Euron's improtance? Good character?

Tyrion1991

4 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

(since he also seems to be a skinchanger)

Where do you read that Euron is a skinchanger? I've also seen theories that he's a greenseer, and don't know where that comes from, either.

4 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

He's her Valyrian heritage brought to life - a slaver, in control of powerful arcane magics, with powerful Valyrian artifacts to boot, encouraging her to indulge in the worst of her "fire and blood" instincts.

Wow! Good catch! And Euron's goal seems to be to seduce her, use her, get everything he can from her - and, of course, destroy her and cast the husk aside once he's gotten what he wants. I suspect - and hope - Dany's learned enough to be able to handle Euron. But, of course, it's Victarion who was sent to capture and deliver Daenerys to Euron. Big, powerful, stupidly vicious, and let's not get into that arm he's got now.

Some may consider the Greyjoys and Iron Islanders "dull" or "boring". Their part in the story is anything but.

Many have already pointed out some really good points in regards to Euron and his arc, intentions, and potential future plot results. I will just add one more little thing.

On 9/26/2017 at 7:07 PM, Tyrion1991 said:

Personally I am not a fan of GRRM introducing such a powerful character this late game and especially coming from the Greyjoys. Its one thing to introduce the Golden Company and have them come into the story. But the Greyjoys were a known element and I can't square their depiction in the first three books with what they do in AFFC; unless the 1000 ships figure is a gross exaggeration. 

It may help to remember that ASOIAF was set up as a traditional three-act structure. And in addition to this, George decided from the (near) beginning that important people will die along the way, just as he planned to have important people join the cast along the way. I guess I wouldn't let the timing worry you too much as Euron was not a retcon situation, if that was your thought.

To anyone in general, if you are like me and have to work with your hands a lot-lot, and end up listening or re-listening to stories while you work because you do not have the chance to sit and re-read as often as you like, then you may appreciate this reading of the Foresaken chapter by this YouTube guy:

Regarding the Dragonbinder, Euron can't use that, himself, unless he's fireproof. He has a slave blow the horn because he apparently knows what happens. And if he or Victarion can't blow the horn, can they control the dragon it summons? (I haven't read any of the preview chapters, so apologies if this is addressed in them). Maybe only an actual Valyrian can blow the horn and survive. Maybe Aegon somehow comes upon the horn and it serves as a test of his supposed lineage.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

Where do you read that Euron is a skinchanger? I've also seen theories that he's a greenseer, and don't know where that comes from, either.

It's theorized because Euron says to Victarion: 

"When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly," he announced. "When I woke, I couldn't... or so the Maester said. But what if he lied?"

which is quite reminiscent of Bran after his coma dream: 

"It was just a lie," he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. "I can't fly. I can't even run."

Beyond the content, the conspicuous pairing of "fly" and "lie" connect the two passages, as well as the mention of a discouraging maester. The obvious hypothesis is that Bloodraven attempted to recruit Euron as he did Bran, and that Euron ended up pursuing the "dark side" because of his brief trip on magic. 

2 hours ago, cgrav said:

Regarding the Dragonbinder, Euron can't use that, himself, unless he's fireproof. He has a slave blow the horn because he apparently knows what happens. And if he or Victarion can't blow the horn, can they control the dragon it summons?

It would actually be kind of cool if the guy blowing the Dragonbinder horn, having cooked himself from the inside out, was then scarfed up by the arriving dragon as a quick meal. (sorry)

2 hours ago, cgrav said:

"When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,"

Yeah, but seriously - who HASN'T had these dreams? You may have detected a correlation, but I don't see how that parlays into skinchanger, nor even greenseer. Will have to wait on George RR's text to find out.

1 hour ago, zandru said:

Yeah, but seriously - who HASN'T had these dreams? You may have detected a correlation, but I don't see how that parlays into skinchanger, nor even greenseer. Will have to wait on George RR's text to find out.

It's just because Bran is a greenseer. I'd bet that Bloodraven or someone similar (Quaith?) invaded Euron's mind like Bran's, but he felt cheated when he didn't have magical abilities upon awakening, and decided to pursue magic without Yoda/Luke type training that Bran is getting.

I don't think Euron is a greenseer or skinchanger. Those abilities are innate and seem to require practice to develop, and I think part of Euron is about showing the side of magic that is achieved with blood instead, requiring no actually special ability of the practitioner. Anyone an drink Shade of the Evening or spill another person's blood, but abilities like Bran's and Dany's appear to be innate and require nothing other than their own willpower to exercise.

I don't think Euron is meant to be a nemesis to Dany, that's way too telegraphed not to be a red herring. He will steal a dragon from her through Victarion, but Dany herself has too many plot points to tie up in Essos; there is no time for her to also deal with Euron, certainly not in Winds.

It's more likely that he will serve as an antagonist to people trying to escape across the Narrow Sea in the wake of the Others' invasion, particularly Sansa and potentially Jon. His stated goal is to feast on a dying Westeros. Dany and the dragons are just a means to an end, and he already sent someone else to get them for him.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, Tyrion1991 said:

Plus he breaks the rule that sorcery is a sword without a hilt since it seems to be the bedrock of his power. If it nets him a dragon, which a lot of people are very convinced it will; seems a tad out of touch with what other characters have to go through when using magic.

Euron's arc is nowhere near complete.  It's still ascending.  The bitch will bite off his member soon enough.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, astonedtargaryen said:

Book Euron is a little too...high fantasy for me.

Yes. Book Euron is Elric of Melniboné writ Viking.  It annoys me.  Euron annoys me.

But on the other hand while everyone else was playing the Game of Thrones, he was off grinding levels and amassing phat looks, and training his guild to raid together.

His willingness to exploit the benefits of other cultures and break social taboos of his own, plus surround himself with an eclectic ecclesiastical entourage, reminds me of Kublai Kahn.

So even though he annoys me, he's still kind of cool.  That  *really* annoys me.

39 minutes ago, Reekazoid said:

Yes. Book Euron is Elric of Melniboné writ Viking.  It annoys me.  Euron annoys me.

But on the other hand while everyone else was playing the Game of Thrones, he was off grinding levels and amassing phat looks, and training his guild to raid together.

His willingness to exploit the benefits of other cultures and break social taboos of his own, plus surround himself with an eclectic ecclesiastical entourage, reminds me of Kublai Kahn.

So even though he annoys me, he's still kind of cool.  That  *really* annoys me.

I don't see Elric as the inspiration for Euron. 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't see Elric as the inspiration for Euron. 

No,no I'm not claiming that Elric literally *is* the inspiration for Euron!  Parallels don't have to be direct or even intentional.

Just that Euron really reminds me of Elric with regard to his fearless wanderings where no one else would go, gains in power and knowledge that no one else can get, possession of artifacts lost to time, and all that. 

He's basically a superman (in the Nietzsche sense, not the DC Comics sense). He's always a stranger in a strange land, even when he returns home. Etc.

I'm terms of personality, Euron reminds me more of Yrkoon. 

Elric always annoyed me too, with all his awesomeness, even though I love his stories. I read the Stormbringer saga several times and thoroughly enjoyed it, and own the graphic novels as well which are phenomenal.

One thing about the Elric stories that I really liked is that even though Elric is just stupidly powerful, the more he important he gets to the fight for Balance, the more notice he attracts from powerful beings that can complicate his life.

Very much looking forward to Euron getting knocked down a peg or three, hopefully soon.

Love the avatar btw!

2 hours ago, Reekazoid said:

No,no I'm not claiming that Elric literally *is* the inspiration for Euron!  Parallels don't have to be direct or even intentional.

Just that Euron really reminds me of Elric with regard to his fearless wanderings where no one else would go, gains in power and knowledge that no one else can get, possession of artifacts lost to time, and all that. 

He's basically a superman (in the Nietzsche sense, not the DC Comics sense). He's always a stranger in a strange land, even when he returns home. Etc.

I'm terms of personality, Euron reminds me more of Yrkoon. 

Elric always annoyed me too, with all his awesomeness, even though I love his stories. I read the Stormbringer saga several times and thoroughly enjoyed it, and own the graphic novels as well which are phenomenal.

One thing about the Elric stories that I really liked is that even though Elric is just stupidly powerful, the more he important he gets to the fight for Balance, the more notice he attracts from powerful beings that can complicate his life.

Very much looking forward to Euron getting knocked down a peg or three, hopefully soon.

Love the avatar btw!

:thumbsup:

He's a good character and a compelling 'villain' but honestly I feel that he and all the other characters introduced in AFFC/ADWD, as well as their plotlines, are additions to the main plot that weren't needed. The expansion of the story after ASOS leaves me feeling fatigued.

B)  Always a fun one!

Man you never know, if this one plays out and Euron turns out to have been "The Corsair King" then there's a chance Missandei might even recognise him should they meet.

I wonder what the Crow's Eye thinks of those deadly Naathi butterflies. I don't know how he would manage to aqquire them but he surley must have spent some time in the close-to-Naath Basilisk Isles during his time at sea. Sailors are famed for their gossip so such a powerful potential weapon could be on the Iron King's radar.

The Butterfly Fever is said to be a disturbing number, symptoms include fever, fits of exposive spasms that resemble some wild dance, sweating blood and finally flesh sloughing off one's bones - it certainly sounds like something Euron "Charnel Pits" Greyjoy would appreciate.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:21 PM, zandru said:

Wow! Good catch! And Euron's goal seems to be to seduce her, use her, get everything he can from her - and, of course, destroy her and cast the husk aside once he's gotten what he wants. I suspect - and hope - Dany's learned enough to be able to handle Euron. But, of course, it's Victarion who was sent to capture and deliver Daenerys to Euron. Big, powerful, stupidly vicious, and let's not get into that arm he's got now.

Some may consider the Greyjoys and Iron Islanders "dull" or "boring". Their part in the story is anything but.

I've seen theories that he is warging into the dusky woman he gives to Victarion, which is why she is so compliant most times but her one visceral reaction to anyone on board the ship is Moqorro, who has mystical abilities of his own (a normal slave should welcome priests of R'hllor, which overall seems to be a religion opposed to chattel slavery, if the Volantene's reaction to Benerro is any example).

And I cannot take much credit.  I read some fan blogs and they tend to pick up on it before I do.

Archived