U.S. Politics: A City Upon A Hill Has Lost It's Shine.

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Polite and peaceful resistance at least has the virtue that it has not made anything worse. The violent protesters have made a good case for themselves actually being a greater menace than Milo (who, after all, only speaks) and also increased his publicity beyond his wildest dreams. His return to Berkeley now commands attention at the national level and while the violent protesters have the same attention, Milo actually has something to say whereas the protesters are mainly known for being violent. In fact, even if they succeed in keeping him out of a specific physical venue again, they will still have made him stronger because the number of people he would have reached at any physical venue is tiny compared to the number he will reach online and the latter will spike every time he gets into a conflict with the violent protesters. It's not really opposition if you're making your enemy stronger.

Agree with most of this outside of the bolded. Milo's latest round with Berkeley only underlines what we already knew. He's lazy, unprofessional and has nothing to offer outside of his existence. He's a gay Alt-Righter with a British accent. That's pretty much it. He's a sideshow act with no talent.

Another small step towards sanity:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-was-the-armed-showdown-at-the-mosque-over-sharia-then-came-the-sitdown-at-dairy-queen-over-the-future-of-america/ar-AAsn2Y0?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

Rightwing militia types in Texas sit down at DQ for lunch and debate with Islamist.

Long, but interesting. And the ending offers a bit of hope.

15 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Agree with most of this outside of the bolded. Milo's latest round with Berkeley only underlines what we already knew. He's lazy, unprofessional and has nothing to offer outside of his existence. He's a gay Alt-Righter with a British accent. That's pretty much it. He's a sideshow act with no talent.

That's what he was before the protests and I'm reasonably confident that his act would have gotten old pretty quickly had nobody taken the bait. However, now he has a new act portraying himself as the champion of free speech:

“We will go through this madness, and we will do it again and again and again, until conservative speakers are given the same rights and privileges as their left-wing counterparts at every college in the country.”

“I will not rest until every student in America feels able to share their politics openly and proudly without fear of being marked down on essays, laughed at in the classroom or punished for inviting their speaker of choice,” he stated.

It's rather ironic, really.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Polite and peaceful resistance at least has the virtue that it has not made anything worse. The violent protesters have made a good case for themselves actually being a greater menace than Milo (who, after all, only speaks) and also increased his publicity beyond his wildest dreams. His return to Berkeley now commands attention at the national level and while the violent protesters have the same attention, Milo actually has something to say whereas the protesters are mainly known for being violent. In fact, even if they succeed in keeping him out of a specific physical venue again, they will still have made him stronger because the number of people he would have reached at any physical venue is tiny compared to the number he will reach online and the latter will spike every time he gets into a conflict with the violent protesters. It's not really opposition if you're making your enemy stronger.

neo fascist right (politely) : political correctness is leading to the erosion of my ability to denigrate minorities in everyday speech and white genocide

radical left: fuck you nazi scum

alt center: oh my, goodness me, how uncouth, this CANNOT stand

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

That's what he was before the protests and I'm reasonably confident that his act would have gotten old pretty quickly had nobody taken the bait. However, now he has a new act portraying himself as the champion of free speech:

It's rather ironic, really.

That's what he still is. He's dropped the ball on this proposed "Freedom of Speech Week" at Berkeley. Apparently he never bothered to contact about 2/3rds of the speakers that he said were going to appear. The student organization that was sponsoring the event failed to file the proper paperwork or put down the required security deposit. It's all internet postings and press releases with Milo, and little in the way of legwork. Or work of any substance.

What's ironic about that quote is it is the one salient point he can make, and it is only made possible by the sort of violent protest that he inspires. Look at what Ben Shapiro just managed to pull of in Berkeley. He had his little speech, and he jumped through all the hoops that the university set out for him, and the event went off as planned. Milo is much like his idol Trump in that regard. It's all talk with no effort or real plan behind the bluster. 

/And that act isn't new at all. He was working that shtick long before Berkeley. Berkeley was the one event that actually legitimized the act.

1 hour ago, good chill praxis guy said:

neo fascist right (politely) : political correctness is leading to the erosion of my ability to denigrate minorities in everyday speech and white genocide

radical left: fuck you nazi scum

alt center: oh my, goodness me, how uncouth, this CANNOT stand

Lol. Very true.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

He released a statement as to why he did it, a huge fuck you to Trump.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I gotta wonder if Trump started his latest twitter attacks on pro athletes so that the headlines would be about that controversy and not about the Republicans failing to get the votes for Obamacare repeal?

What? Trump? Say something contraversial about something he doesn't give a damn about to distract from a political problem he does? I've never heard of such a thing... that seems to happen on a fortnightly basis

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Okay, explain to me again how protesting his speaking events prevented him from outing folks? It's simple-minded to think that anyone prevented him from doing this the last time around. If he had the information, he could have simply posted it to his Facebook as he did in this instance. 

When you refuse to stand up against the Milo's of the world, you're complicit in normalizing that behavior.  Sure, he could have simply posted from Facebook, and that's another platform where protest could take place, much like massive protest took place over Twitter, where he was eventually banned.

Look, you're cool with this filth being given free unimpeded reign to say things that directly promote violence.  So it's either simple-mindedness, or you're an evil scumbag.  I'm willing to acknowledge that you probably aren't simple-minded.  

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I guess I could take that as a compliment.

More directly relevant to YOU: a couple of the ladies in the extended family went the lesbian route.  That doesn't bother him in the slightest because they work hard and are what he terms 'good people.' (not criminals or freeloaders)

From direct experience and posts on the net, there are a huge number of conservatives - perhaps a near majority - who are much like my father: hardworking, honest, compassionate to an extent - but also...'politically limited.'    To me, I see no real reason why that stripe of conservatism should be at such loggerheads with more leftist types. 

People don't "go the lesbian route".  It's not some fork in the road that one contemplates taking, like choosing the country scenic route or the busy urban route.  Saying it doesn't bother your father for the ladies who 'went the lesbian route' is pretty meaningless when he votes in direct opposition to their basic rights.  You can't be 'not bothered' while at the same time actively trying to thwart one's life.

From direct experience, there are a huge number of liberals - perhaps a near majority - who are extraordinarily decent and very unlike your father: hardworking, honest, compassionate - and not politically disgusting.  

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I gotta wonder if Trump started his latest twitter attacks on pro athletes so that the headlines would be about that controversy and not about the Republicans failing to get the votes for Obamacare repeal?

Lord, there someone goes again over-interpreting the racist narcissist.

Trump is only thinking about getting applause from his "base" and expressing his knee-jerk oppositional reaction to something he has no understanding of. There is no depth to this man. Other brighter people around him may use his comments in the distracting way you describe, but he is just too clueless himself to be Machiavellian about this stuff.

Trump has been attacking McCain too, so it isn't as if he is ignoring healthcare altogether.

Trump's more showy asinine behaviors, whether in tweet form or through a live Mussolini performance, are not insignificant. The President openly engaging in race baiting and espousing anti-free speech sentiments consistently is important and should be appalling to rational inividuals. Even if there is some Machiavellian design to distract people, the fact that he consistently targets minorities in his diversion tactics is worthy of discussion. While I get the rationale behind "He is distracting you from real issues!" that approach goes a long way toward normalizing Trump's behavior. We shouldn't think, "Yawn, just Trump attacking black folks, let's stay focused on bigger things."

I heard this on the local public radio station. Lo and behold, as in ye olden days of This American Life, before it turned so twee it made no sense, this program was interesting and enlightening.  It's a personal portrait of one of the many tiny alt-right groups out there with a black man's wakening to what even these 'nice' alt righters are, the Proud Boys, are. 

The whole program is worth hearing -- if only because one learns something one likely didn't know before about the history of these groups and how they are organized.

You will be able to hear it at the url below at 7 PM tonight (Sunday).

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/626/white-haze?act=1

Dante Nero has been involved in this group for years, since before it even had a name. He’s seen its evolution. And he is now deeply disturbed to learn that some members attended the Charlottesville rally, including the guy who organized it. Zoe tells Dante's story.

And you betcha! Free Speech is only for the deserving -- romperman demands that Kaepernick stfu and in the meantime keep hitting those heads hard since blacks heads only real function are to be destroyed for his fun and profit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/23/opinion/trump-curry-kaepernick-lebron.html?

But a fight with the NFL is probably something he ain't gonna win -- at this point even a lot of owners are with the players, even owners who donated bigly to his campaign --

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/sports/nfl-trump-anthem-protests.html?

Gotta hand it to romperman though -- he's got me paying attention to something about which I harbor literally zilch interest -- football! :cheers:

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

When you refuse to stand up against the Milo's of the world, you're complicit in normalizing that behavior.  Sure, he could have simply posted from Facebook, and that's another platform where protest could take place, much like massive protest took place over Twitter, where he was eventually banned.

Look, you're cool with this filth being given free unimpeded reign to say things that directly promote violence.  So it's either simple-mindedness, or you're an evil scumbag.  I'm willing to acknowledge that you probably aren't simple-minded.  

Yeah, that's totally dodging the question and once again resorting to insults instead of argument. Shame on me for bothering to ask you an honest question. At this point I'm afraid I can't make the same acknowledgement regarding you

Another alt right MEN's group in silicon valley, because you know they are being so hurt and demeaned by women's demands that men halt hurting and demeaning them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/23/technology/silicon-valley-men-backlash-gender-scandals.html?

The same arguments determined that women are unfit for the tech industries are documented in this article as we see in the "diversity pipeline" subject on this forum.  1) they're unfit and that's (alt)scientific >truth<!!!!! because they're not male; 2) diversity hurt white men and destroys them, and thus brings down the entire civilization of the world as we've always known it.

To which I repeat Dante Nero's awed realization that, "History has shown us that every time white guys are on the wrong side!  They're always wrong!  Always!"

Archived