Baelish at Riverun

krackensbane

How on earth did a very minor lord manage to get his son fostered at Riverun?

Every indication points to Lord Hoster Tully being as important before Roberts rebellion as after, there doesnt appear to be the title 'warden of the middle' but thats the impression i get of the Tullys and Riverun. Littlefinger was hier to a tiny insignificant spit of land which sounded incredibly gloomy when littlefinger and sansa landed there before travelling on to the vale. I dont recall ever hearing anything about Littlefingers parents but it seems very unlikely that they were in a position to have littlefinger fostered somewhere as prestigious as Riverun. I also dont recall hearing about any other wards at Riverun so was he also the only one? surely you would get your son fostered somewhere in the vale if you were from the fingers? 

This all seems very odd to me.

I have vague memories of there being some soldiery frontline friendship between the Original Baelish (Petyr's grandpa? his father?) and the Tully's dating to the VIth (or was it Vth?) Blackfyre Rebellion aka War of the Stepstones.

Hmm - that was around 260AC, so it could be Petyr's da.

Hence fostering Petyr Baelish at Riverrun was an act of goodwill towards an old buddy from the army.

But I could be wrong ...

The whole history of House Baelish is suspect in my view. The only source for this story is Petyr himself, although I'm sure it would be corroborated by one or more Corbreys, one of whom has already been shown to be a co-conspirator.

Even his name is iffy. Baelish, as in like Bael (the Bard, the guy who winkled a Stark daughter out of Winterfell). From what we've gleaned of Braavosi family names, none uses the ae digraph that is a common element among Targaryen given names.

I half suspect that by the end of the series we'll learn the true background of Lord Petyr and it won't even be remotely close to the story we've heard so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, John Suburbs said:

I half suspect that by the end of the series we'll learn the true background of Lord Petyr and it won't even be remotely close to the story we've heard so far.

Please do not say you think he is a secret Targ. I have had my fill of those theories.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, John Suburbs said:

No, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a Reyne or a Castamere, or perhaps even a Blackfyre.

You mean a Tarbeck, because the Renyes were of Castamere. 

Speaking of Baelish, I think he needn't have caused a continent-wide civil war. I think he should have focused all his anger on Hoster Tully, since Hoster didn't think that Petyr was worthy of Catelyn and arranged that match with Brandon Stark, leading to Petyr's injuries when he challenged him to a duel. Anyways, it's what I'd do if I was in Petyr's position and the same thing happened: hire someone to poison Hoster or shoot him in the head with an arrow, then hire a prostitute to slit Edmure's throat. No need to start a war, just scale the trout. 

"You are familiar with Schubert's work? The Trout is my favorite piece. A fisherman grows weary of trying to catch an elusive fish. So he muddies the water, confuses the fish. It does not realize until too late that it has swum into a trap."

Archived