Bakker LI - The Darkness That Lies Ahead (TUC Spoilers!)

Spring Bass

16 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I know he only talks about the books for about 25 mins around 55 min mark. I plan to listen Monday night, I'll let you know. I'll skip all the other junk most likely.

Thanks!

On 9/22/2017 at 2:52 PM, Gronzag said:

I'm curious, does anyone care for any particular character in this series, the way people care for ASOIAF characters?

I did. Proyas and Achamian were the constant favorites throughout the entire series. One would be favored over the other. Akka "won" in the first trilogy. But, in the end, Proyas won. What ended up happening to him was the primary reason why I rage quit or "tapped out". I stopped caring much beyond some discussions and predictions. I know what happened with the Kellhus and the Ordeal and tbh, I was happy. 

Esmenet was "best girl" until Mimara showed up, but they both faded away for me. Sadly, that happened with Akka too. I think he and Mimara "died" when Cleric did. 

If you told me a year ago, or before TGO was released, that Bakker was doing an interview I would have been all over that. But the last two Atrocity Tales and TUC being released (not to mention the AMA) have tempered a lot of my enthusiasm for Bakker. 

8 minutes ago, Hello World said:

If you told me a year ago, or before TGO was released, that Bakker was doing an interview I would have been all over that. But the last two Atrocity Tales and TUC being released (not to mention the AMA) have tempered a lot of my enthusiasm for Bakker. 

What about the atrocity tales ?

I read the False Sun, which I LOVED! I want a Day Lantern too! I have yet to read the others. But, if the last two are as unliked as they sound, then I might end up skipping those.

As for the AMA, I was finally able to read it, and while I loved what he said about Berserk, I wasn't happy with what he said about Proyas. >:(

Bakker's surprisingly self-deprecating in the podcast about reader responses. I wish he was this humble in his online interactions.

The podcast isn't reassuring me about Bakker's transition to discovery writing for TNG. It doesn't seem like he has a clear idea of where he wants to go.

I haven't started The Unholy Consult, but I've finished all of the others. I shouldn't be here, I know, but no other thread is open that doesn't have TUC spoilers.

The question I have is: is this the last book in the entire Second Apocalypse series? I thought there was going to be another trilogy or whatever after The Aspect Emperor, but I'm not seeing any evidence for that (I don't know why I ever thought that actually). No spoilers, please.

Quote me or @ me so I get the notification...

8 minutes ago, YoungBoulheim said:

I haven't started The Unholy Consult, but I've finished all of the others. I shouldn't be here, I know, but no other thread is open that doesn't have TUC spoilers.

The question I have is: is this the last book in the entire Second Apocalypse series? I thought there was going to be another trilogy or whatever after The Aspect Emperor, but I'm not seeing any evidence for that (I don't know why I ever thought that actually). No spoilers, please.

Quote me or @ me so I get the notification...

In theory there are at least 3 more books planned. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

In theory there are at least 3 more books planned. 

What does this mean exactly? Thanks for the response, though. I was worried I was going to have to wait until tomorrow morning. This is eating me up.

5 hours ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Bakker's surprisingly self-deprecating in the podcast about reader responses. I wish he was this humble in his online interactions.

Well, that's probably because he's heard it all before already. Just from himself. Already chewed the meat off that bone, the only meat left is to actually argue the point.

18 minutes ago, YoungBoulheim said:

What does this mean exactly? Thanks for the response, though. I was worried I was going to have to wait until tomorrow morning. This is eating me up.

Short DRII is tired answer: There is no publisher and he has no plan or outline for what the next series will be about.

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

According to Bakker he's begun writing the third trilogy, but he hasn't mapped it out as long ahead or as thoroughly as the TPoN and TAE, which he's had the idea for since college. There's also no deal in place with the publisher, so fans aren't sure if they're going to come out of Overlook, a different publisher, if he's going to self-publish, run a kickstarter, etc. There's a lot of speculation out there atm and it seems like nobody's sure what's going to happen, but he has released a title for the first book. It's called (don't open if you haven't finished TUC),

Reveal hidden contents

Pounded in the Butt by the Four-Horned Brother, as Represented by the Nihilistic Angst of Bakker's Ill-Considered Reddit AMA

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'm so tempted to click that... I can't though.

How long ago did Bakker decide he was going to do more past TAE?

4 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

No one listen to that podcasteroni yet?

I did, although the volume issues were a bit annoying.

There are some very interesting tidbits in there.  Having actually read Jaynes' Origins of Consciousness on a whim years ago, it's always neat to hear people (who are smarter than me) discuss it.  I am not sure where Bakker mentioned it before, but likening the Gods (and the Darkness) to an unconscious mind, where Eärwa itself is the conscious manifestation of such is very interesting to me.  I lack the real deep understanding to fashion something of that really.

It is interesting though, because I've been looking more into Blood Meridian and there are "literary analyses" the point to McCarthy using the idea, "that we don't live in the world, but a linguistic model of the world."  I find this interesting in the context of Eärwa's sorcery, being a linguistic remodeling of the world.  This also explains something of why the Psûhke leaves no Mark.  "Matching the timber of God's voice" is the working of the non-cognitive, i.e. pre-lingusitic, method of thought.  In this way, it is indeed "akin" to the God's work.

This also might explain why we tend to find something of "evidence" that Eärwa is a simulation.  Eärwa is, in a way. a model of a mind, divided between the Outside and Eärwa itself, the same as a mind would be divided between unconscious (System One) and consciousness (System Two).  The No-God's existence as a "System Zero" raises some interesting questions there, but I don't know I have the right words, or the correct understanding to fully fit that into this though.

Archived