Your favorite 'hateable' character

DominusNovus

• 4 months later...

In universe and out- Cersei is awesome, an eviler version of Scarlett O'Hara- a determined, strong woman who could have achieved more in life if only she'd been allowed to, but hates or punishes the wrong people for it (Tyrion, Sansa, other women, etc.).Her Walk made me deeply uncomfortable. Nobody deserves that kind of punishment. 

In-universe- Tyrion. What an underrated villain! Abused child who grew up to be a rather despicable person and has some of the very best chapters in the series, perhaps because of his dark side. 

Cersei and the Ironborn.

Cersei is horrible psychopath but her POV chapters are some of the most entertaining in the books. I dont really want to admit that I kinda like her.

The Ironborn characters are sometimes really disliked. But I really like their chapters and characters. They do horrible stuff but genuinely see themselves as the good guys. Euron I only really like because he is so mysterious and an interesting villain.

6 hours ago, JS97 said:

Cersei and the Ironborn.

Cersei is horrible psychopath but her POV chapters are some of the most entertaining in the books. I dont really want to admit that I kinda like her.

The Ironborn characters are sometimes really disliked. But I really like their chapters and characters. They do horrible stuff but genuinely see themselves as the good guys. Euron I only really like because he is so mysterious and an interesting villain.

First welcome to the forums :cheers: 

I had to comment here because my daughter and I were just discussing this. I was explaining to her the difference (at least in my mind) between liking a character, as in, liking them as a person & liking a character, as in, admiring the authors ability to write an intriguing character. 

Our discussion revolved around Theon & at the risk of getting flayed alive for this he really got the short end of the stick. He was an arrogant little prick, yes but he was left with some pretty hard choices. Anyway I'm rambling & don't want to derail the thread. My point was even though he isn't necessarily good I like him. I can relate to him on different points & I think that speaks to the authors ability to bring his characters alive.

12 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

First welcome to the forums :cheers: 

I had to comment here because my daughter and I were just discussing this. I was explaining to her the difference (at least in my mind) between liking a character, as in, liking them as a person & liking a character, as in, admiring the authors ability to write an intriguing character. 

Our discussion revolved around Theon & at the risk of getting flayed alive for this he really got the short end of the stick. He was an arrogant little prick, yes but he was left with some pretty hard choices. Anyway I'm rambling & don't want to derail the thread. My point was even though he isn't necessarily good I like him. I can relate to him on different points & I think that speaks to the authors ability to bring his characters alive.

Thanks!

George really understands this. What makes ASOIAF special to me is the fact that characters act motivated by their own motives. Nobody sees themselves as a villain. That is what makes the characters in this story so great. Characters feel like they could actually exist. There is also the psychological effect of a POV character. People automatically identify with a POV character. Another advantage of a POV is the fact that people get to know the motivations. This is why nobody will probably like characters like the Mountain. (Although I doubt even his motivations could make me sympathetic to his motivations).

On 9/20/2017 at 7:37 PM, DominusNovus said:

Interesting choices.

To give a better idea of what I had in mind with characters we’re supposed to hate, I’m thinking Tywin, Joffrey, Cersei, Randyll, Craster, Roose, Ramsey, Gregor, Meryn, Walder, Littlefinger... that ‘tier’ of characters.

Definitely Roose Bolton.

He's utterly horrible, he knows it, and the readers all know it, and fortunately, none of his fans are trying to romanticize him or to argue that he's just a misunderstood man or a great statesman whose actions are all justified (which is the case with the fans of some of the other mentioned characters, which drives me crazy). At the same time, he's a smart villain (unlike his bastard son) and he's even funny in his own way with his awfulness and blatant self-interest and lack of morals. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Annara Snow said:

Definitely Roose Bolton.

He's utterly horrible, he knows it, and the readers all know it, and fortunately, none of his fans are trying to romanticize him or to argue that he's just a misunderstood man or a great statesman whose actions are all justified (which is the case with the fans of some of the other mentioned characters, which drives me crazy). At the same time, he's a smart villain (unlike his bastard son) and he's even funny in his own way with his awfulness and blatant self-interest and lack of morals. 

Both Roose Bolton and Cersei are great villains.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Both Roose Bolton and Cersei are great villains.

Oh, I love Cersei as a villain. But I didn't think of her, because she evokes more complicated feelings - I hate her, but I also feel sorry for her at times. Roose is one of the characters who aren't that complex, but is still great.

I also enjoy other evil POVs like Varamyr and Chett (enjoyable in being awful).

For big monsters like Tywin, Littlefinger, Euron,Ramsey I only hate them. They will never be my favorites. But for characters I hate my favorite is either Joffrey or Roose. They are middle of the road villain , still evil but not so evil like the big one like Tywin, Littlefinger, Euron,Ramsey.

On 2/11/2018 at 4:50 PM, Annara Snow said:

Definitely Roose Bolton.

Totally agree.

He even puts himself on a leeching therapy-he gets rid of the bad blood. Who else does that voluntarily? 

2 hours ago, thor2006 said:

For big monsters like Tywin, Littlefinger, Euron,Ramsey I only hate them. They will never be my favorites. But for characters I hate my favorite is either Joffrey or Roose. They are middle of the road villain , still evil but not so evil like the big one like Tywin, Littlefinger, Euron,Ramsey.

I'm not sure I would consider Joffery or Roose less evil than Tywin or even Littlefinger. 

Archived