Elements in ASoIaF

falcotron

8 hours ago, falcotron said:

It's interesting to try to look at these ideas from a pre-scientific conception.

But that probably isn't actually true. The Others probably aren't any colder than the ice and mists around them, and the Long Night probably is just the absence of sunlight.

It might be interesting to consider the effects of, real world, Sami, or of Canadian Indigenous Peoples.

They are the "Wildlings" or the "free folk" or whatever...

@Falcotron I've pm'd you...

I have read some of that thread Alaskan Sandman and I think you might be onto something. I can definitely sense some connection between skin changers and dragon bonding, even if maybe they aren't parallels but mirrors. I'm not sure. Im not sure. It's definitely worth exploring and you make some strong associations. I wish I had more time tonight! I'll leave off with two thoughts I had while reading that thread. I wouldn't want Drogon anywhere near the bedroom if I was Daario and wasn't the Ned beheaded at or near the same time as the birth? If Jon were to be a dragon rider I always had him on Viserion the White. 

46 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I have read some of that thread Alaskan Sandman and I think you might be onto something. I can definitely sense some connection between skin changers and dragon bonding, even if maybe they aren't parallels but mirrors. I'm not sure. Im not sure. It's definitely worth exploring and you make some strong associations. I wish I had more time tonight! I'll leave off with two thoughts I had while reading that thread. I wouldn't want Drogon anywhere near the bedroom if I was Daario and wasn't the Ned beheaded at or near the same time as the birth? If Jon were to be a dragon rider I always had him on Viserion the White. 

I'm not so sure. Alaskan Sandman might be considering the life-cycle of Salmon, which is quite complex - I'm not sure there is a direct correspondence here, unless it is in regards to the Eagles album, Desperado which is unfortunate since it is totally irrelevant...

More problematically is of Dany and Daario - can you imagine Drogon on the backside of the bed while Dany and Daario get it on? I can't!

1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

It might be interesting to consider the effects of, real world, Sami, or of Canadian Indigenous Peoples.

I honestly have no idea what the Sami view on elements is, or fire or ice. From the little I know of them, they seemed more interested in the individual spirit in each object (which their noaidi, or their still-present dead family members, could talk to directly) than in what it was made of. And I know even less about Canadian myths.

But I'm not sure there's that much Sami or Canadian in the Wildlings.* Most of GRRM's cultures are based on mixing at least two things together, but here I think the two things are just classical-era Picts and early-modern Scottish Highlanders. They're just the North but moreso.

1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

I'm not sure there is a direct correspondence here, unless it is in regards to the Eagles album, Desperado which is unfortunate since it is totally irrelevant...

Well, the Sami, like the other Uralic people, seem to be traditionally very interested in eagles, and in songs, but I'm not sure that would extend to Don Henley and Glenn Frey, any more than their bear cult would affect their beliefs on whether Mike Ditka could singlehandedly beat 11 giants.

---

* On the other hand, what the Sami represent to the Finns is pretty interesting, at least assuming Pohjola is based on the Sami. You've got a far-northern land of darkness, with a Land of Always Winter (Pimentola) that even the shapechanging humans who rule most of the land are afraid of…

5 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

Would look forward to any thought expressed in there as some other people in the thread may enjoy your thoughts or ideas too. :)

4 hours ago, Wild Bill said:

I'm not so sure. Alaskan Sandman might be considering the life-cycle of Salmon, which is quite complex - I'm not sure there is a direct correspondence here, unless it is in regards to the Eagles album, Desperado which is unfortunate since it is totally irrelevant...

More problematically is of Dany and Daario - can you imagine Drogon on the backside of the bed while Dany and Daario get it on? I can't!

5 hours ago, Wild Bill said:

@Falcotron I've pm'd you...

Im unfamiliar with this! Any quick links i can check out?

4 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Would look forward to any thought expressed in there as some other people in the thread may enjoy your thoughts or ideas too. :)

Im unfamiliar with this! Any quick links i can check out?

Just check out Wikipedia. I was in a... joking mood when I posted.

Though Falcotron with his Ditka and #11 reference is priceless and much better than my humour. ;)

Archived