Will the Others destroy King's Landing in the books or the show?

Free folk Daemon

I think cersei will blow it up somehow. Whether it will be in defense against the others or against dany is another story. Personally I think it will go like this.

The others are defeated first  then dany and friends go south to defeat cersei. I think that you need to remember that in game of thrones (especially the books) winter is considered death in many ways. So snow falling might mean death.

Someone correct me if I'm not recalling, but I do believe there's some Chekhov's wildfire waiting to become relevant. 

If we look at the traditional symbolism of towers, they act as paths to the heavens or their tops represent the heavens themselves. When Cersei  burned down the Tower of the Hand and had the fire reflecting in her eye, it was a symbolic act of denying that gods and claiming power for herself. On a smaller scale, the two previous Hands were her brother and father, who she begrudged for holding power that she felt she deserved. More than catharsis, this was a symbolic usurpation.

I think that theme may continue to play out, in which case the Sept is definitely a target, as well as anything else that represents a power greater than herself.

Interesting side note: I like how the Maggy the Frog prophecy shows up here, too, as if destroying the Tower of the Hand could forestall the hand prophesied to strangle her.

Archived