Your favorite 'hateable' character

DominusNovus

2 hours ago, Morte said:

Randyll's kid: Well. I think I could have been able to make him allow me to go to the Citadel, as I'm bookish but quite stubborn and not as big a coward as Sam thinks he is, and I'm also a little more athletic. Maybe Randyll would have accepted the geekish interests of a more headstrong child. Or it would be the Wall for me too. :D

Forget becoming a maester. All you’d have to do is convince Randyll to foster you with the Hightowers. If he sees through that, then the Harlaws. “Who better to toughen me up than the Ironborn, dad?”

6 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

Forget becoming a maester. All you’d have to do is convince Randyll to foster you with the Hightowers. If he sees through that, then the Harlaws. “Who better to toughen me up than the Ironborn, dad?”

Touché. Poor Randyll would have found his master in you. :)

22 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I dunno, not defending Randyll's treatment, but Sam is exceptionally cowardly. I'm not blessed with great athletic ability, but I was always very enthusiastic at sports, so I guess I would have been the same if trained in fighting and hunting. I think he would have been hard on me, but at least had some appreciation for me efforts.

Whereas being cuckholded by someone with their twin? I feel like any marriage with Cersei is likely to go shit eventually. She was so angry with Robert's love of Lyanna, but didn't she have the same attitude to Rhaegar (let alone Jaime)? And she is so murderous, just think of Melara Hetherspoon.

Ask me how many shits I give about a guy being "cuckholded."

I truly have no clue what you're trying to insinuate with Sam. I'm glad you would have probably not been chained to a wall had Randyll been your dad? But this reads as incredibly disturbing victim blaming. 

Cersei is a complicated and a wonderfully challenging PoV character between her internalized misogyny and years of abuse (which has sadly perpetuated, as she's now an abuser and acted as a secondary abuser to Tyrion growing up). I'm not saying she's a peach, but I think the fandom tendency to woobify everyone she comes in contact with is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Chebyshov said:

How many shits do you give?

How about when the cuckold is the king in a hereditary monarchy, where uncertainty of the parentage of the queen’s children can lead to severe instability?

How about when the the man with whom the queen is cuckolding her husband is her own twin brother?

I truly have no clue what you're trying to insinuate with Sam. I'm glad you would have probably not been chained to a wall had Randyll been your dad? But this reads as incredibly disturbing victim blaming. 

Cersei is a complicated and a wonderfully challenging PoV character between her internalized misogyny and years of abuse (which has sadly perpetuated, as she's now an abuser and acted as a secondary abuser to Tyrion growing up). I'm not saying she's a peach, but I think the fandom tendency to woobify everyone she comes in contact with is ridiculous. 

I dunno, it's pretty shitty behaviour either way. Would you not mind if your partner was cheating on you? Let alone tricked you into raising someone else's child. I know "cuck" is a term used by dickheads at the moment, but cuckolding is a real thing. I know it's hard to empathise with Robert, considering he didn't give a shit about his kids that he thought were his, but imagine if this happened to, say, Ned, how devastating that would be.

Well the question was- would YOU rather be Cersei's husband, or Randyll's son. I love Sam, but for me personally, I think I could have got through his upbringing without my life being threatened. Whereas Cersei would have a pop at me eventually.

I agree, one line that really stood out to me was when she thought (I think it was a thought) about how she had been sold off like a horse, to be ridden whenever he wanted. Because that is, in essense, the role of so many women in so much of history. But, progressive as I like to think myself, that still doesn't mean I have any desire to have her kill me. If I'm going to get involved with a deadly women from the series, I think I'm more of an Arianne man. Or Margaery, if she's being played by Natalie Dormer.

I do still think Robert is a kinda woobie, in the strange way that the series subverts tropes.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:36 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Ugh I HATE RANDYLL TARLY lol! 

I've always liked The Hound. Even before his character started to turn.

I think mine would be Cersei. I sympathize with her. She gets forced into a loveless marriage & isn't allowed to love the person she really does. Her children are considered an abomination to those who know their true parentage & she is trapped in a patriarchal society. 

She is also bat shit crazy. 

I did too re the bolded. I cant agree with Cersei completely but  I did find I had some sympathy for her in the later books. I found Joffrey quite hilarious. Its not popular I know but Catelyn - although I understand where she is coming from, I just do not like her.

Absolutely HATED Randyll Tarly, Vargo Hoat, Varamyr (sp ?) . 

2 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

How many shits do you give?

How about when the cuckold is the king in a hereditary monarchy, where uncertainty of the parentage of the queen’s children can lead to severe instability?

How about when the the man with whom the queen is cuckolding her husband is her own twin brother?

I'm not that super into feudalism, bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

8 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

Feudalism sucks, but feudalistic civil wars which devastate nobility and peasants alike suck more, so maybe don't destabilise the whole of society because you can't resist having children with your twin.

I mean I feel super bad about the internalised mysogyny, but most women manage through without being that fucked up.

2 hours ago, princess_snow said:

I did too re the bolded. I cant agree with Cersei completely but  I did find I had some sympathy for her in the later books. I found Joffrey quite hilarious. Its not popular I know but Catelyn - although I understand where she is coming from, I just do not like her.

Absolutely HATED Randyll Tarly, Vargo Hoat, Varamyr (sp ?) . 

Ahh me too! I don't like her at all. Don't get me wrong I didn't cheer at the RW or anything but she does irritate me. 

I don’t think anyone in modern society is ‘super into feudalism,’ particularly Westerosi feudalism.  You know who really makes out like a bandit in a feudal society?  The Queen.  Its a pretty cushy job in a feudal society.  Job responsibilities:

• Sleep with the King and get pregnant
  • Sleep with nobody else

In exchange for that, you get the best possible quality of life in the entire continent.

4 hours ago, Elynna Stark said:

Cersei, I enjoy her PoV. She is an interesting and complicated character. 

And Catelyn? I lot of people hate her but I never could. 

Oh, I'm new. Hi!! 

Agree and agree and welcome to the board!

On 9/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Roose Bolton.  He betrayed the Starks and some Stark fans hate him for it.  I like him and I think we will learn that the Starks are not the honorable people in the story that we think they are. 

I doubt it. Just a reminder that this isn’t about wishcasting away the sins of the characters we like, or the virtues of thier opponents. The Starks clearly have built up a lot of political capital in their governance of the North over the generations. You can still like Roose without assuming it means the Starks suck.

Unrelated, but I just realized there’s a great character in this category that nobody has brought up: Viserys. He’s got all the great fantasy tropes going on, and, from Dany’s recollection, you can tell that he wasn’t a complete monster. Its obvious from events that he simply was not up to coping with the challenges he faced. A sort of royal ‘broken man’ if you will.

Tarly still has my vote, though.

Cercei, as many have posted. I hate her, but... I do enjoy her through a sagenfrued perspective...

She is multi-dimensional. She is a strong character. She is Machiavellian, though a bit "lite" in that regard. She loves her kids!

Though, she does have... "troubling" relations with her siblings.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, DominusNovus said:

I don’t think anyone in modern society is ‘super into feudalism,’ particularly Westerosi feudalism.  You know who really makes out like a bandit in a feudal society?  The Queen.  Its a pretty cushy job in a feudal society.  Job responsibilities:

• Sleep with the King and get pregnant
  • Sleep with nobody else

In exchange for that, you get the best possible quality of life in the entire continent.

Maybe part of the point of the series is holding up a lens to the inherent untenable nature of it even for the noble class with cushy jobs. Or something. You know, cause the "best possible quality of life" in that context is actually really shitty and oppressive?

Archived