Summer Bass

Bakker LI - The Darkness That Lies Ahead (TUC Spoilers!)

277 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Hello World said:

The PoN Serwe, Kellhus's first wife. By the way, does anyone know where that quote is from because I can't find it. I found a lot of references to it on both forums though...

I think we just all keep repeating the same misquote of this:

But it was the innocence part, that struck me as the most significant and the most redemptive. Without giving too much away, there is a manner in which Serwe is the most important character in the book.

Most people shake their head when I say that... Hell, even I shake my head.

Kellhus is an inversion of 'the Young Man who would be King.' My UK editor calls him the 'Anti-Frodo.' He is of course, far more than that besides.

Cnaiur is the All-conquering Barbarian (who cannot conquer himself).

Achamian is the Wise Sorcerer (who continually fools himself).

Which is a quote from the old-old Three-Seas board.  Not sure who mistakenly used the word cipher first, for all I know it could have been me.

35 minutes ago, .H. said:

I think we just all keep repeating the same misquote of this:

Which is a quote from the old-old Three-Seas board.  Not sure who mistakenly used the word cipher first, for all I know it could have been me.

Bakker did say she was an "important cipher in the books" as well.

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1716.msg27721#msg27721

Serwe's ignorance and innocence might support Koringhus' logic about weakness being advantage when it comes to salvation. Unfortunately, Kellhus argued to Proyas that she's damned. There's no way to verify his statement, though.

And she is apparently in hell anyway. :( I didn't even care for her that much, but how she ended up was sad.

Really A: I should take notes on questions to ask and B: Pester the guy for another AMA, despite how dreaded that is. I kinda feel silly not to have done A before the last AMA, but to be honest I couldn't think of a main pressing question.

I don't think Esme is saved due to her ignorance.  Kellhus might be correct in that ignorance is something God likes, but I think his answer that Intercession actually works and can be used to save even sorcerers is more revealing.  Esme has a clear intercessory agent in Mimara or Jesus.

8 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

I don't think Esme is saved due to her ignorance.  Kellhus might be correct in that ignorance is something God likes, but I think his answer that Intercession actually works and can be used to save even sorcerers is more revealing.  Esme has a clear intercessory agent in Mimara or Jesus.

I won't say I disagree. I think it's quite clear that their is no rhyme or reason why the God might save somebody.

Finished the book a couple days ago, and then afterwards 60+ pages of TUC threads including the AMApocalypse, but I still think I like TUC overall. 

Has anyone else been listening to the series via audiobook? I feel like the narrator has done a pretty decent job of giving things an epic feeling and managing to pull off most of the purple prose (and well, he tried his best with the Serwa/dragon fight). 

Speaking of, do people think Serwa is dead? I got the impression she was dead from the book but I guess it's not 100% confirmed. I'd like her to stick around as I think it would be interesting to get a POV from one of the superkids after the failure of the father who had been the center of their world and seemed so infallible. 

Edited by aimlessgun

6 hours ago, aimlessgun said:

Speaking of, do people think Serwa is dead? I got the impression she was dead from the book but I guess it's not 100% confirmed. I'd like her to stick around as I think it would be interesting to get a POV from one of the superkids after the failure of the father who had been the center of their world and seemed so infallible. 

Yeah, Serwa is decidedly not dead.  Now, it's undetermined if she is bound to die in the next series due to the complications from what happened, or what, so we'll just have to wait and see.  Bakker has admitted he isn't 100% sure exactly which direction he is going to take the story, so it really could go either way.

Is there a realistic chance of The No God being published? 

I was disapointed with TUC, and the Aspect Emperor in general tbh (I loved parts, The Slog, Ishterebinth) but I think I would still read another series.

I would just hope it was more PON than AE.

But doesnt he have a lot of issues with publication?

2 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

I was disapointed with TUC, and the Aspect Emperor in general tbh (I loved parts, The Slog, Ishterebinth) but I think I would still read another series.

I would just hope it was more PON than AE.

But doesnt he have a lot of issues with publication?

That certainly depends on how you want to operationalize "realistic" and "a lot of issues" though.

I there is there is close to zero chance that if Bakker writes TNG series, it would not get published by anyone.  At worst, it takes a while, it gets shopped around a bunch and we wait extra long, or Bakker bites the proverbial bullet and self-publishes or crowd-funds it.  I simply can't imagine, with the amount of books that get published on a daily basis that TNG could not be publishable at all.  Like, there are books out there about having sex with the Loch Ness monster, but TNG would be unpublishable?  I'm skeptical.

4 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

Yes.  But if Overlook doesn't want to pick him up, I imagine the any new publisher would want him to retool the next set of book to work as a stand-alone trilogy for new readers unless they buy the rights to his back catalogue. 

I was under the impression that a lot of the reported publishing issues were minor things that get overblown through the internet grapevine or just plain false rumors started by angry fans who don't like the covers/etc.

At the very least, we did get TUC. Because I still remember the days  when people were arguing that TWOW would come out before TUC. And that was before TGO was released... By the way, is there any news on TWOW? :P

Edited by Hello World

3 hours ago, .H. said:

Like, there are books out there about having sex with the Loch Ness monster, but TNG would be unpublishable?  I'm skeptical.

Is that a Chuck Tingle thing?

3 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Is that a Chuck Tingle thing?

Vivian St Black! Best author of this century!

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Vivian St Black! Best author of this century!

Some would argue best of the millennium, even.