Emmys 2017: Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum

Mladen

I was happy Riz Ahmed won for The Night Of. I loved both The Night Of and Big Little Lies, so am happy with either of them winning limited series. Happy for Julia Louis Dreyfus also. Most of these shows I haven't watched, so difficult to form an opinion either way. I was honestly happy GOT was ineligible. 

I haven't seen Big Little Lies, but as a True Blood fan, it was pretty exciting to see Alexander Skarsgard win an Emmy. He and Kristin Bauer van Straten were the only things keeping that show going in the end, and it's nice to see him get the recognition that he probably should've gotten years ago.

Even though I expected it, I was nonetheless disappointed that none of the acting awards went to Westworld, especially for Thandie Newton and Evan Rachel Wood. But alas, it's only been one season. There'll be plenty of opportunities for them further on down the road. 

About time :D

It was tough for me to choose because I loved almost all of the nominees in drama this year for actor, actress and series. I personally think Moss was a bit overrated in her performance (sorry :leaving: ) and would have preferred someone else (Evan Rachel Wood or Keri Russel as my picks, with Russel edging it. Seriously, I just finished season 5 and she was stunning) to take that prize. Drama Series was open to almost any of those shows really so no complaints there from me. Ann Dowd was awesome though so I'm okay with her winning, much as I loved Thandie in Westworld (just look at my avatar ;) ). 

Moving on from the Handmaid's Tale, I sadly never saw This Is Us so can't say much on Stirling K Brown's win. Must have been a great performance to beat out Rhys and Hopkins though. Lithgow certainly deserved supporting actor though, his Churchill was great.

Comedies...eh. My picks didn't even make the nominations -_- Justice for Crazy-Ex. Give Rachel Bloom and Donna Lynne Emmys already. 

Though McKinnon is easily the greatest part of SNL and probably deserved her win of those who actually did get nominated. Worthy winner from a disappointing pool I think (seriously, Leslie Jones?)

Glad Master of None won for writing though, its so clever and insightful at times. Loved the Thanksgiving episode and the episode where Aziz barely features

I'm also hugely pleased by the wins for Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgard and Laura Dern in Big Little Lies. Truly magnificent performances and worth of their awards. 

Any hurray for San Junipero! It's not really a TV movie but whatever, this way I get to see both BLL and San Junipero win awards and I'm okay with that :P 

As for the ceremony, get Spicer the fuck off the stage and don't normalise him. He was a huge part of the Trump administration and its many issues. He doesn't suddenly get in on the jokes because Daddy kicked him out

It was indeed an interesting season. With Season 7 of GoT being illegible, it gave us enough room for numerous other TV shows to shine, which, undeservedly, would not have the space with juggernaut such as GoT in game.

I think that this decade has been amazing when it comes to Drama Lead Actress category. We simply can't choose. And so many different roles have been in game over the years, so many different styles... The stories have been outstanding and with each new year, the winner is just "first among equals". This is the category in which brilliant women such as Robin Wright or Keri Russel haven't won. To win Emmy, you have to be rather good. To win Drama Lead Actress Emmy, you have to raise your game incredibly high. This year we saw a lot of new faces and each of them - Foy, Moss and Wood could have been deserving winners. Davis is still not working for me. I simply don't get the love. Between Moss and Foy, which seems to be the debate this year, I would give slight edge to Moss, simply because Foy's role has been done to death. It was a new approach, amazing production, well written and she did excellent job in portraying monarch in age where she has not some great and ultimate power. On the other hand, Moss was amazing in her own right. I am not too convinced that either of these roles were out of what we would expect of these two ladies, but depth and nuance can't be disputed.

If I say this once, I have said it thousand times... Matthew Rhys needs an Emmy. If The Americans ends and the role of Phillip Jennings is not properly awarded, it would be one of the greatest shames of the Academy. This man is doing amazing work and it is so beautiful to watch his character being tested, morally and emotionally, episode after episode. The Americans had a slow-burn season, but, for these characters, it was emotional ride and they managed to show that with each scene. Admittedly, I haven't seen "This is Us" but I seriously doubt my opinion would change on subject. I really hope that the last season of The Americans will be so good that this show will bow out with the bang next year.

Archived