U.S. Politics: A City Upon A Hill Has Lost It's Shine.

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Just a recap of the last two days:

• ·         Trump threatened to destroy an entire country and kill 25,000,000 people
  • ·         Trump is about to destroy the Iran nuclear agreement, which most likely will lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East and probably more wars
  • ·         Senate Republicans are pushing a new healthcare plan that they even admit isn’t very good, but screw it, it sorta kinda repeals Obamacare

What a time to be alive...

@ThinkerX

The boarders here really should have caught this.  The video turned up on my Facebook yesterday or the day before; went and tracked down the article.  This is the sort of thing that needs to happen at every Trump rally:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09/19/black-lives-matter-group-takes-the-stage-at-pro-trump-rally-what-happens-next-is-amazing/

Because, what gets lost in the venomous declarations and ultimatums from both Right and Left, Conservative and Liberal, is this:

'the other side doesn't go away.'

'learn to accommodate each other somehow or there will be Hell to pay.'

That video is not something that should happen at any Trump rally. There was no benefit -- the BLM group (not affiliated with core BLM i.e. http://blacklivesmatter.com/) modified their message to be acceptable to the noxious Trump crowd who generally responded with hate an insults (the typical "All lives matter" what about black on black crime, etc.)

Viewpoint from activist Ijeoma Uluo

https://theestablishment.co/stop-trying-to-feel-good-about-trump-supporters-and-get-to-work-b408c07b095d 

In a short and very pandering speech, Hawk Newsome, president of BLM New York, explains that BLM isn’t “anti-cop,” that they “aren’t asking for a handout,” and that they want to get rid of “bad cops” just like Trump supporters want to get rid of “bad politicians.” After the speech, Newsome is shown taking pictures with Trump supporters as he talks about how some of them came up to him after and said that they agreed with him. He says that he wanted them to see that a member of BLM was a “Proud American and Christian.” And that BLM members were “educated.”

[..]

What do the White Supremacists at the rally have to do? Patronizingly give two minutes of stage time, out of an entire day of hate speech, to BLM activists, and pose for a few photos with black people who just bent over backwards to appear nonthreatening to them.

[...]

These are people who are, right this very moment, upholding staggering amounts of hate and oppression. And instead of being shown the reality of what they have done to this country…instead of being held accountable… instead of being told to own up to their racism, xenophobia, sexism, and transphobia…instead of being asked to help clean up the godforsaken mess they’ve created…instead of being made to feel the actual regret and shame that is absolutely necessary for growth when you have committed regretful and shameful acts…

…they get to fast-forward to feeling good. To proving to themselves and others that, because they can listen to a black person speak for two minutes and take a picture with him, that they are not racist. Then they get to go back to being racist as fuck.

Apologies for the double post -- pushing back on the alt-right, WS&N as posers or cosplayers is the account of a swedish grad student who went undercover with alt-right groups (he was at Charlottesville -- witnessed the murder of Heather Heyer and was pepper-sprayed by a counter-protester). The article describes the explosion of the alt-right online -- meme wars and hordes of trolls -- that are coordinated and international. The broadening -- ironically, globalization, if you will, -- leads to some true evil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

In Britain, Mr. Hermansson attended a private dinner of extremists where Greg Johnson, a reclusive leading American far-right figure who is editor in chief of Counter-Currents Publishing, explained the need to “mainstream this stuff — or, more precisely, we need to bring the mainstream towards us.”

Mr. Johnson later expressed confidence that this process is working. “I see the upward curve in web traffic, and the upward trend in quality and quantity of younger people getting involved,” he told Mr. Hermansson in conversation captured on hidden-camera footage. (During that same chat, he said he believed in ethnic homelands and favored telling Jews, “You need to go to Israel or we’re going to freeze you out of our society.”)

Or

Some of Mr. Hermansson’s most arresting footage comes from a June meeting with Jason Reza Jorjani, a founder, along with the American white nationalist Richard Spencer and others, of the AltRight Corporation, an organization established to foster cooperation and coordination among alt-right groups in Europe and North America.

Mr. Hermansson and Mr. Jorjani met at an Irish pub near the Empire State Building, where the baby-faced Mr. Jorjani imagined a near future in which, thanks to liberal complacency over the migration crisis, Europe re-embraces fascism: “We will have a Europe, in 2050, where the bank notes have Adolf Hitler, Napoleon Bonaparte, Alexander the Great. And Hitler will be seen like that: like Napoleon, like Alexander, not like some weird monster who is unique in his own category — no, he is just going to be seen as a great European leader.”

More shockingly, Mr. Jorjani bragged about his contacts in the American government. “We had connections in the Trump administration — we were going to do things!” he said at one point. “I had contacts with the Trump administration,” he said at another.

The "cosplayers" may seem like "cosplayers" until you see the interconnected web that connects them to people like this. Not a joke, not nazi-lite -- nazi.

Either Trump is himself a white supremacist or he is a fan and defender of white supremacists, and I quite honestly am unable to separate the two designations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/opinion/trump-white-supremacist.html

53 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Interesting, but I think you may have violated copyright here by posting the entire column instead of just a short excerpt and the link.

Better? And I don’t know if I did, since I credited the source and have no intent or capability to profit off of it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Better? And I don’t know if I did, since I credited the source and have no intent or capability to profit off of it.

One would have to check with a copyright lawyer to be sure, but it is not you personally who might get into trouble over this, but the owners of the site, because since they are selling advertising on it they would be "profiting" from your posting the copyrighted material here. 

53 minutes ago, Ormond said:

One would have to check with a copyright lawyer to be sure, but it is not you personally who might get into trouble over this, but the owners of the site, because since they are selling advertising on it they would be "profiting" from your posting the copyrighted material here. 

Ah, gotcha. I guess that makes sense, I just didn’t think it was a big deal because I’ve seen others post entire articles so long as there short.

Since I have your attention, can you help me out with something? I’m looking for a psychological term that’s similar to empathy, but it goes a bit further and discusses the concept of literally seeing the world through another person’s eyes. I believe it starts with an “a”.

10 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/a-4-year-old-girl-fatally-shot-herself-while-grabbing-candy?utm_term=.lp78W5w8bX#.qjPp0KBpk4

Isn't it time we had a serious conversation about the damage candy is doing to our children?

It's impossible to regulate candy.  

20 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

Lack of profit or intent to profit is only one of many factors that may be considered in the context of a "fair use" argument.  By itself, it is rarely enough to excuse a copyright violation.

Well since I’m a white male from an affluent family, I’m just going to use the “I didn’t know I couldn’t do that” defense. It’s never failed one of us before!!!

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ah, gotcha. I guess that makes sense, I just didn’t think it was a big deal because I’ve seen others post entire articles so long as there short.

Since I have your attention, can you help me out with something? I’m looking for a psychological term that’s similar to empathy, but it goes a bit further and discusses the concept of literally seeing the world through another person’s eyes. I believe it starts with an “a”.

I don't know of one word for this offhand. "Cognitive empathy" and "perspective taking" seem to be what you are getting at. Does this essay on Sherlock Holmes' "cognitive empathy" describe the distinction you are looking for?

https://aeon.co/essays/empathy-depends-on-a-cool-head-as-much-as-a-warm-heart

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/a-4-year-old-girl-fatally-shot-herself-while-grabbing-candy?utm_term=.lp78W5w8bX#.qjPp0KBpk4

Isn't it time we had a serious conversation about the damage candy is doing to our children?

What about to others?  Sugars are the greatest cause of obesity -- not to mention rotten teeth.

Ya think old ttomperola is hitting the Mars Bars big time?  Have you looked at his face --- it's as huge and round as a harvest moon these days.  He's getting right up there in Chris Christy category.

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't know of one word for this offhand. "Cognitive empathy" and "perspective taking" seem to be what you are getting at. Does this essay on Sherlock Holmes' "cognitive empathy" describe the distinction you are looking for?

https://aeon.co/essays/empathy-depends-on-a-cool-head-as-much-as-a-warm-heart

Those don't sound right. I'll check out this article tonight and dig out a few of my personality psych text books to see if I can find it. I'll shoot you a PM so we don't derail the thread any further.

8 hours ago, Week said:

@ThinkerX

That video is not something that should happen at any Trump rally. There was no benefit -- the BLM group (not affiliated with core BLM i.e. http://blacklivesmatter.com/) modified their message to be acceptable to the noxious Trump crowd who generally responded with hate an insults (the typical "All lives matter" what about black on black crime, etc.)

Viewpoint from activist Ijeoma Uluo

https://theestablishment.co/stop-trying-to-feel-good-about-trump-supporters-and-get-to-work-b408c07b095d 

I disagree - because communication has to start somewhere, especially in polarized situations like that.

That two minutes talking time was two minutes more than BLM received at a Trump rally before.

Perfect? No.

Flawed?  Yes.

Its a tiny, fumbling step towards sanity.  I see that as better by far than a half-assed civil war that won't solve anything. 

Roughly a third of the US are conservative leaning republicans.  Another third are arguably 'liberal,' if you stretch the terms enough.  The 'other side' does not go away. Learn to accommodate each other somehow or BOTH sides face complete catastrophe. No exaggeration.

@ThinkerX That would be nice, for a change. But it's not liberals or minorities clamoring for a "white ethnostate" (i.e., making the "others" go away by deporting or killing them). I can respect conservatives. I have my disagreements with them, but we can still find common ground in not wanting to directly hurt the other, even if we may vehemently disagree on the ins and outs of the details. It's the reactionary neofascist Charlottesville crowd that pushed a Trump to the top that really scares me, because they do not care about the lives, liberty, or happiness of anyone but straight white Christian people.

So I had my daily 2mn of fun on facebook that I think belong here.

First I watched a clip from Breitbart supporting Roy Moore as a candidate for Sessions's senate seat, saying that "swamp monsters" were "reportedly" pressuring Trump into supporting "McConnel's candidate" Luther Strange, the GOP "establishment" candidate.
Then I saw a clip from Trump's facebook page strongly endorsing Strange.

It's funny how hard Breitbart is trying to present Trump as being some kind of "victim" of the establishment.

Archived