Should HBO make a space opera after they are done with GOT?

NickGOT456

Star Trek is back! Syfy has returned to space with The Expanse.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. Star Wars broke box office records. Jupiter Ascending and Valerian bombed.

No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda have disappointed gamers.

The space opera resurgence or revival happened and it was nothing spectacular.

So once GOT is done with would you be interested to see what HBO can do with this genre?

Late last year it was announced that HBO had a development deal with J.J. Abrams about a science fiction series tenatively titled "Glare", apparently dealing with the colonization of another planet. No idea where that is at, but obviously HBO has been thinking about it.

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

@KiDisaster,

ALTERED CARBON on Netflix is as close as you're going to get right now, I think.

Oh yeah I forgot that was happening. Good book, couldn't get into the sequel though. 

I think the time is pretty right for some good, new cyberpunk, what with the actual world trending toward corporate dystopia and a new wave of automation and artificial intelligence on the way. Could really capture the collective imagination.

55 minutes ago, Ran said:

Only a matter of time before there's a Star Wars TV series.

I'm assuming you mean live action there and aren't just forgetting Clone Wars and Rebels.

Anyway, if HBO were to adapt an existing piece they should go for Revelation Space. Although I always wanted a film series by Guillermo Del Toro out of that.

Someone ought to do Dune justice.

Also, I wish there was a quality tv show about Alexander the Great's life, parents, etc. It's honestly like something out of fiction, full of bigger than life characters and always fails as a film because there's simply too much to squeeze in. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Since if those aren't the space opera show Astromech is looking for, he must want something live action. There's also all sorts of anime space opera, come to think of it

A serialized tv show like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon would be great, But I really want an actual opera in space. If Lin Manuel Miranda can set Hamilton to song and dance, he, or someone else, could probably do something similar for a sci-fi. Maybe something Wagnerian.

You might be interested in clipping.'s album Splendor & Misery, which was nominated for a Hugo Award (best dramatic presentation, short form). Not an opera, but has a story. I don't think we're likely to see a science fiction TV/film musical any time soon, but what do I know? But when you mention Wagnerian, I instantly think of Donaldson's Gap series, which is fairly heavily indebted to Wagner's Ring Cycle.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

You might be interested in clipping.'s album Splendor & Misery, which was nominated for a Hugo Award (best dramatic presentation, short form). Not an opera, but has a story.

Not a very clear story, though. It's good, but not entirely to my taste.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I don't think we're likely to see a science fiction TV/film musical any time soon, but what do I know?

They should get the Galavant crew to make one!

6 hours ago, Ran said:

You might be interested in clipping.'s album Splendor & Misery, which was nominated for a Hugo Award (best dramatic presentation, short form). Not an opera, but has a story. I don't think we're likely to see a science fiction TV/film musical any time soon, but what do I know? But when you mention Wagnerian, I instantly think of Donaldson's Gap series, which is fairly heavily indebted to Wagner's Ring Cycle.

Thanks for the rec.

5 hours ago, felice said:

Not a very clear story, though. It's good, but not entirely to my taste.

They should get the Galavant crew to make one!

That would be excellent!

Considering the current fad for remakes of anything older than 10 years, why not go back and redo some shows that had great potential.  First off imagine what Farscape could be if a proper amount of money was earmarked. Here was a cast of really cool characters that cried out for more development. 

Firefly could be given a second chance to realize its potential. Even the Stargate franchise could be given a reboot and made more relevant and interesting.

Anything that brings back Claudia Black would be fine with me too.

I'd love to see more in the Farscape or Firefly universes, but I definitely think they should make them sequels with new characters and stories, probably with cameos from some original cast, rather than reboots.

For Farscape, I'd definitely want them to keep with the physical effects and creatures for as much as they could.  CGI is vastly better than it ever has been before, but the Jim Henson creatures feel so integral to what made Farscape special, I don't think it would be Farscape without them.

4 hours ago, DivisionByZero said:

I'd love to see more in the Farscape or Firefly universes, but I definitely think they should make them sequels with new characters and stories, probably with cameos from some original cast, rather than reboots.

No, definitely not reboots; the existing versions are too good. But Farscape in particular I think is so character-based that it really needs multiple original cast members back as regulars; the universe it's set in isn't all that well defined, so doesn't suit spinoffs with new characters in the same way something like Star Trek does. Otherwise, just make something entirely new in a Farscapey style instead of being beholden to the existing continuity.

4 hours ago, DivisionByZero said:

For Farscape, I'd definitely want them to keep with the physical effects and creatures for as much as they could.

Absolutely!

Star Wars: Rebels is legitimately a very good space opera show. It's basically Firefly in the Star Wars universe, which is great.

HBO has optioned Foundation with Jonathan Nolan but it's on the backburner, as Nolan is committed to Westworld for the next few years. I have no idea how you'd turn Foundation into a coherent TV show and I really think it's aged terribly. You could do something with Hari Seldon, the start of the fall of the Empire and so on, but it'd be an odd show.

The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is screaming out for a TV adaptation and would fit HBO's requirements to a T. Post-GoT, I think it's perfectly doable on a reasonable budget as well, since the most expensive stuff won't be the CG but the location filming in a jungle. They could tweak that (the river is more important than the jungle, so could film it on the Mississippi instead) and since that's only for the first book/two seasons, they could move away from that pretty quickly. I know someone has optioned the Commonwealth Saga instead, but to me that seems a much tougher story to adapt to a TV format, whilst Night's Dawn has the multi-POV, clearer through-line like GoT has.

I'd be up for a reboot of Blake's 7, which would work brilliantly well today (even moreso than when it was made).

The current Babylon 5 rewatch has confirmed for me that it would be acceptable now to remake the show. I was trying to get two of my friends, who are massive SFF fans, to watch it but they couldn't get past the dated aesthetics (compared to other shows from the same time period), low budget and the variable acting from almost everyone who isn't a main castmember or the guest star of the week. As much as I love B5 Mk. I, I think doing it again with a modern budget could be a good idea. The central concept and idea remains incredible.

Someone ought to do Dune justice.

Dune is the next project for Denis Villeneuve, the director of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

Since if those aren't the space opera show Astromech is looking for, he must want something live action. There's also all sorts of anime space opera, come to think of it

A live-action Cowboy Bebop is in the planning stages, I believe, but not greenlit yet.

As much as I'd love for HBO to partake in the space/scifi genre... having The Expanse in my life makes it much less urgent... it's a shame that since CBS own showtime, that they did not chose to put the new star trek series there... showtime is not as good as HBO... but still they'd be able to write a grittier show.

Archived