u.s. politics: now guaranteed to contain no less than 35% u.s. political content

all swedes are racist

15 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

^^^^

Yeah, his reactions so far have been really bizarre. Like he keeps bringing up their debt. Hey, howsabout we feed these people, get them the medicine they need, get the power back on, then we can talk finances.   

Has anyone got a side-by-side for Trump's reaction to a hurricane in Texas versus a hurricane if Puerto Rico?

Trumpy, you’re doing a bang up job there!

Not.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/9/29/16387616/trump-puerto-rico-response

In the latest episode of White House braggadocio, President Trump boasted Friday about his fantastic record in Puerto Rico “with respect to loss of life” following Hurricane Maria.

Trump at first seemed hesitant to acknowledge that Puerto Rico (as well as the US Virgin Islands) is part of the US and entitled to the same aid Florida and Texas got after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma struck them. On Twitter, he even suggested that Puerto Rico may not be worth fixing.

The suggestion that the people of Puerto Rico are not deserving of our help, like any other group of Americans, in the same situation is load fuckin’ bullshit.

Don't worry he is going there next week for some prime photo ops. Handing out supplies and smiling with victims will make everything better.

His tweets this morning are gross. They also echo a lot of the racist shit out there about PR looking for handouts and not taking care of themselves. Trump once again speaking for the trash heap of American culture.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Puerto Rico is also filled with factories that belong to Big Pharma, Big Aero Engineering (my aero engineer bro who has worked for the same Corp ALL HIS LIFE was shocked to learn this fact after Irma and Maria destroyed their parts plants there, so he can't get what he needs!!!!!!!), and other Big Corps.  Not to mention military bases, though finally the population there got the testing base at Vieques shut down after decades of protest of its multi-dangers to the people from ruining the drinking water, to the noise, to the occasional 'accidents', to other sorts of incidents perpetrated upon the populace.  Not to mention the tourist industry.  It also puts huge amounts of money into the federal budget due to the Jones Act's push up of the prices of everything, as well as forcing Puerto Rico to buy only US goods from US suppliers.

There are many reasons Puerto Rico is important, but for the Orange Mangled Thing, it's not as important as golfing. Perhaps, if the Thing realizes that his golfing while PR suffers is even worse optics than Price's corrupt use of airplanes, he'll do something.  maybe.  If it goes to PR and finds throwing MAGA hats to the crowd doesn't get the response he wants and the crowd won't chant 'lock her up' or cheer at his cheap racist remarks and other stupid shit, what will he do then?

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Don't worry he is going there next week for some prime photo ops. Handing out supplies and smiling with victims will make everything better.

His tweets this morning are gross. They also echo a lot of the racist shit out there about PR looking for handouts and not taking care of themselves. Trump once again speaking for the trash heap of American culture.

Then he'll tell everyone to "have fun".

Searching out secret Stormfront nazi strategizing meeting this weekend:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-supremacist-stormfront-tennessee_us_59ce6a59e4b09538b50802be?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Dubbed the “murder capital of the Internet,” Stormfront was once the most popular neo-Nazi site in the world. Stormfront’s members committed nearly 100 murders between 2009 and 2014, including 77 carried out by the Norwegian terrorist Anders Breivik, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups.

Nevertheless, the website remained online for about 20 years. But after the deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, where a man rammed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, killing one woman, Stormfront’s domain registrar terminated its registration. Since then, members have shared workarounds for accessing the site, which we did not confirm are effective.

A billionaire is sitting in his golf club right now (doing so on our tax dollars, by the way) attacking dying people for needing his help. Then goes to drink from the "muh fake news" well, accusing the San Juan mayor of lying about the relief effort to attack him. Because it always has to be about him.

History will not look back on this administration very kindly, nor should it.

Just now, KingintheNorth4 said:

A billionaire is sitting in his golf club right now (doing so on our tax dollars, by the way) attacking dying people for needing his help. Then goes to drink from the "muh fake news" well, accusing the San Juan mayor of lying about the relief effort to attack him. Because it always has to be about him.

How can anyone deny he's a racist / white supremacist etc. with his entirely different narratives about the aftermaths of the hurricanes between Texas and Florida (where, recall he's got a significant personal investment) and Puerto Rico?  He constantly praised Texas for resilience, cooperation, initiative and self reliance, while he whines that the Puerto Ricans just sit there waiting to be told what to do and their hands out.

It's beyond disgusting.  Particularly in light of exactly how every Puerto Rican and their friends whom I know, and the millions I don't know, are working day and night organizing, donating everything from a variety of skills, clothing, food, water, money etc.  But there are no ways to get the materials to the people who are without helicopters.

People are literally dying.  We all know it.

At the same time romperman whines that there's nothing that can be done because big ocean island and debt.

I never want to hear about how he is a master manipulator with the media, because he isn't. He's just a fucking blowhard and the media has no issue switching narratives themselves to get views. 

Trump is an arrogant and ignorant prick. He's a bigot, and he is most definitely a white supremacists. And the Republican party is filled with them as well or at the very least enablers. 

This is worse than Hurricane Katrina and what W Bush did.

17 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

We are the best-educated generation in history, but we're stuck because the boomers are too selfish to retire. I had two boomer co-workers who spouses made well into 6 figures. When the recession hit, they refused to retire and let young people with young families hang onto their jobs. Those kids lost their jobs and their health insurance. It was the most selfish thing I've ever seen in the work place.

They're technologically inept and terrified of a changing world and work force. They're threatened by the millenials, who are not lazy. They just don't understand why things are done because that's the way it's always been done. We need their energy--it's time for the boomers to get out of the way. 

/rant

I knew there was a Hillary joke hidden somewhere. On a related note feel the Bern. Anyway... Not that I don't enjoy beating the babyboomers with their own walking sticks, but that's an awfully broad brush (I could make another age joke along the line the broad brush is probably needed to draw line that is visble for the boomers, but nevermind that) ... 

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

You assume there will be anybody alive to write the history of how the US started a nuclear war? Joking aside. Don't forget the voters. Remember he didn't usurp power, you guys put him there. And as I said before, it's the exact faulty product that was advertised.

12 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Um, what?  So, you've put percentages on Congress' failure rate?  Why?  We should be pushing his failure, not accepting it.  I do this for a living and I don't know the numbers on it.  The number that matters is:  ZERO.  Trump and the GOP failed.  That needs to be repeated as much as possible.

Let's chill a bit, k?

I'm not accepting the failure; I'm pointing out that it is part of McConnell and the modern Republican's strategy to be fine with failure as an option, and in fact it is very likely for all but the most trivial legislation. They want congress gridlocked, they want fewer policy and benefits to succeed. This isn't accepting anything any more than my pointing out Trump's racism is accepting of it.

Again, who give a shit?  Kush beat Bannon IRT influence, and vice versa IRT Alabama.  Is that surprising?  All it means to me is there's much more low hanging fruit.

The conversation was about whether or not Kushner would be next. I don't think he will. 

How bout we just mobilize, identify everybody that is pissed off, make sure they get to the polls, then sort it out and look at the scoreboard afterwards?  Any prediction now is worthless, and I think we should stop giving a shit about looking at models people like me crap out in a few days anyway.

Yes, I do base it on my gut along with some data. So? I don't think that it's impossible to change, and I'm working on making it better, but I also recognize that short of becoming dictator I've not got a ton of power here to influence things. 

And all else being equal I'd rather be realistic about things instead of blindly doing something that may or may not help matters.

As to predictions being worthless - they're inaccurate, but they're not worthless. What they tell me at least is that even though polling numbers are bad for Trump there is still a LOT of work to be done, and one cannot rest on simply people turning out because they hate Trump. 

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm not accepting the failure; I'm pointing out that it is part of McConnell and the modern Republican's strategy to be fine with failure as an option, and in fact it is very likely for all but the most trivial legislation. They want congress gridlocked, they want fewer policy and benefits to succeed. This isn't accepting anything any more than my pointing out Trump's racism is accepting of it.

But that's part and parcel of the failure. It was fine when the goal was to deny Obama any sort of legislative victory. You could spin the gridlock as a win in that environment. Now that his party has the Presidency and the House and Senate it simply doesn't wash. Now you are in a position to get things done. That they can't speaks to a fundamental failure in both the party's strategy and McConnell's lack of leadership. 

On 9/27/2017 at 7:09 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

To be fair, rich white people in California that are largely liberal pretty much have their own county as well. (Marin county) You can live there if you're not white, but you need a fuckton of money to do so.

But there will always be a moon over Marin.

55 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

But there will always be a moon over Marin.

Yeah, it always struck me as an odd place. My mother and grandma used to take my brother and I over to Sausalito a few times a year, usually for a fancy brunch at some hoity-toity restaurant out on the water. It's this ultra-liberal bastion, but all you see is white folks. Lot of ex-hippies tooling around in high end luxury cars. Quite possibly the whitest town in the Bay Area. 

/And seconded regarding the Dead Kennedys. The greatest Bay Area Punk Band ever, and arguably among the best Punk acts of all time. 

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it always struck me as an odd place. My mother and grandma used to take my brother and I over to Sausalito a few times a year, usually for a fancy brunch at some hoity-toity restaurant out on the water. It's this ultra-liberal bastion, but all you see is white folks. Lot of ex-hippies tooling around in high end luxury cars. Quite possibly the whitest town in the Bay Area. 

Which sort of makes it remarkable that Sausalito shares a public school district with Marin City:

http://www.smcsd.org/index.php/about-us/superintendents-message

Just now, Ormond said:

Which sort of makes it remarkable that Sausalito shares a public school district with Marin City:

http://www.smcsd.org/index.php/about-us/superintendents-message

Yeah, they talk the talk in terms of their politics, but it's kind of striking to witness the physical reality of the place. 

What's kind of interesting now is that those shipyard cities that are mentioned in your first link (like say Richmond and Hunter's Point) are looking at a bit of a boom in terms of Real estate value, given their geographical closeness to San Francisco proper. Not sure if the same thing is occurring in Marin City or not, but I would have to imagine that they are looking at a similar explosion in Real Estate value.

@Kalbear Kushner is Proyas. He will take the fall eventually, but he's conditioned for a much bigger one than any minor scandal. Kush is there to take the fall when Trump himself might actually get hit by the shit, that's the value of having family as the fall guy. Until then I imagine he's safe, after that point? I suspect he'll find himself divorced too.

Archived