U.S. Politics: A City Upon A Hill Has Lost It's Shine.

Mr. Chatywin et al.

29 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

First I watched a clip from Breitbart supporting Roy Moore as a candidate for Sessions's senate seat, saying that "swamp monsters" were "reportedly" pressuring Trump into supporting "McConnel's candidate" Luther Strange, the GOP "establishment" candidate.

S-s-s-s-sw-swamp Monsters!!!

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Since I have your attention, can you help me out with something? I’m looking for a psychological term that’s similar to empathy, but it goes a bit further and discusses the concept of literally seeing the world through another person’s eyes. I believe it starts with an “a”.

Could you be referring to altruism, and more specifically the empathy-altruism hypothesis?

8 hours ago, Shryke said:

Wait, this a question still?

Trump is a white supremacist.

Fin

Oh he is with out a doubt.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

So I had my daily 2mn of fun on facebook that I think belong here.

First I watched a clip from Breitbart supporting Roy Moore as a candidate for Sessions's senate seat, saying that "swamp monsters" were "reportedly" pressuring Trump into supporting "McConnel's candidate" Luther Strange, the GOP "establishment" candidate.
Then I saw a clip from Trump's facebook page strongly endorsing Strange.

It's funny how hard Breitbart is trying to present Trump as being some kind of "victim" of the establishment.

Just how Breitbart is, always pushing some bullshit lie.

3 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

@ThinkerX That would be nice, for a change. But it's not liberals or minorities clamoring for a "white ethnostate" (i.e., making the "others" go away by deporting or killing them). I can respect conservatives. I have my disagreements with them, but we can still find common ground in not wanting to directly hurt the other, even if we may vehemently disagree on the ins and outs of the details. It's the reactionary neofascist Charlottesville crowd that pushed a Trump to the top that really scares me, because they do not care about the lives, liberty, or happiness of anyone but straight white Christian people.

Problem is, the liberal/conservative factions are far to busy demonizing each other to actually communicate beyond sound bites.

I live in a heavily conservative area.  Lots of conservatives on my route.  Much of my family is conservatively oriented - like my father.  He's an old line homesteader - to succeed at that takes a lot of back breaking work.  While doing that, he helped found the local volunteer fire department, and served with it for over 20 years until a bad back and watching people die from overdoses made him give it up. He's served on local road and recreational boards - dull, bureaucratic positions.  He's repaired many a vehicle for the younger relatives, free of charge - including me.  (He replaced a water pump in my rig because he was bored.)  A year ago, he let one of those younger relations move into the house, rent free, after a bitter divorce.  And he thinks Trump is one of the best presidents ever.  And many other Trump supporters fit into that mold.  It is these sorts of people whom I hope can be reached via actions like BLM's on that stage.  As it is, barring flukes like that, they are completely locked into a mirrored echo chamber.

25 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

puerto rico is pretty much 100% without electricity right now after maria, and people are saying it may be 4-6 MONTHS until power is fully restored

puerto rico has a greater population than like, 20 actual states

Yea, I heard that today when I was talking to my dad and asking how his in laws were doing. One is with them at their house, but her husband is still in Puerto Rico, and they haven't heard from him, but are hoping to tomorrow / today, if possible.

16 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Yea, I heard that today when I was talking to my dad and asking how his in laws were doing. One is with them at their house, but her husband is still in Puerto Rico, and they haven't heard from him, but are hoping to tomorrow / today, if possible.

crazy and scary as hell. assume you've seen and passed along these number but just in case

202-778-0710 
787-777-0940
877-976-2400

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/351851-nevada-gop-governor-rips-graham-cassidy-bill-flexibility-it-promises-is-a

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) on Thursday amped up his criticism of the new plan to repeal and replace ObamaCare, saying the GOP bill would “pit Nevadans against each other.”

“Flexibility with reduced funding is a false choice,” Sandoval said in a statement to The Nevada Independent. “I will not pit seniors, children, families, the mentally ill, the critically ill, hospitals, care providers, or any other Nevadan against each other because of cuts to Nevada’s healthcare delivery system proposed by the Graham-Cassidy amendment.”

An analysis of the bill conducted by the state says Nevada would lose between $600 million and $2 billion in federal funding by 2026 if the bill passes, according to the Independent.

RINO!

Sandoval remains at odds with Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.), who is a co-sponsor of the latest ObamaCare repeal bill introduced by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.).

True conservative here.  Learned his lesson last go around and now is running scared of being primaried and/or losing to the Dem candidate.  But it's OK if citizens lose health coverage for that tho. 

Good grief!

President Donald Trump’s appointees to jobs at Agriculture Department headquarters include a long-haul truck driver, a country club cabana attendant and the owner of a scented-candle company.

A POLITICO review of dozens of résumés from political appointees to USDA shows the agency has been stocked with Trump campaign staff and volunteers who in many cases demonstrated little to no experience with federal policy, let alone deep roots in agriculture. But of the 42 résumés POLITICO reviewed, 22 cited Trump campaign experience. And based on their résumés, some of those appointees appear to lack credentials, such as a college degree, required to qualify for higher government salaries.

Story Continued Below

It’s typical for presidents to reward loyalists with jobs once a campaign is over. But what’s different under Trump, sources familiar with the department's inner workings say, is the number of campaign staffers who have gotten positions and the jobs and salaries they have been hired for, despite not having solid agricultural credentials in certain cases. An inexperienced staff can lead to mistakes and sidetrack a president’s agenda, the sources say.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/21/trump-agriculture-department-usda-campaign-workers-242951

12 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Could you be referring to altruism, and more specifically the empathy-altruism hypothesis?

:rolleyes:

No dude, that’s a rather basic term. I’m looking for something super obscure, and I spent over an hour last night scrolling through the glossaries of several textbooks and couldn’t find it. The term is similar to empathy and altruism, in a sense, but also very different. It creates a spectrum where on the low end an individual has no ability to see the world through another person’s eyes and on the high end can walk in anybody’s shoes, if that makes sense.  I’m now 100% sure I picked it up in a personality psych class, but both that I took were taught by a grad student and I’m starting to wonder if it was a personal theory of his rather than an established concept.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

:rolleyes:

No dude, that’s a rather basic term. I’m looking for something super obscure, and I spent over an hour last night scrolling through the glossaries of several textbooks and couldn’t find it. The term is similar to empathy and altruism, in a sense, but also very different. It creates a spectrum where on the low end an individual has no ability to see the world through another person’s eyes and on the high end can walk in anybody’s shoes, if that makes sense.  I’m now 100% sure I picked it up in a personality psych class, but both that I took were taught by a grad student and I’m starting to wonder if it was a personal theory of his rather than an established concept.  

That's easy.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5589/15076936619_91991276bf.jpg

/Amatuer

8 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Yeah, those Naked Trump statues they threw up during the run up to the election sure paid off. This particular example is interesting though, I'll give you that.

2 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

McCain is a no on Graham-Cassidy. Collins is leaning no. This probably makes Paul's no more reliable, too. But let's see. 'Leaning no' is usually code for 'give me more perks'.

More context, you :ph34r:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/09/22/mccain-says-he-will-vote-no-on-cassidy-graham-bill-dealing-potentially-decisive-blow-to-the-health-care-repeal-effort/?utm_term=.94fbc7239ffc

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Turns out brain cancer has a liberal bias?

I may have this wrong, but I heard it was reported that when asked about how he would vote a few days ago he just kept saying “We need regular order,” over and over again. Seems like the Maverick wasn’t satisfied by turtle stew.

Archived