Should HBO make a space opera after they are done with GOT?

NickGOT456

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

HBO has optioned Foundation with Jonathan Nolan but it's on the backburner, as Nolan is committed to Westworld for the next few years. I have no idea how you'd turn Foundation into a coherent TV show and I really think it's aged terribly. You could do something with Hari Seldon, the start of the fall of the Empire and so on, but it'd be an odd show.

I'm not sure that either HBO or Nolan are still involved at this point. I found a few articles like this one from June which seem to indicate that it's in the hands of something called Skydance Television and some people named David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman (I've never heard of any of the above). The article also ends ambiguously saying, " For its part, Skydance would not comment, but I am confident it is all coming together" and I can't find anything more recent or concrete, so who knows what's going on. Completely agree that I'm not sure how it would work for a TV show. 

10 hours ago, Thoughtful Jake said:

I don't know how they'd do it but Hyperion would be a great adaptation.

SyFy's been working on an adaptation of that for a few years now, with Bradley Cooper of all people at the helm (I guess he's a big Hyperion fan). Haven't heard any updates on it's status in a while, though.

That's interesting. HBO actually bought out the existing option that Roland Emmerich had, which cost them a lot of money. I'd be surprised if they'd let the rights go so easily.

1 hour ago, matt b said:

I'm not sure that either HBO or Nolan are still involved at this point. I found a few articles like this one from June which seem to indicate that it's in the hands of something called Skydance Television and some people named David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman (I've never heard of any of the above). The article also ends ambiguously saying, " For its part, Skydance would not comment, but I am confident it is all coming together" and I can't find anything more recent or concrete, so who knows what's going on. Completely agree that I'm not sure how it would work for a TV show.

Skydance are a movie studio primarily. They're quite new to TV. Presumably whatever the project is doesn't have a network yet.

You might not have registered Goyer's name but you're almost definitely familiar with his work: he's been writer on co-writer on all the Blades (and directed the third), Dark City, Nolan's Batman films, and much of the current DC universe. He also showran that Da Vinci's Demons tv show.

All in all, despite some great work on the list, it's not an especially promising appointment, especially were he to showrun, but he could do well. 

On 29/09/2017 at 9:32 PM, felice said:

No, definitely not reboots; the existing versions are too good. But Farscape in particular I think is so character-based that it really needs multiple original cast members back as regulars; the universe it's set in isn't all that well defined, so doesn't suit spinoffs with new characters in the same way something like Star Trek does. Otherwise, just make something entirely new in a Farscapey style instead of being beholden to the existing continuity.

Absolutely!

At this point they could do a legitimate "Farscape - the next generation" with the kid now a young man and probably caught up in some "key to the galaxy" type scenario. It'd be great to see some of the original actors/puppets back as mentors or guest stars. I'd be fascinated to see how Crichton would be after spending as much of his adult life in space as on earth for instance. Also given how GOTG basically took Farscape's approach and made it into a film - I think there'd be an audience for a Farscape like show back on air.

I think HBO is wise not to plunge into a space opera just yet. There's been a general hesitance towards the genre for about a decade. The Expanse is great but it's not really setting viewing figures alight and I've yet to hear people at work discussing what happened on last week's episode. Most the people I know are unaware of its existence. I'm sure HBO is keeping a very close eye on how STD(giggle) fares and it it's a hit they might consider.

I think shows like "Altered Carbon" and "Lazarus" have more chance of catching on as SF shows though. One is essentially a noir detective show and the other has a lot of the elements that make fantasy work but in a SF setting. HBO has "Westworld" and I get the impression these shows are more buzzworthy than space opera. You pretty much need the brand recognition of star wars or trek to get people on board. Isn't it the same in general with books at the moment where Fantasy massively outsells SF?

I'm not that well read in space opera. In terms of HBO trying to get a GOT style hit then Dune would have probably fit.

Ian MacDonald's "Luna" isn't space opera (in the sprawling sense) but it has enough sex, violence and warring families to have HBO producers salivating at the opportunity to adapt it. I haven't read the second book yet but I'm surprised the rights haven't been snapped up by one of the cable channels as it screams adaptaion by a show that likes the sex and violence.

And Hyperion would have been a great miniseries for HBO. 7 (can't remember how many pilgrims there were) episodic stories and an additional episode or two for the non recollection aspects. It is a shame that Syfy has it and it appears to be stuck in development hell.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Ian MacDonald's "Luna" isn't space opera (in the sprawling sense) but it has enough sex, violence and warring families to have HBO producers salivating at the opportunity to adapt it. I haven't read the second book yet but I'm surprised the rights haven't been snapped up by one of the cable channels as it screams adaptaion by a show that likes the sex and violence.

I remember there was announcement about the time the first book was released that one of the big US networks was intending to adapt it, but I haven't heard anything about it recently. I agree that one of the cable or streaming services would seem to suite it better than a traditional network.

I think shows like "Altered Carbon" and "Lazarus" have more chance of catching on as SF shows though. One is essentially a noir detective show and the other has a lot of the elements that make fantasy work but in a SF setting. HBO has "Westworld" and I get the impression these shows are more buzzworthy than space opera. You pretty much need the brand recognition of star wars or trek to get people on board. Isn't it the same in general with books at the moment where Fantasy massively outsells SF?

I have no idea about sales figures of fantasy vs SF at the mo, but in terms of screen, exactly the same was true of fantasy until GoT broke through- before that, the only mega-successful screen adaps were Harry Potter and LotR which had the weight of the two best selling book series of all time behind them, and making anything beyond that was a risky business risking getting trapped in the ol' geek ghetto. In fact considering even the existence of Star Wars and Trek you'd think space opera has a much better history of creating screen fanbases from nothing than epic fantasy does.

I reckon a show in the style of the BSG reboot made right now on one of the prestige networks would have a huge chance of hooking a GoT crowd. The problem The Expanse has is it's not on one of those, it's on Syfy (after years of them deliberately pushing away their core audience, no less).

CBS optioned the rights last year.

ETA: Oh, two years ago.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I reckon a show in the style of the BSG reboot made right now on one of the prestige networks would have a huge chance of hooking a GoT crowd. The problem The Expanse has is it's not on one of those, it's on Syfy (after years of them deliberately pushing away their core audience, no less).

The Expanse and BSG would have benefitted from the exposure of HBO. I think the expanse fares better via the netflix distribution.

I can remember when Starz! was developing a sci-fi show with the creators of "spartacus". It's a shame that never saw the light of day.

I think AMC could do a good SF show. They wouldn't be able to hide behind sex scenes and torture so may focus on content.

I guess one plus for any cable network and their choice of show is how much merchandise they can sell with it. I'm sure GOT and walking dead make a lot off that.

Archived