Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

WRITERS [source]

Episode 1 by Dave Hill.

Episode 2 by Bryan Cogman. 

The remaining 4 episodes by Benioff & Weiss.

DIRECTORS [source]

Miguel Sapochnik (possibly 3 episodes) and David Nutter.

The final episode 6 to be directed by Benioff & Weiss. 

BUDGET [source]

So it stands to reason that if each episode is roughly half again as long as the standard $10 million installment, then it should cost $15 million—a.k.a. half again as much or more. Thrones sound designer Paula Fairfield told VF that there were more dragon scenes in Season 7 than in any of the other seasons combined, and we can only expect there to be even more in Season 8 as our heroes gather around Daenerys for the Great War to Come. Fairfield even teased that we’ll likely see a dragon-on-dragon battle between Drogon and his undead brother, Viserion.

FILMING [source I, source II]

The fantasy drama’s eighth season is slated to begin in October and run as late as August 2018. (Or June 2018) 

“Nikolaj: I knew what was going to happen for the first three seasons. After that, it’s been a season at a time. You get the scripts a month before we start shooting, or six weeks, and then you know what’s going to happen that season. But, I don’t know what’s going to happen next season. We go back in October, so maybe in the next few weeks, we’ll get the scripts and I’ll find out. I’m very curious.”

The show isn't actually filming multiple endings. [source]

"Nikolaj: Do you think that's true? It seems really stupid to me. I mean if it's true I don't believe it, but I don't know, maybe. I mean, I haven't read the script, so unless they will show several endings that could be a twist, they're not going to waste that money. They know how expensive it is to shoot. You're not going to waste $100,000 a day to shoot something you're not going to use. It's not going to happen.

CASTING [source]

Northern farmer, aged 25 – 35. He’s a straightforward honest man of simple tastes who works on the land. The role is currently scheduled to shoot the week commencing November 17th.

Northern girl, sassy and attractive, aged 18 – 25. The character is a sexy and confident Northern girl playing a good, memorable one-scene part in one episode, playing opposite leading cast. Her part is currently set to shoot the week commencing November 6th.

Northern sentry, aged 18 – 25. The show’s looking for a characterful young Northern actor with great timing to play a small part opposite leading cast. This role is currently scheduled to shoot the first week of December.

Sailor, aged 35- 50. He’s a rough-and ready sea-faring type with a weathered face and strong presence. This part is scheduled to shoot the week commencing December 11th.

Guard #1 is in his 20’s, and is physically very fit, able to handle himself in any fight. He’s scheduled to shoot in the first week of December. His looks aren’t specified, coloring-wise, and there’s no mention of accents, so this character could pop up anywhere.

Guard #2 is in his 30’s. They’re looking for an actor that’s tall, and athletic with a military feel. The character is a professional clear-thinking guard who is dependable. The part has two days shooting on November 1st and 2nd in Spain and though it’s a small one-line part, he does interact with leading cast. It’s noted that the role is being cast with a white actor in this instance. But what this casting notice really does is confirm for us that Game of Thrones will be in Spain in November!

FILMING NEWS

Two main battles: Winterfell and King's Landing. [source]

Ironborn Spoilers, involving Theon and Yara:

Spoiler

According to a reliable source, filming has been taking place this week in the Banbridge, Northern Ireland filming studios. We’ve learned that the area being used is the ship and green screen set, one that Game of Thrones regularly reuses for various ships throughout the show, re-dressing as needed. The really exciting news though is that our source tells us this filming involves both Theon (Alfie Allen) and Yara Greyjoy (Gemma Whelan).  The actors were seen shooting with men playing Ironborn followers.

However, no other major characters were spotted during this filming which indicates to us that Euron (Pilou Asbæk) was not present, and it’s possible Yara may now be free from her murderous uncle’s clutches. [source] 

15 hours ago, TRILOGY said:

They’re looking for an actor that’s tall, and athletic with a military feel. The character is a professional clear-thinking guard who is dependable. The part has two days shooting on November 1st and 2nd in Spain and though it’s a small one-line part, he does interact with leading cast. It’s noted that the role is being cast with a white actor in this instance. But what this casting notice really does is confirm for us that Game of Thrones will be in Spain in November!

This one here feels like misdirection with the casting title. Could well be the leader of the Golden Company, whatever they'll end up turning out like.

Really happy and excited to hear that Sapochnik and Nutter are back directing.  A big issue with this season I felt was sub-par directing particularly in Beyond the Wall.  You know that these 2 directors can ace the big battle scenes and direct them in a way that makes sense and isn't too confusing.

Yes, the budget is great as well because it gives me hope we will see the direwolves again.  I definitely need some Ghost action and some Nymeria super-pack action in the final battles.

1 hour ago, Tagganaro said:

Really happy and excited to hear that Sapochnik and Nutter are back directing.  A big issue with this season I felt was sub-par directing particularly in Beyond the Wall.  You know that these 2 directors can ace the big battle scenes and direct them in a way that makes sense and isn't too confusing.

Beyond the Wall (Alan Taylor) and Stormborn (Mark Mylod) were particularly bad. Sapo is a good director, some great action scenes and not so much over-acting. 

3 hours ago, TRILOGY said:

Beyond the Wall (Alan Taylor) and Stormborn (Mark Mylod) were particularly bad. Sapo is a good director, some great action scenes and not so much over-acting. 

Oh yeah, Beyond the Wall was one of the worst directing jobs on the show.  I don't know that any of the plot machinations that were illogical to begin with could be glossed over by good directing, but I'm pretty confident the episode would have been a lot better with Sapochnik and at least some of the issues and logic gaps would not exist.

19 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Once people start giving other people regards on a third party's request, run.

Hopefully D&D are not going back to the pregnant in order to do a vicious pregnant stabbing back of tricks again. 

Nutter is also famous for the Mel Chosen One burning loved one trick. 

Nutter is just had news all around.

5 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I think they understand that kind of shock value is spent.

I think, anyway :P

Who knows. Even amongst the fandom many predictions for Jon and Dany is a been there done that prediction:

Dany dies in the war => boring been there done that with Jon and Yigritte

Jon dies and Dany survives => boring been there done that with Dany and Drogo

Jon sacrifices Dany => boring been there done that with Stannis and Shireen 

they both die=> wait, the Robb and Talisa story again?!? 

On 27/09/2017 at 4:27 AM, TRILOGY said:

DIRECTORS [source]

Miguel Sapochnik (possibly 3 episodes) and David Nutter.

The final episode 6 to be directed by Benioff & Weiss. 

Allow me to punch the air and rub my hands together! Even if he were to direct one episode, I would be thrilled. The notion he is directing as much as half of the final series feel like a gift.

As to the casting call, looks like we'll be getting a few one-scene wonders training in Jon's "territorial army" Northern.

Game of Thrones Season 8 to begin filming soon as Maisie Williams arrives in Belfast. Undoubtedly, many of Williams’ co-stars will return to Northern Ireland as well in the coming days. Things will get particularly interesting when location shooting starts, in Northern Ireland and Spain, and we get our first glimpses of the characters as they will appear next year and the scenes we will witness in the final season of Game of Thrones.

[source]

I can't wait for leaks, give me all the spoilers. :P

Sidenote: I hope Sophie wears her natural hair, the wig was awful. :mellow:

11 hours ago, TRILOGY said:

Game of Thrones Season 8 to begin filming soon as Maisie Williams arrives in Belfast. Undoubtedly, many of Williams’ co-stars will return to Northern Ireland as well in the coming days. Things will get particularly interesting when location shooting starts, in Northern Ireland and Spain, and we get our first glimpses of the characters as they will appear next year and the scenes we will witness in the final season of Game of Thrones.

[source]

I can't wait for leaks, give me all the spoilers. :P

Sidenote: I hope Sophie wears her natural hair, the wig was awful. :mellow:

Sophie dyed her hair red to play Jean Grey in the new X-Men movie filming earlier this year, so hopefully she'll be wigless.

Unlike last year, we haven't gotten any news about extra casting calls for Spain filming. Hopefully, some information trickles out.

• 4 months later...

Major New Game of Thrones Season 8 Spoilers (X)

Spoiler

Winterfell will burn — all of it, if the scope of that fire is anything to go by! 

That said, we just don’t know. Maybe the flame is blue and it’s the Night King who is behind this, as one may expect. Perhaps, for some reason, Daenerys and her two remaining dragons are behind this. Or hell, who knows, maybe Cersei has some wildfire left and managed to march north and repaint the Stark’s stronghold green.

Whatever the case, this is a big spoiler. At some point in season eight, the Stark home will be no more. Will it be a mid-season conflict and the survivors will retreat south? Or will it be at the end, in which case Game of Thrones will go out with a very literal bang?

Some updates:

- Game of Thrones is coming back to Dubrovnik for the final season.The tents to hold the camera equipment have already been installed near the Old City of Dubrovnik, on the Pile Gate, suggesting that filming could take place in the Lovrijenac Fortress, or the Red Keep, and the Pile Bay. It is believed that filming will only last for a few days in Dubrovnik as the series comes to a grand finale, but the rumours are that it will be a big finish with many of the leading characters. No extras. (X) 

Spoiler

Kit and Lena are confirmed. 

- Season eight filming continues going strong in Northern Ireland, yet sooner or later the production will have to move to locations only certain countries can offer. Along with Spain (probably), Iceland is one such country. The Nordic island has a rich Game of Thrones history; it has depicted everything from the lands beyond the Wall to the Vale and Slaver’s Bay since season two. With the White Walkers beyond the Wall and winter setting in as far south as King’s Landing, you may not be surprised to learn this time the show is exclusively returning to film in winter, just as they did last year. (X)

Spoiler

Kit and Emilia were spotted in Iceland.

Battle Scenes:

"We have now got, you know, teams of people working 24 hours a day, trying to get the build ready. Miguel Sapochnik’s just started shooting, so we’ve got sort of his massive sequences that...particularly in March. We’re so busy with massive things in March. It’ll be amazing." (X)

37 minutes ago, TRILOGY said:

Major New Game of Thrones Season 8 Spoilers (X)

Hide contents

Winterfell will burn — all of it, if the scope of that fire is anything to go by! 

That said, we just don’t know. Maybe the flame is blue and it’s the Night King who is behind this, as one may expect. Perhaps, for some reason, Daenerys and her two remaining dragons are behind this. Or hell, who knows, maybe Cersei has some wildfire left and managed to march north and repaint the Stark’s stronghold green.

Whatever the case, this is a big spoiler. At some point in season eight, the Stark home will be no more. Will it be a mid-season conflict and the survivors will retreat south? Or will it be at the end, in which case Game of Thrones will go out with a very literal bang?

Some updates:

- Game of Thrones is coming back to Dubrovnik for the final season.The tents to hold the camera equipment have already been installed near the Old City of Dubrovnik, on the Pile Gate, suggesting that filming could take place in the Lovrijenac Fortress, or the Red Keep, and the Pile Bay. It is believed that filming will only last for a few days in Dubrovnik as the series comes to a grand finale, but the rumours are that it will be a big finish with many of the leading characters. No extras. (X) 

Hide contents

Kit and Lena are confirmed. 

- Season eight filming continues going strong in Northern Ireland, yet sooner or later the production will have to move to locations only certain countries can offer. Along with Spain (probably), Iceland is one such country. The Nordic island has a rich Game of Thrones history; it has depicted everything from the lands beyond the Wall to the Vale and Slaver’s Bay since season two. With the White Walkers beyond the Wall and winter setting in as far south as King’s Landing, you may not be surprised to learn this time the show is exclusively returning to film in winter, just as they did last year. (X)

Hide contents

Kit and Emilia were spotted in Iceland.

Exciting fucking news. 

Season is going to be a whole lot more unpredictable than previously imagined. 

15 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Exciting fucking news. 

Season is going to be a whole lot more unpredictable than previously imagined. 

Yes, it's exciting.

More Info on Iceland:

Spoiler

On Tuesday we reported that travellers had spotted Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke in Iceland, suggesting Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen would make at least one trip north of the wall in the eight and last season of the hit HBO series. Now the local news site Vísir reports that the scenes being shot in Iceland are relatively small in scale, and that most actors will be Icelandic extras. None of the other stars of the series are expected to participate in the shooting. 

(X)

Archived