The Irishman (2018) Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino, Pesci

drawkcabi

For as far back as I can remember, I've wanted another Scorsese gangster movie with De Niro and Pesci.

I think I'm as excited about this movie as I am any new Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or James Bond movie.

Pesci is coming out of retirement for this, that is awesome, and Pacino is playing Jimmy Hoffa too!

Harvey Keitel and Bobby Cannavale are in it too? Fuhgeddaboutit!

There are some conflicting reports about whether this movie will be out in 2018 or 2019, IMDB says 2018 but it could be 2019.

And, it looks like it's going to be released directly to Netflix for streaming. Interesting. That could be a serious sign that traditional Hollywood is in trouble like some people have been saying.

First look at The Irishman

I generally don't enjoy Scorsese films, but I agree he's an extraordinary talent and there might be no one alive I'd more enjoy talking films with. Just...he thinks he's painting mobsters in a realistic sense, but he also admits they were his neighbourhood heroes as a kid, and imo it shows through. I've sadly known a few mob guys, and there is nothing anti-hero about them. They're just selfish psychopaths who congregate. Watching them glorified...even in a tragic sense...is problematic for me. I think for example Coppola was ultimately more committed to showing the evil at the heart of even their sense of morality...Tarentino's conversation between Keitel and...drawing a blank...in Reservoir Dogs (about who it's right to murder vs. wrong to murder) is perfect in identifying that, though he too likes to make them romantic characters. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Been waiting for this for what seems like forever. Not only for the reunion of De Niro and Pesci, but it will also be the first time Scorsese and Pacino work together. This one could be special. 

Yeah, I forgot they were even making it. Last I heard Pesci was in then out then maybe in again. Glad to see it's actually proceeding with him. My expectations will be through the roof with this one.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

I generally don't enjoy Scorsese films, but I agree he's an extraordinary talent and there might be no one alive I'd more enjoy talking films with. Just...he thinks he's painting mobsters in a realistic sense, but he also admits they were his neighbourhood heroes as a kid, and imo it shows through. I've sadly known a few mob guys, and there is nothing anti-hero about them. They're just selfish psychopaths who congregate

This made me laugh for some reason. Simple but true.

I don't want to rain on the parade, and I really hope this is good, but I'm extremely wary and not remotely hyped.

The number of decent performances (to say nothing of great ones) that Pacino has done in the past 25 years is extremely limited, and De Niro's recent resume is not much better (he does have a few good supporting actor roles in dramadies, but that's about it). The last time they teamed up, Righteous Kill in 2008, the result was a boring disappointment. Plus the one other time Pesci came out of retirement it was not for an amazing film, but De Niro was involved, so him coming back is no indication of anything. 

Scorsese is still very good, though not at the height of his powers anymore. Maybe he can drag great performances out of his leading cast, but I think the odds are against him.

I hope this movie is great, but the odds are against it. And I think the main motivation for everyone involved, except perhaps Scorsese, is that Netflix offered a staggering amount of money to everyone involved (They paid $105 million for the distribution rights and are entirely financing the $125 million budget).

On 9/27/2017 at 6:19 AM, Fez said:

I don't want to rain on the parade, and I really hope this is good, but I'm extremely wary and not remotely hyped.

The number of decent performances (to say nothing of great ones) that Pacino has done in the past 25 years is extremely limited, and De Niro's recent resume is not much better (he does have a few good supporting actor roles in dramadies, but that's about it). The last time they teamed up, Righteous Kill in 2008, the result was a boring disappointment. Plus the one other time Pesci came out of retirement it was not for an amazing film, but De Niro was involved, so him coming back is no indication of anything. 

Scorsese is still very good, though not at the height of his powers anymore. Maybe he can drag great performances out of his leading cast, but I think the odds are against him.

I hope this movie is great, but the odds are against it. And I think the main motivation for everyone involved, except perhaps Scorsese, is that Netflix offered a staggering amount of money to everyone involved (They paid $105 million for the distribution rights and are entirely financing the $125 million budget).

Pretty much my thoughts.

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Eh it’s not like Pacino and De Niro forgot how to act. They’ve just done mostly shit projects. 

Silence and Wolf of Wallstreet were both top notch, Scorsese hasn’t lost a step. 

No reason to not be hype for me. 

:agree:

The one and only thing I'm concerned about it the de-aging CGI they're going to use for De Niro. 

I don't want to be a hater, and it would be fantastic if this was a great movie, so I'm not going to post again after this: 

I'm not just talking about the blockbusters, even the smaller movies where they were/should be trying have not been that good. I'm talking stuff like Pacino in Phil Spector or Stand Up Guys, and De Niro in What Just Happened or Hands of Stone. Mostly De Niro has just done a million terrible comedies and bad crime dramas playing off his great work; only David O. Russell has gotten good performances out of him in a long time (and only good, not great). I mostly can't speak for Pacino's stage work, but I did see him perform Shakespeare once live, and it was not good (as is probably evident from his Shakespeare movies).

There's even a scatterplot for De Niro's career (leading roles only).

Archived