NFL 2017 Week 3: Now Panic Begins!

Rhom

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'd assume it was more to keep anyone from getting singled out and getting the Kaepernick treatment from all the out-of-touch yinzers that have been bashing the team all day around here as anti-military or whatever other un-American reason they want to make up. Whatever the case, it did not go according to plan. Nothing can be done about it now.

This is what I assumed as well. I liked what Villenueva had to say today. It's still frustrating it happened the way it did, but like you say nothing can be done now. 

16 hours ago, briantw said:

Naturally, Arizona is dismantling Dallas with ease just like everyone predicted.

Well ... 

Turns out Dak may be for real and Arians is not. 

Just briefly on the flag and the idea of team unity etc.  I think we are trying way too hard to simplify and generalize players' opinions about the anthem.  I think there is a lot of complexity coming out of every locker room.  One thing I have NOT heard has been a statement such as "And to a man we all agreed to ..." The Cowboys tried to show full unity, their display- while nice I guess - also wreaked of group-think and committee-tinkering.  As if they found the least offensive and most satisfied way to protest.  Complete with multiple Jones family members.  

One thing I am seeing is that many black players are seriously torn about this issue.  (Conversely, the vast majority of white players seem to be standing and with little discussion).  On the one hand they care deeply about black men getting killed by the police; on the other hand they have deep and abiding respect for the country.  Again, just looking at Pittsburgh, if the report above is to be believed, the vast majority of the team wanted to stand during the anthem.  Steelers team is 75% black (I believe; could be wrong) .  We have also seen stories about black players who have siblings (even multiple ones) in the service; and a few more with parents in the service or in law enforcement.  And they do not think kneeling during the anthem is appropriate.  

But they also don't like it when the President spills shit-infested acid all over their fellow players.  One thing to remember is that from the word go, very very VERY few players knelt before President Oil Slick opened his maw.  And then players felt that they had t do more.  And many did.  

But moreover if you look at the whole thing ... its hard to get 53 people to agree on ANYTHING and when you include politics, up-bringing, family roots and then juxtapose all that against doing their job in a competitive event, I am not surprised at all that players have disagreements and that coaches and owners have had difficulty in balancing the counter-posing opinions.  As much as I think Mike Tomlin and Pete Carroll and a few others may have botched this... I can't blame them. They are left in a difficult position and they tried to do what they had and, unlike other situations, they did not have a call-sheet to look at.  

And fuck Trump. 

5 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Well ... 

Just briefly on the flag and the idea of team unity etc.  I think we are trying way too hard to simplify and generalize players' opinions about the anthem.  I think there is a lot of complexity coming out of every locker room.  One thing I have NOT heard has been a statement such as "And to a man we all agreed to ..." The Cowboys tried to show full unity, their display- while nice I guess - also wreaked of group-think and committee-tinkering.  As if they found the least offensive and most satisfied way to protest.  Complete with multiple Jones family members.  

One thing I am seeing is that many black players are seriously torn about this issue.  (Conversely, the vast majority of white players seem to be standing and with little discussion).  On the one hand they care deeply about black men getting killed by the police; on the other hand they have deep and abiding respect for the country.  Again, just looking at Pittsburgh, if the report above is to be believed, the vast majority of the team wanted to stand during the anthem.  Steelers team is 75% black (I believe; could be wrong) .  We have also seen stories about black players who have siblings (even multiple ones) in the service; and a few more with parents in the service or in law enforcement.  And they do not think kneeling during the anthem is appropriate.  

But they also don't like it when the President spills shit-infested acid all over their fellow players.  One thing to remember is that from the word go, very very VERY few players knelt before President Oil Slick opened his maw.  And then players felt that they had t do more.  And many did.  

But moreover if you look at the whole thing ... its hard to get 53 people to agree on ANYTHING and when you include politics, up-bringing, family roots and then juxtapose all that against doing their job in a competitive event, I am not surprised at all that players have disagreements and that coaches and owners have had difficulty in balancing the counter-posing opinions.  As much as I think Mike Tomlin and Pete Carroll and a few others may have botched this... I can't blame them. They are left in a difficult position and they tried to do what they had and, unlike other situations, they did not have a call-sheet to look at.  

And fuck Drumpf. 

Yeah, I wrote that in the first quarter when the Cardinals were moving down the field with ease and Dallas looked like shit.  Should have known better.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

Yeah, that's the rub. It really is impossible to get 53 people with differing views to agree on one type of political protest, especially when many members of the 53 don't even want to protest. Hell, it would be difficult to get 53 like minded people to agree on one type of protest. And even if you appear to get it right, you still get it wrong. Just look at last night with the Cowboys. On the surface it looked good, but when you think about it it's all wrong. It was a PR and photo shoot for Jerry while totally watering down the entire meaning of the protests. 

6 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Well ... 

And fuck Trump. 

Yeah, my first reaction to the Cowboys thing was that it was a really half-assed compromise, but at the end of the day, I think everybody's opinion should be honored. I think the perfect compromise is just to have the whole team on the sidelines for the anthem. Anyone who feels compelled to kneel, kneels. Everyone who feels compelled to stand, stands. Done and done.

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, my first reaction to the Cowboys thing was that it was a really half-assed compromise, but at the end of the day, I think everybody's opinion should be honored. I think the perfect compromise is just to have the whole team on the sidelines for the anthem. Anyone who feels compelled to kneel, kneels. Everyone who feels compelled to stand, stands. Done and done.

The picture of Jerry Jones smirking directly into the camera as he kneels with the players is the grossest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Meanwhile, Momma gettin' high as fuck and watching 'Rome'.

8 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The picture of Jerry Jones smirking directly into the camera as he kneels with the players is the grossest thing I've ever seen in my life.

He's more or less Trump Lite, isn't he? I mean, Thank Dog he's not the president, but they are cut from the same cloth, right? On a related note, I read a really cool article about Trump's grudge with the NFL. It turns out he met with Pete Rozelle back in like '85, and Rozelle told him that he'd get a team over his dead body. Fucking awesome. :D

http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-nfl-fight-dates-back-failed-usfl-experiment-80s-jeff-pearlman-670843?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/I'm on my 3rd shot of Cazadores and opening my second Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over here. 

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's more or less Trump Lite, isn't he? I mean, Thank Dog he's not the president, but they are cut from the same cloth, right? On a related note, I read a really cool article about Trump's grudge with the NFL. It turns out he met with Pete Rozelle back in like '85, and Rozelle told him that he'd get a team over his dead body. Fucking awesome. :D

http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-nfl-fight-dates-back-failed-usfl-experiment-80s-jeff-pearlman-670843?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/I'm on my 3rd shot of Cazadores and opening my second Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over here. 

By the Five Furies, if I were not a Genteel Woman I would have you flayed and hung from a bracket at the door!

-Turns stage right-

Castor!

-Caster calls- "Domina?"

Fetch the dogs!

On 9/25/2017 at 10:07 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Larry Fitzgerald is a fucking god.

That game really made me hate how bad the Cardinals are now. It kind of hurt in a visceral way to watch Fitzgerald's god-talent being so wasted.

43 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

That game really made me hate how bad the Cardinals are now. It kind of hurt in a visceral way to watch Fitzgerald's god-talent being so wasted.

What I don't get is how the defense has seemed to regress since say the half way point of last year. I get the offensive woes. Losing David Johnson is huge, and Palmer has clearly jumped the shark, but the defense is largely intact, no? Seems like they've lost a step and a half or so.

11 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

:wub:

9 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

My favorite joke ever - back in the oughts when the cards were awful and there looked to be no end in sight - about how Fitzgerald's talent was being wasted in Arizona was "Headline" :  "Larry Fitzgerald Demands Everyone Else on Cardinals Be Traded."  

We have come full circle.  

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is there anything more shocking through the first 3 weeks of the NFL season than the Vikings having the second leading rusher and the second and third leading receivers with a backup QB staring two games?

I just traded Stefon Diggs (who I got in the 7th round) for Julio Jones in my money league. I hope that doesn't end up biting me on the ass, but I felt like I had to do it.

Archived