U.S. Politics: A City Upon A Hill Has Lost It's Shine.

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I'm not particularly worried about Collins voting No, she has been opposed to everything the Republicans have put together, and has weathered the storm thus far.  Murkoski I'm still a little concerned about, since it sounds like she is just holding out for the best possible deal and I don't trust Paul at all.  So this isn't quite the death knell of the bill, but it's close. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I may have this wrong, but I heard it was reported that when asked about how he would vote a few days ago he just kept saying “We need regular order,” over and over again. Seems like the Maverick wasn’t satisfied by turtle stew.

Yeah, that was his beef the last time around. Glad to see that he seems to be sticking to his guns. I have to imagine that phonecall with the Trumpinator was like the thing that sealed the deal for him. I like to think that anyways.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that was his beef the last time around. Glad to see that he seems to be sticking to his guns. I have to imagine that phonecall with the Trumpinator was like the thing that sealed the deal for him. I like to think that anyways.

In spite of both being Republican nominees for President just 8 years apart, McCain and Trump are very different men. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

In spite of both being Republican nominees for President just 8 years apart, McCain and Trump are very different men. 

Oh yeah, I have to imagine that McCain more or less detests the man. That's the impression I get at any rate. Look at how McCain reacted to his own crowds at statements like "Obama is a Muslim". They are pretty much polar opposites in many ways. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

:rolleyes:

No dude, that’s a rather basic term. I’m looking for something super obscure, and I spent over an hour last night scrolling through the glossaries of several textbooks and couldn’t find it. The term is similar to empathy and altruism, in a sense, but also very different. It creates a spectrum where on the low end an individual has no ability to see the world through another person’s eyes and on the high end can walk in anybody’s shoes, if that makes sense.  I’m now 100% sure I picked it up in a personality psych class, but both that I took were taught by a grad student and I’m starting to wonder if it was a personal theory of his rather than an established concept.  

Affectivity?

In Soviet Russia, Facebook places ad on you!

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/351879-russian-officials-dispute-use-of-facebook-ads-to-sway-2016-election?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/We don't even know how to place an ad on Facebook? C'mon, Ivan. You're not even trying at this point.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I got to believe that most of the old guard is simply not down with what’s happening.

IDK how much it has been talked about in here honestly, but Trumps remaking of the federal justice system seems to have gone largely unnoticed, and it will have repercussions long after he is out of office and when he is eventually and thankfully dead. His nominations and appointments to federal judge and attorney positions have been made up of people not based upon competency, but for two reasons -- loyalty to Trump and fodder for hardline religious and bigoted right wing voters  and representatives.

How Jimmy Kimmel Found His Political Voice

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jimmy-kimmel-how-he-found-his-political-voice.html

The “Alaska Purchase” Is Probably Unconstitutional
Republican leaders can’t buy off Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s vote this way.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/09/republican_leaders_can_t_buy_off_sen_lisa_murkowski_s_vote_this_way.html

27 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

IDK how much it has been talked about in here honestly, but Trumps remaking of the federal justice system seems to have gone largely unnoticed, and it will have repercussions long after he is out of office and when he is eventually and thankfully dead. His nominations and appointments to federal judge and attorney positions have been made up of people not based upon competency, but for two reasons -- loyalty to Trump and fodder for hardline religious and bigoted right wing voters  and representatives.

You're right.  This will have long term unpleasant consequences.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You're right.  This will have long term unpleasant consequences.

I have been scared about this as well and I think it is one of the things that will bog us down for at least another generation, if not two

35 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

How Jimmy Kimmel Found His Political Voice

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jimmy-kimmel-how-he-found-his-political-voice.html

The “Alaska Purchase” Is Probably Unconstitutional
Republican leaders can’t buy off Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s vote this way.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/09/republican_leaders_can_t_buy_off_sen_lisa_murkowski_s_vote_this_way.html

I wonder when Kimmel throws his hat in the ring for political office. He knows a hell of a lot more about health care than Republicans. 

4 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:
8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

No dude, that’s a rather basic term. I’m looking for something super obscure, and I spent over an hour last night scrolling through the glossaries of several textbooks and couldn’t find it. The term is similar to empathy and altruism, in a sense, but also very different. It creates a spectrum where on the low end an individual has no ability to see the world through another person’s eyes and on the high end can walk in anybody’s shoes, if that makes sense.  I’m now 100% sure I picked it up in a personality psych class, but both that I took were taught by a grad student and I’m starting to wonder if it was a personal theory of his rather than an established concept.  

Affectivity?

Affinity? 

These Koch assholes want state rights, but only for conservative states. They want a strong federal government that forbids states from enacting liberal policies. 

The Graham-Cassidy health care bill would give states — instead of the federal government — significant freedom over how they operate their health care programs, generally with much less money than they get today. In theory, that means a liberal-leaning state could pursue a single-payer system or government-run insurance plan.

Heritage Action is urging congressional Republicans to block that possibility. The conservative policy advocacy group is asking the GOP to remove three provisions in Graham-Cassidy that would allow states to use their funding to pay medical providers directly, contract with managed care plans for specific groups of people and expand their Medicaid programs.

The changes would “ensure states do not use the new block grant funding to force individuals into restrictive, government-run health care programs,” Heritage Action wrote in a memo.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/22/obamacare-repeal-bill-conservatives-single-payer-243026

Conservatives fear Obamacare repeal bill could open door to single-payer care

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2017/09/how_autism_complicates_the_path_to_employment.html

The Tricky Path to Employment Is Trickier When You’re Autistic
Autistic children grow up

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

K, sorry.  Just trying to help, don't be dickish.  I think "affective" may be what you're looking for as someone else mentioned, that was my second guess, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not particularly worried about Collins voting No, she has been opposed to everything the Republicans have put together, and has weathered the storm thus far.  Murkoski I'm still a little concerned about, since it sounds like she is just holding out for the best possible deal and I don't trust Paul at all.  So this isn't quite the death knell of the bill, but it's close. 

If McCain is actually voting no, Collins and Paul definitely are.  Murkowski too in all likelihood.  There's still a week to go, which means a dude like McCain has at least a dozen changing of the minds left.

Archived