president calling for people to be fired for their beliefs.  This is an issue Trump probably should have just stayed out of.  But then again, he should have stayed out of politics too and that didn't stop the big orange dumbass from stumbling his way into the presidency. 

7 hours ago, sperry said:

Having POTUS pressure private companies to fire employees probably isn't against the Constitution. Trump is teaching us how much our political culture depends on norms. Still, it's not like the shitheels in Congress would ever hold him accountable.

Regarding sponsors, Under Armour has told Trump (in so many words) to fuck off, "We are standing by our athletes." 

Even Goodell hasnt backed the orange douchebags commentary, proving amazingly, that Trump is an even bigger jerk than Goodell. That is not an easy feat:wacko:

8 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding sponsors, Under Armour has told Trump (in so many words) to fuck off, "We are standing by our athletes." 

Even Goodell hasnt backed the orange douchebags commentary, proving amazingly, that Trump is an even bigger jerk than Goodell. That is not an easy feat:wacko:

Goodell actually rebuffed him.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/23/politics/nfl-goodell-trump-response/index.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell slammed Trump in a statement Saturday morning, calling the President "divisive" for remarks he made at a rally in Alabama Friday night, while one of the most famous athletes in the world, LeBron James, called Trump a "bum" for his Saturday morning tweet uninviting Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry from visiting the White House.

18 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Did any of you guys catch Bob Costas on Bill Maher last night? Pretty good discussion about CTE, Kaepernick, and the issues that are currently facing the NFL.

Poetic hemming and lyrical hawing, as per. I think he thinks he's being controversial, but his answer to everything was 'it's complicated', which if you boil it down is the company line. 

Edit: to be fair you could argue he took his line from Bill, at least about the CTE.

21 hours ago, briantw said:

The first amendment only protects you from being jailed from your beliefs, not from your company firing you for them.  If you go on TV and protest and your company thinks it makes them look bad, they can and probably will fire you.  It's why we saw some of those white supremacists in Charlottesville get fired following that protest.

That said, not really sure about the implications of the president calling for people to be fired for their beliefs.  This is an issue Trump probably should have just stayed out of.  But then again, he should have stayed out of politics too and that didn't stop the big orange dumbass from stumbling his way into the presidency. 

I know that you aren't protected from repercussions by private parties for your speech, just didn't know what the effect of a government entity actively pressuring your employer to fire you would be.  The freedom of religion and freedom of speech clauses are worded differently though, which makes Trumps actions constitutionally permissible.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Looks like the Ravens have confirmed their assumed status as the softest 2-0 team in the league today. The Jags are laying the wood to them in London. 37-0 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.

If only someone around here had been making such a statement since the middle of their win over the Bengals.

Someone brilliant. Someone currently being extremely modest by not pointing out how beautiful she is.

The Colts defense absolutely put a collar on the Browns on their first drive. Only letting them gain 10 yards before gently suggesting they stop. I was worried, afraid that a win could be in order. Two penalties in 3 plays later, my fears have been assuaged by the offense.

Archived