Anyone watching "The Orville"?

Ser Scot A Ellison

5 hours ago, boojam said:

I only watched one episode of this program and it did not pull me in.

I'd say you owe it to yourself to keep it on your mind. Just maybe next time you have an hour to burn you'll give the 2nd one a try.

Have watched four episodes so far and as a TNG fan I'm surprisingly pleased. It's a bit like watching an extra season of TNG that somehow tried to be comedy. Of course so far it tends to copy old Star Trek episodes and ends up being rather predictable, but it still manages to convey the TNG feel somehow. Not bad. I even had to check whether it wasn't Spiner voicing Isaac because at times it felt like they had Data on the bridge...

15 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Have watched four episodes so far and as a TNG fan I'm surprisingly pleased. It's a bit like watching an extra season of TNG that somehow tried to be comedy. Of course so far it tends to copy old Star Trek episodes and ends up being rather predictable, but it still manages to convey the TNG feel somehow. Not bad. I even had to check whether it wasn't Spiner voicing Isaac because at times it felt like they had Data on the bridge...

Well, Data, if Data were more smug and assholish.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, Data, if Data were more smug and assholish.

Smug yes, unrestrained as well. But Isaac isn't much of an asshole, it is always clear that he means well.

But just like Rippounet, I had to look up the actor of Isaac as well. In some scenes when Isaac's curiosity takes over his thinking, he suddenly sounds exactly like Brent Spiner. Which is a good thing!

For some reason that felt more like an episode of Sliders than any of Star Trek. Especially this "Screw this, we are just trying to get out of this insane world" mentality, but also the oddly polished 21st century sets.

I found it really hard to watch at times, but oddly not because the dialogue sucked (props to MacFarlane, this one was really well written!), instead because it creeped me out so much. It was a powerful and topical episode and I found it especially telling how easy (even if a bit too fast) the heroes were able to rig the system by hacking social media and fill it with fake stories. Like holy social commentary Batman, that was on point!

22 minutes ago, Toth said:

For some reason that felt more like an episode of Sliders than any of Star Trek. Especially this "Screw this, we are just trying to get out of this insane world" mentality, but also the oddly polished 21st century sets.

I found it really hard to watch at times, but oddly not because the dialogue sucked (props to MacFarlane, this one was really well written!), instead because it creeped me out so much. It was a powerful and topical episode and I found it especially telling how easy (even if a bit too fast) the heroes were able to rig the system by hacking social media and fill it with fake stories. Like holy social commentary Batman, that was on point!

So far I think this was my favorite episode.

8 hours ago, Toth said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was creeped out a bit.  There was a reference made during the episode to something being a fact because enough people upvoted it.  Very similiar to what happens on Facebook almost every day.

49 minutes ago, Fiddler said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was creeped out a bit.  There was a reference made during the episode to something being a fact because enough people upvoted it.  Very similiar to what happens on Facebook almost every day.

... yeah, Isaac's obervation that this people mistakes opinions for facts hit really close to home...

10 hours ago, Toth said:

I found it really hard to watch at times, but oddly not because the dialogue sucked (props to MacFarlane, this one was really well written!), instead because it creeped me out so much.

We half-thought we might have put on an episode of Black Mirror by mistake, until the opening credits came up.

seems the UK is getting the US treatment of Discovery with this show as there still doesn't appear to be a legitimate way of watching the orville over here. Although I've heard Fox will start showing it at some point.

Odd how the Orville's stand in for klingons have inadvertently wound up looking like the albino klingon in Discovery.

3 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I don't think that enough people will give this enough effort to truly understand this show... On the surface it just loks like another medium budget sci fi show... damn that was a great episode.

Yeah, I almost feel like I have to claim this show as a guilty pleasure given the reaction I get from friends when I recommend it.

"Really? That Seth McFarland thing?"

On 29/10/2017 at 4:58 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I don't think that enough people will give this enough effort to truly understand this show... On the surface it just loks like another medium budget sci fi show... damn that was a great episode.

It might be that people are watching it but don't like admitting it? I know his cartoons get a lot of flak and tend to trigger harsh responses when admitting watching them.

Although it sounds like it's not the same humour/style so maybe those who would check it out have quickly lost interest while those who'd maybe enjoy it aren't giving it a chance because they think it'll be crass, offensive and a bit loose in plot.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:05 PM, Toth said:

I thought it captured the best of the classic eposodes where Trek went all anachronistic...the Gangsters episode of TOS, the Voyager twonparter where they go back to 1996...all really good.

It will be interesting how the humor continues to he used, as it does seem to be falling by the wayside, or being used as more of an aside...

Archived