u.s. politics: now guaranteed to contain no less than 35% u.s. political content

all swedes are racist

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Maybe one of our resident psychologists can comment on why this happens, it's just something I don't understand.  There's no logic to it.  Like, clearly more guns do not prevent mass shootings.  

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Maybe one of our resident psychologists can comment on why this happens, it's just something I don't understand.  There's no logic to it.  Like, clearly more guns do not prevent mass shootings.  

People think it'll be harder to buy guns, as legislation might be passed. So the market bets on people buying guns to pre-empt potential legislation.

I'd been with a friend last night.  Old School types we didn't look at phones, but ate, drank some very good wine and held excellent conversations about many subject.  Back home I didn't turn on either radio or check my e-mail or anything of that ilk.  Got into bed with Hillary Clinton's What Happened.  I was in the section in which she discusses the NRA and mass shootings.  Woke up this AM to the terrible news.  And hearing romperman dog whistling the flag and promising to come to Las Vegas to comfort the city.  He still hasn't been to Puerto Rico.

2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Which is absurd, Obama didn't take their guns as they feared, Sandy Hook didn't move the nedle, do they really think Trump and a Republican congress are going to open a meaningful discussion about guns in America?

Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns. 

23 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns. 

Isn't it quite bigoted to make such groundless generalizations about Americans? As I understand it, just one man carried out the Vegas shooting. Whatever issue you have with guns, likening Americans to irrational gun-nuts is just really... crass.

1 minute ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

Isn't it quite bigoted to make such groundless generalizations about Americans? As I understand it, just one man carried out the Vegas shooting. Whatever issue you have with guns, likening Americans to irrational gun-nuts is just really... crass.

No, it isn't.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/americas-handgun-boom-in-4-charts/266305/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/12/15/what-makes-americas-gun-culture-totally-unique-in-the-world-as-demonstrated-in-four-charts/?utm_term=.45f02099fe9e

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3t2hv4

9 minutes ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

I feel a graph coming on.

7 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Except it happens more in America than any other developed country.

So no, not really a generalization. Just an easily observable phenomenon.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

No one is debating the incidence, let alone the differentials. Read Arryn's quote, "Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns." What does the Vegas shooting have to do with generalizing the behavior of Americans? There are over 300,000,000 Americans and just over 30,000 violent deaths as a result of firearm use. If my math is correct, that's .0001% per person. That snipe at Americans is nothing more than a bigoted response.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Everything about Conservative America is about feelings right now, and the overwhelmingly dominant feeling is fear. It's just like Trump's Coward Wall. It doesn't matter that it's ineffective, impractical, and not financially feasible. It makes people feel better. It's a safety blanket.

Same thing with guns. A mass shooting like this happens and it hits them on two levels. The first, that they want to be prepared for the next shooting. That maybe that gun in their pocket will give them the extra edge. And what could it hurt, right? The second is that they know the Left will be trying to pass more restrictive gun legislation. If this legislation passes, they want to get their shaking, sweaty palms on whatever firepower they might need to ride out the apocalypse while they still can. And if it fails, well then they have something else to rub in liberals' faces.

^Yup, this is pretty much it. 

10 billion rounds of ammo sold in the USA each year, by the way. So we can expect these sort of attacks to keep happening, while gun and ammo manufactures make a fucking killing. Hell, if i were one for conspiracy theories I'd be wondering if the NRA isn't setting some of these shootings up themselves. After all, the dude supposedly shot himself before any police actually identified him as the shooter blah blah blah.

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Not engaging with this narrative anymore, as it is pointless.

Keep running from the truth, man. You totally got this! It'll probably never catch up. 

5 minutes ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

No one is debating the incidence, let alone the differentials. Read Arryn's quote, "Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns." What does the Vegas shooting have to do with generalizing the behavior of Americans? There are over 300,000,000 Americans and just over 30,000 violent deaths as a result of firearm use. If my math is correct, that's .0001% per person. That snipe at Americans is nothing more than a bigoted response.

Because he wasn't talking about the Vegas shooting or gun violence, but the inability of the United States Government (the leaders which we elect to represent the entirety of the US) to pass any kind of legislation despite events like this.

It isn't bigoted.  It's the truth of our leadership that is there to represent the whole.

59 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

He's entitled to his opinion, including any context he may think is relevant.

Opinions based on excluding context are absolutely worthless. He's entitled, but he's not entitled to being taken seriously after espousing unsubstantiated views. 

12 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

If we ignore his actual words, then sure.

If you're feeling particularly pedantic, stating X and Y do not necessarily = Z is not a generalization at all. It's in fact the reverse.

But I suspect that's not really what's bothering you.

The potentially interesting thing about this event is the target. If this is indeed a terrorist act, what ideology do you think the shooter might hold, given that he targeted a Country Music Festival? I hope they find some sort of diary or manifesto regarding this guy. I heard a short interview with his brother driving into work this morning, and it was of the "I had no idea" variety. He mentioned that he didn't even know that his brother owned a gun, let alone 10. 

31 minutes ago, Lew Theobald said:

If we ignore his actual words, then sure.

Exactly. I'm sorry I'm not a mind-reader. I take your words as is. And even if you were to you add the "context" he'd be still talking about Americans, not America or the Government--not unless he attempts to retcon some synonomy among all three.

Archived