Cersei's plans for Season 8

LittleScorpion

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Cersei clearly doesn't get the concept of the NK and his army.  They don't destroy their enemies, they consume them. That army gets stronger by fighting battles.  If they win, they get stronger. If they loose, more often than not, they get stronger.

I don't think she's actually assuming she can defeat the NK's army in a battle.

If Jon and Dany win, they definitely are weakened and easier for her to fight.

But if the NK wins—that means a massive army, which contains the only winter-trained troops in Westeros, supported by dragons, couldn't defeat him. There's no army Cersei could raise that would have any chance. The the idea of winning a battle is already so hopeless that adding another 100K troops to the NK's side can't make it any more hopeless.

But… what if she has a secret weapon? Of course she doesn't have one, but she's brilliant, and she's hired brilliant people like Qyburn, so it's just unthinkable that they wouldn't come up with something, even if they have no idea yet what it could be.* Jon and Dany aren't there to weaken the NK, just there to delay him long enough for her team to come up with a brilliant secret weapon that she can use brilliantly, and that's how she's going to save the realm. In which case, again, the extra 100K wights probably don't make much difference. (Imagine Qyburn comes up with some thingy that reverses the polarity of the Walkers' mental control so he can take control of all the wights instead of them—more wights is not a problem.)

Of course the flaw in that belief is obvious if you're not delusional, but then that just takes us back to the previous paragraph, where the extra wights won't make things any more hopeless because they're already completely hopeless.

---

* And, to be fair, the way D&D wrote S7, she isn't quite as stupid for thinking that as she sounds…

11 hours ago, falcotron said:

I don't think she's actually assuming she can defeat the NK's army in a battle.

If Jon and Dany win, they definitely are weakened and easier for her to fight.

But if the NK wins—that means a massive army, which contains the only winter-trained troops in Westeros, supported by dragons, couldn't defeat him. There's no army Cersei could raise that would have any chance. The the idea of winning a battle is already so hopeless that adding another 100K troops to the NK's side can't make it any more hopeless.

But… what if she has a secret weapon? Of course she doesn't have one, but she's brilliant, and she's hired brilliant people like Qyburn, so it's just unthinkable that they wouldn't come up with something, even if they have no idea yet what it could be.* Jon and Dany aren't there to weaken the NK, just there to delay him long enough for her team to come up with a brilliant secret weapon that she can use brilliantly, and that's how she's going to save the realm. In which case, again, the extra 100K wights probably don't make much difference. (Imagine Qyburn comes up with some thingy that reverses the polarity of the Walkers' mental control so he can take control of all the wights instead of them—more wights is not a problem.)

Of course the flaw in that belief is obvious if you're not delusional, but then that just takes us back to the previous paragraph, where the extra wights won't make things any more hopeless because they're already completely hopeless.

---

* And, to be fair, the way D&D wrote S7, she isn't quite as stupid for thinking that as she sounds…

Book or show, Cersei has become an extremely paranoid and delusional person, if she was ever anything else.  All she wants is to retain power, even at the expense of her relationship with Jamie, the only person left in the world she loves.  I thought her scenes in episode seven were brilliantly done.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Book or show, Cersei has become an extremely paranoid and delusional person, if she was ever anything else.  All she wants is to retain power, even at the expense of her relationship with Jamie, the only person left in the world she loves.  I thought her scenes in episode seven were brilliantly done.

I agree. Not just better than I expected, but even better than I'd hoped. I haven't liked many of the changes to Cersei's and Jaime's arcs that the show has made, but the endpoint of their story was perfect.

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

2 hours ago, falcotron said:

I agree. Not just better than I expected, but even better than I'd hoped. I haven't liked many of the changes to Cersei's and Jaime's arcs that the show has made, but the endpoint of their story was perfect.

Their last scene in 707 when Jaime finally leaves King's Landing is one of my favorite scenes like ever. How she's just left fuming alone over the giant map with the violins screaming in the background....ugh...so good. 

Archived