Anyone watching "The Orville"?

Ser Scot A Ellison

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would have been a pretty good Halloween episode.  

Ha!... I didn't even think of that....

This was an OK episode... but I always hated the "holodeck" ST episodes (Sherlock Holmes, yuck)... they all just seemed implausible to me (you can't shut it off... really?)... and a forced scenario to create a circumstance that --at the end of the episode-- can be reset.....

May be its me, but I prefer this show when it behaves more like South Park, and holds a mirror up to our society ... and just how dumb we can all be... Of course, the Orville doesn;t have the luxury of South park's turnaround schedule... and by the time they're ready to air,  whatever they may be lampooning could be out of the public spotlight.... but the "trial by public opinion" episode was fantastic...

• 2 weeks later...

Jace just watched episode 10 and she loves it! I mean, I I think I just watched it. A couple of parts were extremely familiar and I knew certain plot points in advance so I think I might have watched some of this episode while extremely fucked up, but either way I loved it!

Could have been better about the you-know-what at the end, but it's okay. I know this is super conceited, but I really wish I worked on this show 'cause I think it's so in line with me that there are little things I might be able to contribute to make it better. I've never really felt like I could say that before, so that's pretty cool.

12 minutes ago, Fiddler said:

I even expected something to happen, but when it did, I lost my shit.  The way Bortus and Klyden cheered was great.

That was great, also laughed when Mercer was caught by the Admiral when he thought she had signed off.

I'm only through episode ten, but the humor has fallen incredibly flat as far as I'm concerned.  Rob Lowe is always funny when he's being smarmy, so those bits worked.  And I loved the warnings in Firestorm when a killer clown was suspected to be on the loose.

But I don't really find the anachronisms very amusing, at least not as executed.

I loved the finale, baked as a Jace tends to be on a Monday night when Jay Cutler made her heart beat like the drums in the deep. The hot potato game somehow worked, because of McFarland's all-in brand of humor, and in general I thought the episode was great. IF I had to gripe, I'd say that sometimes the tone is still confused. Kelly and McFarland calling it off can be sad, but it needs to be a far lighter affair than what we saw.

I'd give the season a very nice 7/10 space laughs.

I must admit, I was incredibly glad that they seem to have finally buried that "my ex is my first officer storyline". A tedious repetition of them getting back together and breaking up again surely would have ruined the series. I also find it kinda odd, didn't the zoo episode already establish that they drive each other mad when living together? Pheromone or not, that should have already been reason enough to abandon that silly idea of Mercer's.

To the episode itself... well, it felt an awful lot like a fusion of TNG's "Who Watches the Watchers" and Voyager's "Blink of an Eye". Both are among my favourites and amazing episodes in itself. Seeing them mashed together however... somewhat fell flat.

The major strength of "Who Watches the Watchers" was that the medieval Mintakans weren't portrayed as dumb as dirt idiots who blindly worship whatever they see, but that the breach of the Prime Directive was resolved by Picard... just talking to them on equal grounds. Knowing that people in the past are just as much people as we are today, it was just nice to see the episode ending with the Enterprise crew and the medieval townspeople just sitting together and chatting about the future. Here this fell flat, mostly due to the severe time constraints thanks to the phase shift, but also because this little meeting just had ridiculously overblown consequences that felt out of place. The child barely caught a glimpse upon Kelly and yet 700 years later there are exact statues getting all the details on her uniform straight that make them capable of recognizing Kelly on sight? The hell? In a lot of ways, these people acted less like a real civilization and more like strawmen of superstition, something the TNG episode refrained from. Even though the Orville episode forced itself to a "religion isn't a bad thing, despite all the murder and shit" message while TNG was infamously just sneering at it. I did however like how the pope was murdered and him having gotten convinced didn't change shit, that was at least a good realistic counter to the naiviety of the crew.

The Voyager episode was mostly so amazing because I really, really want the data the Voyager collected. Seriously, I would kill for that chance! Watching this planet's civilizations grow in real time with snippets of each era looking up into the sky was just incredibly humbling. Here the Orville was barely able to observe anything other than those short glimpses, only Isaac (whose mission was clearly inspired by the Doctor's adventures) was granted the ability to do so and we didn't hear of any of his marvels. What a bloody shame...

It was not a bad episode per se, but the previous ones which were obviously inspired by Star Trek episodes were always capable to bring something new to the table. Here it was just... pure copy-pase that ended up in a somewhat disappointing collage.

Really liked this finale. The whole romance thing was boring as f**k though and threatened to overshadow the much more interesting central plot. And sure, this was all about the prime directive, which made it quite predictable, but it was still very entertaining and uplifting.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, Toth said:

Even though the Orville episode forced itself to a "religion isn't a bad thing, despite all the murder and shit" message while TNG was infamously just sneering at it.

I dunno. To me, the episode clearly said that religion is basically a primitive thing that must be overcome through reason.

12 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I dunno. To me, the episode clearly said that religion is basically a primitive thing that must be overcome through reason.

The attitudes of most characters clearly was like that, true. But I was thinking about that fancy cyberfuture woman who clearly held a speech about how religion is not a mistake and would have found a way into their culture with or without Kelly and that it was important for them.

I was just thinking that the way she framed it was likely intended as a crowd-pleaser. Something "Who watches the watchers" didn't do, it had Picards "darkness and superstition" rant and left it at that.

11 minutes ago, Toth said:

The attitudes of most characters clearly was like that, true. But I was thinking about that fancy cyberfuture woman who clearly held a speech about how religion is not a mistake and would have found a way into their culture with or without Kelly and that it was important for them.

I was just thinking that the way she framed it was likely intended as a crowd-pleaser. Something "Who watches the watchers" didn't do, it had Picards "darkness and superstition" rant and left it at that.

I see what you mean. Yes, it's true that Orville presented religion as a foolish, yet ineluctable phase in human progress while TNG clearly presented it as nonsense full stop. And yet, at the same time I found that Orville also presented some much darker aspects of religion than TNG had, even going as far as showing it as a means of population control for the upper classes.
There was even a clear reference to Roy Moore in there imho.
I saw the final speech as more of a philosophical perspective than a crowd-pleaser. The episode went to great length to show how a benevolent gesture was turned by religion into a cruel parody of justice. I found it to be a surprising take on it for an American show, even one with a liberal bias. I couldn't help but see a harsh criticism of modern Christianity, especially with all the anguish that Kelly experienced in the episode.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm finally getting around to this series, and as a hardcore ST:TNG fan I absolutely love it. It's clearly just one giant love letter to ST:TNG and I am so okay with that. Just finished S1E7, "The Fold," and it may be my favorite episode thus far. It could've just as easily been a Polaski/Data episode on ST:TNG--well, if Polaski was likeable.

Archived